Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a SP101 in 357. He tried a cylinder of Grizzly 200 grain hardcast bear loads. Two primers popped out of the casings, and he couldn't eject the empties at all without taking the gun home and using a dowel to push them out. Is this just to be expected with the gun/ammo combination? Or should he consider getting the cylinders reamed?
Shoe Automotive tire Leg Road surface Asphalt

·
Registered
258 Posts
Rather than looking at the gun, most likely it is the ammo at fault. Popped out primers are something I have never seen, but I mostly reload. I have loaded some pretty hot loads, but nothing like that. I also have an SP-101. Your son looks like a young stud, recoil probably doesn't much effect him. It is effecting the revolver though.
Sometimes the best plan is to cut your loses and move on to a different loaded ammo.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My son has a SP101 in 357. He tried a cylinder of Grizzly 200 grain hardcast bear loads. Two primers popped out of the casings, and he couldn't eject the empties at all without taking the gun home and using a dowel to push them out. Is this just to be expected with the gun/ammo combination? Or should he consider getting the cylinders reamed? View attachment 171412
Like everyone is saying, sounds like an ammo problem not a gun issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why choose that ammo for a small frame magnum? I thought Federal 180gr JSP .357mag loads were terribly uncomfortable in an SP101. I fired two rounds and handed the revolver back to its owner. My thoughts are that if you need more thump than 158gr magnums, get a GP-100.
I agree that the gp 100 would be better. He was intrigued about trying them. The recoil was painful. He's not doing it again with the sp and is talking about getting a gp100. Thank you.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Now he knows what ammo NOT to shoot in his SP101. I am not sure why he would want to shoot those in such a small revolver anyway...

Reactions: John E.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Does your son have to worry about bears, just wondering? If so maybe step up to next size caliber revolver. If he was just checking out something different might not use that ammo again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had exactly one blown primer since 1967. It was in a handloaded 280 Remington round fired in a Model 700 Remington. It was completely my fault - I did not measure the new, unfired cases for length, and the extra neck caused extreme pressure on a medium load. The case extracted (just barely), and the bolt face was covered in carbon with primer material fragments everywhere. The case head pushed against the bolt face so hard you couldn't read the head stamp!

No more shots were fired until I took apart the other 9 rounds and checked them carefully. After checking powder weight, projectiles, and primers, I checked case length - they were WAY long. I trimmed the cases back to spec, reloaded the cartridges, very carefully fired them and had no troubles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would contact Grizzly, the primers should not be popping out. Would kind of like a clearer picture of the primers that didn't come out, just to see what they look like.
I'll ask my son to see the brass and grab some pics when he comes back around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'll ask my son to see the brass and grab some pics when he comes back around.
Other thing I would be curious to know if he has been shooting 38's through the thing, and cleaning the cylinder.

Just a guess here, but I suppose it could be possible that the shorter 38's left enough residue in the cylinder that the longer, and apparently over charged 357 casing, expanded enough when fired to get itself stuck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts