Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Held a 9mm American today; sales person was busy so I didn't linger very long but here are my initial thoughts:
Looks; Very appealing.
Weight; a little heavier feeling than my SR9 but I don't see a problem.
Slide action; felt good and the release was comfortable.
Grip; not too bad for the first time but I would like to try one with the smallest backstrap. The medium seemed just a tad large for my hand.

Conclusion: Definitely a gun I will consider in the future but I want to give some time for it to be in production and to see what other models will be offered.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I got to hold and inspect one about a week ago. Did you get to dry fire it? I was impressed with how nice the trigger pull felt and it's short reset. If I was in the market for a 9mm striker fired pistol I'd definitely have it on my list.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Held one today myself, grip felt great so did the slide. Good sights everything aok would love to have one exept one item and thats the price, Academy had it at 499$ two guns over from the Turkish made Canik with outstanding reviews that for 300-350 $ comes in case w/cleaning kit hard holster ,belt atachment and the kitchen sink. Even with out the Canik that 9mm market is to the roof with really great combat / duty proven pistols at said price point 499$ puts you in Glock, Smith Wesson and Sig territory. Nothing against the Ruger pistol Im sure its a fine piece its just that at that price I cant see it selling off the wall considering other gun brands. After the new gun love fest however if or when Ruger drops the price on the RA Pistol to dare I say 400$ (considering their stainless SR9-45 were going for 449$) then I can see it selling at a steady pace. Jmo

·
Registered
4 Posts
I held one today at a local gun show. I like it alot. I have a 9mm version on layaway. It appeared to be smaller in person.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RAP 9mm

I just started shooting again after many many years. I am really just a plinker who loves revolvers. however, yesterday, for many reasons, including impulsiveness, I bought the RAP 9mm. Have not shot it yet but will very soon. I too have small hands so I will try the Med and small back straps that come with gun. I will report back in soon after I take it to the range. I may be to green to offer any kind of worth while opinion thought. it feels great, i feel like I am in control. which of course is good, but sound lame to you guys. anyway, that feeling is confidence inspiring. at least for me.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Hank - We look forward to your assessment. It sounds like a very interesting pistol.And welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well, I have seen them in the local GM, and they look good. Does Ruger make a compact version yet? They only seemed to have full sized guns in there, and it seems to be a fairly large gun.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does this mean the end of the sr series? I don't see the need for another line of almost identical pistols.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am waiting for More to become available and I have been able to find RAP for $340.
I think I will like it more than the LC9s pro and I think the world of it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have not seen any information on a compact version. I suspect the 4.2" barrel is to placate the Canadian regulations. I have read where Ruger will be coming out with a 40 S&W version to go with the 9mm and 45 ACP versions. Some states won't allow sales because of the magazine capacity.

·
Registered
36 Posts
grabbed mine for $439+tax. I couldn't be happier. I've shot my buddies Glocks several times, last weekend got to shoot them both side by side, I was ok with his Glocks in the past but after firing the RAP, Ill take my RAP any day.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My LGS actually had a 9mm RAP on the shelf. I spent quite a bit of time fondling it. I am quite impressed.

-The slide to frame fit is much tighter than on my Glock 19

-The trigger was pretty darn good for a striker-fired gun. I dry fired it quite a few times. and I think the reset is good too, I had no problem "feeling" it reset.

-It is definitely a heavy duty build. But it didn't feel awkward, heavy, or clunky in my hands.

Overall I am very impressed and pleased with Ruger's newest entry into the striker-fired duty handgun arena. I am not going to buy one just yet, though. I am hoping we see the 40 S&W version soon. And that is what I am going to hold out for. And I sure hope the 40 version will utilize the same frame as the 9mm, because my smallish hands actually need the small grip insert.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts