Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all from a really old lady who has several really new guns (due to arthritis), one of which is the Ruger Mark IV Lite.

Had to give up shooting my favorite double stack 9mm Glocks and go down to .380 and .22 so I could keep shooting at all. Severe arthritis and collapse of the wrist bones in my right hand also made me change from shooting right handed/right eye dominant to shooting left handed. Can't change the eye dominance, but not having a problem with accuracy.

This has been a two year process, during which time I bought the Ruger Mark IV Lite in copper color. It would be a fantastic range gun IF we could get it to work! Hubby and I are in the process of reading all the many threads here about the feeding, jamming, stove-piping problems of this lovely gun. He has a lot of work to do in the near future if we are to keep the thing!

Am going to look at another Ruger but strongly suspect I do not have enough strength in my hands/fingers to pull a DA trigger. Time will tell.

I belong to a couple other gun forums but none that are brand specific. I joined this one because of all the problems with the newish Mark IV Lite, which has been back to Ruger for the safety fix and again for several parts to be replaced. Now, with help from you fine people here, either hubby can get it working or it will be traded for "something."

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Another big welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Welcome SG. I am new this week here too but found a lot of places where I "fit in". Hope you do too.

I have an itch about your last sentence..."either hubby can get it working". Is "hubby" singular or plural? jk...jk! Interesting how words work out that way sometimes.

My spousal unit uses Futuro hand and wrist protectors with integral metal bar for support and to keep her slender church Music Director piano playing hands from curling into a fist every night, which is an unfortunate downside of being in love with playing and teaching the piano I suppose, or perhaps billions of therbligs later, that is the evitable result. Perhaps wrist support would help?

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,868 Posts
Welcome and greetings from Ohio. There is data on this forum regarding the Lite Mark IV and ammo with feeding issues. Someone may be able to assist here. Enjoy and be safe.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from The Republic of Texas...

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome from Missouri! :)

I'm sure someone here can help out with you issues.

·
Exalted One
1,717 Posts
Welcome from Central Virginia! As others have posted, check out the threads for your Mk-IV.

My wife - also a granny with moderate-severe arthritis (both RA and OA) selected the Ruger SR22, with which she is very happy. Should you consider getting another pistol, it is worth checking out. DA isn't bad, but it is easier if you cock the hammer manually first (which means pulling the trigger is not also cocking the hammer). That also goes for racking the slide: cock the hammer first.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Exchequer
4,602 Posts
Welcome aboard, Granny.

Just curious if you all have the feeding / jamming issues with multiple brands of ammo?

I and others here seem to have really good performance from CCI Stingers and Mini Mags 22 lr.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome SG. I am new this week here too but found a lot of places where I "fit in". Hope you do too.

I have an itch about your last sentence..."either hubby can get it working". Is "hubby" singular or plural? jk...jk! Interesting how words work out that way sometimes.

My spousal unit uses Futuro hand and wrist protectors with integral metal bar for support and to keep her slender church Music Director piano playing hands from curling into a fist every night, which is an unfortunate downside of being in love with playing and teaching the piano I suppose, or perhaps billions of therbligs later, that is the evitable result. Perhaps wrist support would help?
;) That was an "either hubby can or can't". This wife can't deal with more than one old guy at a time! But I wouldn't trade the one I have for anything, that's for sure.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome aboard, Granny.

Just curious if you all have the feeding / jamming issues with multiple brands of ammo?

I and others here seem to have really good performance from CCI Stingers and Mini Mags 22 lr.
I only use 2 brands:

Aguila super - which I have read it a total disaster in the Mark IV's. NOW, after trying to use it several times, I read that.

CCI Mini Mags - which I have plenty of to use with the Mark IV for some time if we get it fixed and if I don't go totally nuts, shooting several hundred rounds at a time. LOL

I also have S&B .22lr but it is "greasy" on the outside and totally will not feed in the Mark or in my M&P .22 compact either. Fortunately hubby has a 22 rifle and it feeds just fine in that one. I was totally bummed because I have always used S&B as my most preferred range ammo in other calibers, but that .22 was a real bust.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all

Thank you all for the warm welcomes, and the bit of teasing. Makes me feel right at home already!

I sent Gramps an email with all the links I found last night for the fixes and hopefully he can get out his tools and stuff and start on a couple of the 5 magazines to see if that fixes things, using the CCI mini mags.

I really want to have this Mark IV gun work because it is so neat looking, and I had hopes that I might use it to get back to shooting the modified PPC that our pistol group shoots once a month. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.