Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I been around rifles, but I never bought a pistol before. I thought I was destined to eventually have a S&W at very early age following my experiences with old S&Ws. I went on a very long break from pistol shooting and then decided I wanted a pistol chambered in 357 that was fun to shoot (my friends have 1911, 92FS, XD9, G17, P226s).

So I went to the LGS and tried a S&W 686 (lock model) and was confused that it wasn't the same as I remembered. They still have a very nice SA trigger break, but no where near as nice as the older ones. The GP100 at half the retail price had a better DA trigger and maybe 85% there on the SA. Fit & finish on the Ruger is a joke compared to the S&W. I decided to go with a project gun as well since i am more comfortable with tinkering these days and I don't need a safe queen. The first thing i did was deburr and polish all the critical parts and it was gritty everywhere. I dropped in a wolff 9# trigger return spring and trigger/hammer/dog shims. Left the hammer spring at 14# because I'm using SRM primers.

I got the trigger perfect. I just need to refine the SA extra travel/creep before it breaks.

I can't wait to see how accurate it is after i got my pistol reloading down (im good with precision rifle reloading). The initial grouping i did was positive given i was shooting a whole bunch of different loads to get a feel for what it likes and establish limits. Seems to like a heavy .38 load or light +P. Light 357 loads were very accurate as well.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
A big welcome to the Forum from Georgia!

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.