Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new GP100 with a 6 inch barrel, talk about a straight shooting gun. I love it.

Left the gun store and went straight to the range to test out my new baby. And that's where the good part of the story ends.

After only about 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 38 sp 125 grain FMJ the gun jammed, that's right I said jammed. The barrel got so hot I could barely touch it, no big deal. But then the hammer would not pull back, the cylinder wouldn't turn, and the trigger would not pull.

I released the cylinder and ejected the rounds, let the gun cool off, reloaded and began to fire again. After about 12 more rounds the gun completely locked up again.

Furious, I packed up everything and went right back to the gun store and told them what happened. This particular store has a no return policy and the clerk told me all they can do is return the gun to Ruger as they have a lifetime warranty. So I actually had my GP100 for an hour and a half and it's back to the manufacturer for repair.

Does anyone know what can cause this type of failure with the GP100?

Thanks in advance.
Walt

·
Registered
17,261 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Wisconsin

·
Exalted One
1,814 Posts
I suspect someone will be along directly. Can't help you out on that but others can.

But, Welcome to the forum from Central VA.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Welcome to the forum from southern Arizona, and congrats on your new GP100!

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...Did you clean and lube the gun before taking it to the range??? The biggest mistake most New gun owners do not do.The New gun comes from the factory with a grease. That factory grease needs to be cleaned out and relubed with a gun oil to function properly.This is usually mentioned in the instruction manual.Most New gun owners do not read the manual,mistake number 1.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Welcome from NW Georgia. Clean the gun thoroughly and see if it still happens. If there is still a problem, call Ruger and they'll take care of you. Great CS!

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
A big welcome to the forum from Georgia!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.