Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my new GP100 with a 6 inch barrel, talk about a straight shooting gun. I love it.

Left the gun store and went straight to the range to test out my new baby. And that's where the good part of the story ends.

After only about 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 38 sp 125 grain FMJ the gun jammed, that's right I said jammed. The barrel got so hot I could barely touch it, no big deal. But then the hammer would not pull back, the cylinder wouldn't turn, and the trigger would not pull.

I released the cylinder and ejected the rounds, let the gun cool off, reloaded and began to fire again. After about 12 more rounds the gun completely locked up again.

Furious, I packed up everything and went right back to the gun store and told them what happened. This particular store has a no return policy and the clerk told me all they can do is return the gun to Ruger as they have a lifetime warranty. So I actually had my GP100 for an hour and a half and it's back to the manufacturer for repair.

Does anyone know what can cause this type of failure with the GP100?

Thanks in advance.
Walt

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It could be the B/C gap is too tight. Or possibly something got under the ejector star.

Ruger will make it right.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Just picked up my new GP100 with a 6 inch barrel, talk about a straight shooting gun. I love it.

Left the gun store and went straight to the range to test out my new baby. And that's where the good part of the story ends.

After only about 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 38 sp 125 grain FMJ the gun jammed, that's right I said jammed. The barrel got so hot I could barely touch it, no big deal. But then the hammer would not pull back, the cylinder wouldn't turn, and the trigger would not pull.

I released the cylinder and ejected the rounds, let the gun cool off, reloaded and began to fire again. After about 12 more rounds the gun completely locked up again.

Furious, I packed up everything and went right back to the gun store and told them what happened. This particular store has a no return policy and the clerk told me all they can do is return the gun to Ruger as they have a lifetime warranty. So I actually had my GP100 for an hour and a half and it's back to the manufacturer for repair.

Does anyone know what can cause this type of failure with the GP100?

Thanks in advance.
Walt
Again,Did you Clean and Lube the gun before going to the range? It is obvious by your statement that you did not.All New guns come from the factory with grease in the mechanism to prevent rust and condensation build up. This is usually a New Gun owners first mistake.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I would say the B/C gap is just a little to close. probably got some carbon build up on the cylinder and caused the jamming. Once cooled a little the gap opened back up. probably needs cleaned but a trip back to Ruger would be best. But it would be quicker if you called Ruger and got a return Label. You will probably have it back in less than 2 weeks. It will be a lot longer than that if you let the LGS send it back.
Good Luck. The GP is an amazing revolver, I have two 6" and both are great as yours will be when you get it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts