Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Ruger AR556 MPR 18"
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I am a 31-year old Swedish Army NCO with a love for IPSC, shooting, and firearms in general. Yes, you can own an AR-15 in Sweden, strictly for sport shooting.

I am a pretty recent Ruger owner, bought a beautiful Ruger AR556 MPR with an 18" barrel. I had no idea Ruger had such magnificient rifles, and I hope to gather some wisdom from you guys.

All the best.

·
Registered
17,631 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hey!

I am a 31-year old Swedish Army NCO with a love for IPSC, shooting, and firearms in general. Yes, you can own an AR-15 in Sweden, strictly for sport shooting.

I am a pretty recent Ruger owner, bought a beautiful Ruger AR556 MPR with an 18" barrel. I had no idea Ruger had such magnificient rifles, and I hope to gather some wisdom from you guys.

All the best.
Hello my ethnic brethren ;). I grew up in the US but my family is majority Swedish, with some Norwegian and German thrown in. I've been twice to Sweden: Gothenburg, Malmo, and Stockholm.

What are the gun laws like there?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Hey!

All the best.
Are you permitted to keep it at home? Most of us are hunters or sport shooters with arms kept at home.

·
Registered
Ruger AR556 MPR 18"
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcomes!

To answer some of your gun-related questions:

1. Yes, you can keep firearms at home in Sweden, but you need to keep them at all times in an approved gun safe. The safe needs to exceed the weight of 150kg or otherwise be bolted into the wall or floor.

2. You can own firearms for hunting and target shooting. You need a separate license for each gun. Self defense firearm licenses are exceedingly rare. You can own fully automatic weapons, but all licenses have to be approved by the police and these are quite hard to both find and receive a license for.

3. You can own a .50 BMG M82 rifle if you want one, as long as the police approves your reason for owning one (sport, usually).

4. AR-15s are common amongst IPSC-shooters.

5. You can own Russian weapons as well, I know several that have Dragunovs and Russian Izhmash AKs.

6. You might as well use your chainsaw at home for self defense over using your legal firearms. It is probably better from a judicial standpoint. Swedish self defense regulations are pretty crazy and essentially state "if you get punched, you can punch once back, but not if the assailant has gotten out of range and not a threat anymore". So good luck using your Glock on a drugged-up lowlife with a hatchet in your living room. As far as the law is concerned, it is excessive force to shwack him with a couple of Speer Gold Dots in spite of a hatchet that could be just as dangerous.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks for the welcomes!

To answer some of your gun-related questions:

1. Yes, you can keep firearms at home in Sweden, but you need to keep them at all times in an approved gun safe. The safe needs to exceed the weight of 150kg or otherwise be bolted into the wall or floor.

2. You can own firearms for hunting and target shooting. You need a separate license for each gun. Self defense firearm licenses are exceedingly rare. You can own fully automatic weapons, but all licenses have to be approved by the police and these are quite hard to both find and receive a license for.

3. You can own a .50 BMG M82 rifle if you want one, as long as the police approves your reason for owning one (sport, usually).

4. AR-15s are common amongst IPSC-shooters.

5. You can own Russian weapons as well, I know several that have Dragunovs and Russian Izhmash AKs.

6. You might as well use your chainsaw at home for self defense over using your legal firearms. It is probably better from a judicial standpoint. Swedish self defense regulations are pretty crazy and essentially state "if you get punched, you can punch once back, but not if the assailant has gotten out of range and not a threat anymore". So good luck using your Glock on a drugged-up lowlife with a hatchet in your living room. As far as the law is concerned, it is excessive force to shwack him with a couple of Speer Gold Dots in spite of a hatchet that could be just as dangerous.
Is there any allowance for defense in the face of lethal attack? Like what if someone is shooting at you in your own home?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Greetings and salutations.
Välkommen, glad att se dig

Reactions: SwedishInfantryman
1 - 20 of 31 Posts