Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just found the forum while I was looking for some info for a son-in-law. He is expanding his business to Alaska. He is also a marathoner and is concerned about bears. He visited a gun shop there this week and they suggested an Alaskan in 44mag. He is needing a way to carry it while running and I thought maybe some one here would have some advice.

Thanks, wdb

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Nice to have you aboard.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Welcome from Texas!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Hi, just found the forum while I was looking for some info for a son-in-law. He is expanding his business to Alaska. He is also a marathoner and is concerned about bears. He visited a gun shop there this week and they suggested an Alaskan in 44mag. He is needing a way to carry it while running and I thought maybe some one here would have some advice.

Thanks, wdb
Welcome from Alaska. I for one would not recommend an Alaskan. The barrel is too short, and follow ups are too difficult. For a runner, I would recommend (gasp) bear spray. It is lighter, and if you are out of breath, you don't have to worry as much about aim.

Also, in AK, if you shoot a bear in defense of life or property, you must skin it, and return the hide, skull, and paws to ADF and G. I'm going to assume that a runner is not going to have a caping knife and frame pack on hand to deal with the bear once it's dead.

·
Registered
17,100 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Missouri. I'd say his workouts would be better near civilization.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,887 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum from upstate NY.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alaska wildlife defense weapon

There are some email pics (evidence), sent from my brother of a friend of his in Alaska on that subject from a year or so ago. Confrontation with a grizz on a hiking/jogging trail. A .44 Mag is nice, but for more sure protection get a Casull .454. That's the sidearm to carry in the Alaskan wilderness. The grizz lost that battle. I have no details as to the determination of the skin and such. But the hiker/jogger survived. That's important, the important, right?

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks, wdb
While the Casull .454 is not a light weapon, it is effective. And it can be carried as "training" weight in the backpack/harness. An Alaskan .44 is not the survival tool when facing grizz. As the guy said, the barrel is to short, terminal impact too little. Advise him to get a Casull .454, and bear spray. Hell, I'll try anything and hope for the mostest with the leastest.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.