Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my 10/22 yesterday, I'll post a pic later... or just follow that link to ruger.

It's the charcoal synthetic carbine one with the rail system. Model 31145

I chose the synthetic one because I wanted a lightweight gun for hiking indawoods and toughness for weather conditions, plus my tiny wife could handle it if ever needed too. I felt that the material would retain it's structure for much longer than wood. But what do I know I'm new here.

I'm so new to this gun that based on weight and the rail system and is excellent reputation, made the purchase for $30 cheaper than the wood one: $229

It has the Weaver rail too in the box. Pickadilly was pre-mounted at the store

The barrel has no front sight or rear sights.. so I am open to suggestions on a gun sight system.

I would like to mount iron sights or any open optics to this... Any advise?
Reason: I would like to able to see everything around the target for both short and long range... And not be locked into only distance shooting.

Sling for the gun:
It has two spots on the composite for a sling. it didn't come with a barrel ring. I assume those two holes are durable for the job?
Was going to purchase a bx-25 magazine but after the mixed results I'll stick with the stock magazine and pick up two more.

Happy to be here. Greetings from South Carolina.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Welcome to the forum from central Ohio. A lot of good info and a lot of experienced gun users here.
Rifle looks nice hopefully it will work ok for you and your wife. Synthetic stocks are nice they are unaffected by moisture and once you get your gun sighted in won't have to worry about the stock absorbing moisture and changing the point of aim.
The sling mounting holes will work ok you just need to get a pair of sling mounting swivels for a sling. They can be had at Walmart or any gun shop should have them in stock. If not sure how to mount the sling Youtube is your friend.

As far as a scope unless I was going to mod the rifle later or try to shoot small targets at long distances I wouldn't dump a lot of money in one. A stock 10-22 will only get you decent groups from 50 to 75 yards. Any 3 X 9 scope would get you their. I would get one parallax adjustable ideally down to 25 yards or less they will work better for a 22 rifle. Vortex, Bushnell, Nikon and Leopold make decent scopes but some cost more than the rifle.
The rail mount is called a Picatinny rail.
You could put a red dot on it but for me a red dot on a rifle only gets me decent groups out to about 25 yards. Other people have better results. A red dot will get you quick target acquisition but not the most precise as the distance gets further.
Hope this gives a little more info to ponder over. Good luck with your 10-22

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I just ran out To my garage remembered that I have a old Tasco W39x40 scope. I don't have mounts for it, but that should be a easy fix, I hope.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome.
I just ran out To my garage remembered that I have a old Tasco W39x40 scope. I don't have mounts for it, but that should be a easy fix, I hope.
Your scope should have a 1" diameter tube might want to measure it to be sure before you buy rings. The two common scope diameter tubes are 1" and 30mm an older Tasco should be 1"" Some older ones I think are 7/8" so measure to be sure.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hey from MinNDakota.
You may be short on options for mounting open sights on this model. It doesn't look like there is a mounting point on the front of the barrel for a sight. You could get a dovetail cut. There probably is something out there that would work...seems like there are 10/22 accessories to add just about everything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome to the OP. Most scope makers offer scopes for .22s which are smaller, lighter and more in scale for a .22 rifle. They are also designed for parallax-free use at uner 100 yards. Most have 3/4” tubes. Shotgun scopes are also appropriate due to their short range suitability, most use 1” tubes.

If the OP wants open sights he can get front and rear sights which are designed to be mounted on a rail. Naturally the sight radius will be short, but many handgun shooters somehow seem to be able to get by. I’m not recommending the specific sights below as I have zero experience with them, but they are an example of what’s available.

·
Registered
17,238 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Reactions: Deadfish

·
One Star
10,381 Posts
Congrats on your 10/22,and welcome from KY.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Welcome from Colorado. You will enjoy that rifle. If I can offer a little advice.... Shoot it awhile before you start buying accessories for it. You may find you like it just as it comes from the factory. Sling swivel attach points should be fine. Good shootin’!

·
Army CW3
1,214 Posts
Welcome to rugerforum.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest! HOOAAAHHHH!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.