Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Ruger DA. A 4" SS GP100 and this thing is a tack driver. I can't get over how accurate it is. My question is has anyone tried or succeeded in recontouring the trigger themselves? If so, what did you use...files, dremel? This thing is eating my finger. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Welcome! If you stick around here long enough and post 100 times, you can have access to this forum's library. This has Iowegan's IBOK series of gun tuning. The GP100 is one and there's a Mark series as well. Worth the participation, I promise! These writings will detail all there is to know about trigger and hammer tuning and polishing.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
obie501, Field strip the revolver and remove the trigger. Use 400 grit sandpaper to reshape the trigger's side contour so it doesn't eat your finger.

Welcome to the Ruger forum. I hope you enjoy your stay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, for the welcome and the info. I don't see myself getting rid of my GP so I think I'll stick around and try to hit 100. Then I can start tinkering. Take care and thanks again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
obie501, Welcome to the forum. When contouring a trigger, I personally like to use the Dremel tool with first a "rough" 1/2" sanding roll, followed with a "fine" 1/2 sanding roll and then polish with red rouge and a 1/2" felt bob. Does a quick job and is not labor intensive........................Dick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't know if I trust myself with a dremel but since you can buy the trigger fairly cheap, I may have to try it. Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
obie501, I would suggest you "practice" on a scrap piece of metal "first" to get a feel of the Dremel tool as it tends to "walk" because of the rotation. Just a few minutes of getting used to it will do wonders. I want to add that I also utilize "medium" sanding rolls, fine rotary stones and cratex rods in recontouring triggers and other parts depending on the hardness of the part and "how much" metal I wan't to take off.........................Dick

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I had the same problem and just worked the sides and bottom edges with emory cloth. I even went as far as placing a small piece between my finger and the trigger and using that as a cushion while I dried fired it a couple hundred times to help smooth out the action. As I pulled the trigger it would lightly rub on the trigger and cut the sharpness off. Now it fits my finger great and no more sharp edges.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. You might want to stop by the new members forum and introduce yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts