Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm trying to help someone over on glocktalk. He's not able to register here because he only has a hotmail account. He recently sent his P97 in to fix jamming and fail to fire issues. He got it back and now he's having trouble disassembling it. He currently has two threads open. I'll post the links in order. I think he has to qualify with it on Saturday, so if any of you are registered on glocktalk.com, I'm sure he would appreciate your help.
http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=fb93a8c22f02789d7909d82d21235567&threadid=653592

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=fb93a8c22f02789d7909d82d21235567&threadid=653827

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I've read his post. He tried to register on rugerforum.COM, not here at rugerforum.net, as we don't reject hotmail accounts...

It sounds like Ruger goofed... and he needs to contact Ruger. If they replaced the slide, there are many factors that may be causing his trouble.

The recoil spring should be #V02819...

It also could be the Guide Rod may be turned, and is preventing the camblock from seating correctly.

It could also be the Blocking Lever hanging...

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
842 Posts
I think the gentleman Coffee Pot answered this over at RF.com. Most likely his ejector has popped back up or been pushed up by inserting a mag. He can take some kind of hook or bent wire and reach up in the magazine well and pull it back down then it should come apart. I think I have his answer right. Good thing for other P series owners to remember.
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
As hard as tech4061 worked trying to help the guy-here and elsewhere-I'd kinda like to know if he got it fixed and qualified today-and I applaud tech4061's trying to help a fellow gunnie he doesn't even know-that's what it's all about[^]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote: I've read his post. He tried to register on rugerforum.COM, not here at rugerforum.net, as we don't reject hotmail accounts...
That was my fault. I should have included a link to both ruger sites. I passed along your reply. He hasn't posted anything else yet so Idon't know if he was actually able to qualify today. Anyway, thanks for all of your help.

quote: I applaud tech4061's trying to help a fellow gunnie he doesn't even know-that's what it's all about
Thanks, I didn't think he would get much sympathy from the glock crowd. Besides I would hate to see someone get rid of a perfectly good P97 for what might eventually turn out to be an easy problem to fix.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
There ya go!!! I miss the two I had-love my P90 but I hear it grumblin'-might hafeta find a KP97DC to keep it company...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't got the Ruger fixed yet. In a little bit i'm going to try the wire and follower trick. This difficulty is blowing me away because it just came back from Ruger for "repair".

I was able to go ahead and qualify with my Glock, which I originally intended. There seemed to be a .40S&W stocker upper around here so everyone (except for maybe the shop I won't set foot in) was out of it. So, therefore, I was just gonna use the Ruger. I ended up being able to get some at the test site which was 45 mins away. Whewwww. I've waited 5 years for this day, I wasn't giving up.

...I passed by the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, it appears that the ejector is hitting the front of the "magazine chamber" and not coming down all the way.

ps. insert "ejector" for the word "follower" in previous post

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm glad to hear you were able to qualify. If I understand you correctly, you're saying when you flip the ejector forward, It makes contact with the front of the magazine well. I checked mine. When I flip the ejector froward, there's about 1/4 inch of space between the ejector and the front of the magazine well and does not make contact. I'm not sure what's going on there.
BTW, welcome to to ruger forum.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Welcome, glad to have you here-and it sounds as if the ejector has been bent a bit-probably should replace it-the bumping is probably because the slide squashed it---now that you're on the Forum-ask Iowegan-he's our gunsmith (ret.)...glad you qualified!!

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Welcome to Rugerforum.net. Sorry you are having problems with your P97. I have two and they are good guns. Tech4061 was right about the ejector not touching the Mag. well. Iowegan might have a idea as to what caused he problem, but sounds to me like you need a new ejector. Thanks for joining us here and I hope you enjoy it here make this one of your homes. :)

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
UrbanOps, as I was going to Church this morning, I remembered when I first got my first P97. I couldn't get the slide off and I took it back to the Pawn Shop where I bought it and the owner, who is a pretty good gunsmith, showed me that when the pin comes out the trigger assembly can move and lock the slide. He realigned the trigger assembly hole and put the pin back in and then pulled the slide back where he could push the ejector down. I've had this happen a couple of times since. Push the slide all the way down and realign the trigger hole and put the pin back in and then see if the slide will work, or that you can pull the ejector from the bottom with a wire. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

UrbanOps, as I was going to Church this morning, I remembered when I first got my first P97. I couldn't get the slide off and I took it back to the Pawn Shop where I bought it and the owner, who is a pretty good gunsmith, showed me that when the pin comes out the trigger assembly can move and lock the slide. He realigned the trigger assembly hole and put the pin back in and then pulled the slide back where he could push the ejector down. I've had this happen a couple of times since. Push the slide all the way down and realign the trigger hole and put the pin back in and then see if the slide will work, or that you can pull the ejector from the bottom with a wire. Hope this helps.
KP97DC, am I correct in assuming you mean the pin of the slide stop. If so that makes sense.
Baker

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
quote:Originally posted by btrumanj

quote:Originally posted by KP97DC

KP97DC, am I correct in assuming you mean the pin of the slide stop. If so that makes sense.
Baker
Yes, the pin that you take out when you field strip it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
KP97DC, seem to me like I had a problem early on with my gun and put the slide stop partly in and started over and it worked. Don't know if Urbanops has read this yet but he should try it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If i put the slide stop back in. it will action back, but it won't cock. The slide still won't come off ....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The ejector has to be in the up position in order for the hammer to stay cocked when you cycle the action. Are you able to see the ejector to determine if appears bent or damaged in any way? Here is a response I got on the other ruger board when I mentioned the possibility of having the wrong recoil spring.

quote:They are all supposed to have a spring with one end larger than the other. But, if you put it on backwards, you'll usually get malfunctions and it can make it difficult to take apart as the large end of the spring can become stuck in the frame.

------------------
Coffee Pot
I thought the spring on the P97 was the same size at both ends, but appearantly I was wrong.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
The springs in the P97 and P345 have one end larger. I use a large ball point pen and the larger end will go farther up on the tapered point of the pen. The larger end goes toward the muzzle of the gun.

·
Registered
842 Posts
urbansops, if the slide will go back and it won't cock, insert a magazine to push the ejector up, then take it out and it should cock. Then you can lock the slide back and push the ejector back down and then disasemble the gun. When you reasemble it be sure the larger end of the recoil spring is toward the front.
Baker

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if the spring is in backwards. I don't recall the other p97 spring having different ends.

Does Mr. Pot know how to get the darn thing apart if the spring is in backward? LOL

BTW, the ejector doesn't look bent. I can put a magazine in and it still won't cock. Why can't all guns be as simple to strip and reassemble as glocks!? LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts