Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big disappointment here with Ruger. First day at the range with a brand new 10/22, and it ceased to fire after approximately 75 rounds. Rifle cycles rounds with no problem, but when you pull the trigger, nothing. Tried function test where you pull charging handle while trigger is pulled, and then slowing releasing the trigger listening for the click - nothing heard. Nothing appeared to resolve the hammer releasing when the trigger was pulled. I dropped in a BX trigger group into the rifle, and the gun functions properly, so at least I know the problem is limited to the factory installed trigger group. I checked the safety and can clearly see the flat portion of the safety pin is facing in the up position, so I doubt it is a twisted safety pin issue. I compared the faulty trigger group with the new BX trigger group, and nothing appeared out of place, nor was anything rattling around. Currently trigger group is stuck in this position (pic), with hammer in aft position. No amount of playing around with hammer or trigger will release the hammer.

IMG_5382.jpg
Living in Canada doesn't make it very convenient to deal with Ruger and servicing, and shipping off a whole rifle when it is clearly the trigger group assembly that is faulty is not efficient, and waiting around for it to be returned would be madding.

Any suggestions?

I'm using the BX trigger now with great success, but would still like to get the original trigger group functioning properly. Would polishing of the hammer and sear help? Or should I just upgrade the original trigger components with a kit from Kidd, Tandemkross, or Volquartsen, accepting the fact that the Ruger factory trigger group is crap.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to just toss that stock trigger group in the trash can and move up to something like the Kidd.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your new 10-22 having problems right out of the box. I don't know what your comfort level would be as far as disassembling the original trigger group but if you are up to it I would take it apart and see if I could find out what the problem is. Sounds like it could be a disconnector problem there is a spring under it maybe it came out of position or could just be dirt in the internals. There are a lot of Youtube videos on disassembly and reassembly that could help you out. I would not trash a perfectly good trigger assembly. Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Seen enough videos to be comfortable to disassemble it. Since I already have a BX trigger, may turn the factory stock trigger group into a bit of an upgrade project. Just pissed that Ruger's quality control is weak enough that an issue like this wasn't picked up during factory testing before boxing it up and shipping out to the stores.

·
Paw Paw
95 Posts
I'm really curious. Take that rascal apart and let us know what you find. There actually very easy to work on. I have several that run just fine.

Dave

·
Registered
488 Posts
You already have a working BX why worry about the old one? If you're curious you can completely disassemble and clean and inspect it the problem will probably clear. Or you can contact Ruger and have them deal with it.

As suggested you can send it to Brimstone but I would give them a heads up first. They do great trigger work but they aren't in the business of performing repairs. Your trigger may have a defective part.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
It is sad when you get a brand new gun and it fails. Ruger is a stand up company. Contact them explain the problem and maybe just send the trigger group in for repair or replacement

·
Registered
196 Posts
I guess stuff happens. If the problem didn't show up until 75 rounds or so, I wouldn't be too hard on the QA folks for missing it.
This could be a great opportunity for you to become a 10/22 trigger wizard by taking it apart and learning everything about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As an update, I sent the trigger group to the Canadian Ruger Service centre for repair. They found a metal chip wedged between the trigger and sear. All is working well, and it was fixed for free. Well done Ruger, and your authorized Repair Station Snap Shots in Quebec.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Great end to this issue which shouldn't ever have happened.
As an update, I sent the trigger group to the Canadian Ruger Service centre for repair. They found a metal chip wedged between the trigger and sear. All is working well, and it was fixed for free. Well done Ruger, and your authorized Repair Station Snap Shots in Quebec.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts