Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is as far as I can get. The mainspring housing will not pull out of the gun. And now when I close it, the bolt will not pull back.

I went to youtube to see what I may have done wrong, and the only thing I did differently was I did NOT pull the trigger prior to opening the MSH.

Can anyone here tell me what I need to do to get the MSH out of the pistol.

Thanks.

·
Exchequer
4,435 Posts
Well, that stinks!

Read through this old thread. It may help.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
You can go to Ruger's Site and download the detailed dissasembly / reassembly instructions and by following every step ...exactly in the order stated ... get things right again .
I have a Standard , MKI Target and MKII and got the info on all three !
Between Rugers written instruction and a video or two I can now take them down and put them back ... but you have to do the dance just right , miss a step and it's a no go...
ask me how I know...been there and done the dance !
Gary

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is why I have gotten rid of all 4 I have owned. I love the pistol, hate the PMCS

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
you need to drop the hammer to disassemble. if you pull the trigger now, you should be able to tilt the muzzle down to drop the hammer by gravity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So last night, in frustration, I tossed the pistol onto my workbench and gave up trying. I went back today to try again and the MSH literally fell out of the pistol. Go figure.
Cleaned the living snot outta the internals and reassembled. Only took me four attempts to get the MSH back in properly.

My only concern now is, it seems to take significantly MORE effort to rack the bolt. It comes all the way back, and the trigger drops the hammer...but its definitely stiffer than it was. I figured it would be just the opposite now that I've cleaned and oiled it. Hope I havent mucked it up.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
So last night, in frustration, I tossed the pistol onto my workbench and gave up trying. I went back today to try again and the MSH literally fell out of the pistol. Go figure.
Cleaned the living snot outta the internals and reassembled. Only took me four attempts to get the MSH back in properly.

My only concern now is, it seems to take significantly MORE effort to rack the bolt. It comes all the way back, and the trigger drops the hammer...but its definitely stiffer than it was. I figured it would be just the opposite now that I've cleaned and oiled it. Hope I havent mucked it up.
Not up on the correct nomenclature or part name but the crescent shaped piece that sits in the slot on top of the bolt to locate the spring might be upside down.
I've picked up several old rugers that were dumped because of that mistake.
They don't seem to function well with the "ears" sticking up and dragging.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It is the worst gun to take apart.
You have to follow instructions or you'll feel like an idiot (I did). I was taking mine apart 2-3 times a year and every time I had to read instructions first.
Or buy a Glock...;);)

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
I had a 22/45 that I figured out the secret handshake on the first cleaning session. Even shared it with a friend and then after a couple of months forgot it. I later traded in in on something else I had to have.

Good luck OP hope it all works out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BTW, I bought Ruger P95 for 249 from gunbroker and brand new Taurus G3. I am pretty sure you can sell your Mark and buy a real gun.;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
What car5car said would be my guess. The other thing to check is that that crescent part at the end of the spring is screwed out to fully contact the end it fits into. That is, if it's not a half turn off like car5car said but a full turn.
Seems that once you get the thing back together it either all fits and works or something obviously sticks out where it shouldn't

1 - 11 of 11 Posts