Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to the forum and need a little help spending money I probably don't have. I am looking for a kit gun to carry while I bird hunt (primarily predators out to 150) and have decided that the .327 Federal is the best cartridge for my needs. I've narrowed it to two guns:
The Single Seven with Bisley frame or
GP100 blued with the 5" half lug barrel.

Both are Lipsey's specials. Other than price, what are the pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
89 Posts
One is a double action and one is a single action.
Quicker reloads with a double action.
I have read that Ruger SA usually have a better feel in the mechanics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've shot the Single Six and GP100 and the fit is six of one, half dozen of another to me. I am more wondering if there are reliability or accuracy issues between the two? Or if one is better for aftermarket customization? I have a feeling that this one will become my money pit over the next few years.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
First off welcome to the forum. I think your choice of the .327 fed mag is a good one. I get good accuracy out to 100 yds out of my Blackhawk with 5 1/2 barrel. I also have the Single Seven in plowhandle and Birdshead grip and the 3 in. SP 101. Love this round and the capability to shoot 5 different .32s in these guns is great.

If you don’t reload you may have problems finding ammo. The .327 and the .32 H&R are sometimes very hard to find.

Good luck to you. It’s a personal preference thing as far as single action vs. double action. If you can put both of your choices in your hands it will help tremendously.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I have a 5” GP100 in 357 and a New Blackhawk 5.5” Bisley in 45 Colt/45ACP. Below are my opinions of the pros for both. I don’t think you could go wrong with either. It would depend on the specifics you are looking for. I would definitely try to hold each at least prior to purchase – this helped me determine that I really liked the balance of the 5-5.5” barrels (your experience may vary).

GP100 Pros
Faster to load/unload
Double and single action trigger

Blackhawk Pros
Easier to clean because you can easily remove cylinder
Bisley hammer easier to reach with thumb

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,801 Posts
I like both guns, though I own all .357/.38 because I reload for them. That said, I'm in the market for a Ruger Single Action in stainless (my favored finish for woods work). I already have a GP100, and it lives up to its "tank" reputation....but the Bisley Single Seven is also just flat-out cool.

You won't go wrong with either gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like both, but prefer a DA handgun. Mostly because I enjoy shooting DA. The lock time is a little faster on the SA of a DA revolver.

I have both, and enjoy shooting both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those of you with side by side experience with DA and SA Bisley frames, hows the difference in felt recoil? I see myself shooting a lot of got loads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A single action will generally “roll” upward in recoil, whereas the DA’s recoil pushes back and up. A DA without the proper grips can be painful with hot loads.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello! I am new to the forum and need a little help spending money I probably don't have. I am looking for a kit gun to carry while I bird hunt (primarily predators out to 150) and have decided that the .327 Federal is the best cartridge for my needs. I've narrowed it to two guns:

Both are Lipsey's specials. Other than price, what are the pros and cons of each?

It really depends on where your passion lies. SA handguns are a lot of fun. I generally lean more toward the DA revolvers. I cut my handgun teeth on a Security Six. I broke two TRS dry firing it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
OP what kind of predators do you expect out to 150 yds? Do you reload? If you don't already this is another expense due to all the items you will need just starting. I am a GP100 fan and like the DA/SA options. I am not a fan of expensive and hard to find ammo. Where is my next "fix" coming from?? Of ammo that is. Plus, if anything happens with gun laws or political scares, the ammo just disappears from the shelves. I do not like to be in that position. Give me a 9mm, 357, or 45.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Well ... in my opinion ... Single Seven. The only down side is it isn't a 'six' shooter. In my way of thinking, if you are into speed shooting (one of those guys that have to shoot two cylinder full loads into a target in 2.99 seconds) then the Single Seven isn't for you. If you plan on using it as a concealed carry gun, again probably not for you. If you like DA shooting ( I don't) , then again not for you. But if you are looking for a good solid revolver with traditional look and feel this gun is for you. If you dream of days back in latter 1800s then this gun is for you. Or the o' silver screen cowboys, lawman, bad guys, etc... this gun is for you (although you will not be able to duplicate the 12, 20, etc. revolvers some of them seemed to have). If you don't mind load/unloading one cartridge at a time this gun is for you. If you enjoy leisure like shooting this gun is for you. The Single Seven, because of it's slower lock time, is a bit more challenging to get good groups. Just some random thoughts...

It really boils down to a preference thing. Just like I rarely dry fire any gun, and others break 'em while dry firing excessively ;) .

As above, unless you reload, you might be better served with a different cartridge. Definitely be looking for a longer barrel for the long range shooting it sounds like you plan to do.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
As SafetyFirst said, I second the recommendation to hold each gun in your hand to get a feel what your preference is. Then, if you could rent these at a range that would be great before you buy.

Example. A best buddy of mine had a 35 cal. saddle rifle. He brings it out to shoot and offers it to me. Well, to each his own. I do not know what type of ammo he had loaded.
That darn gun kicked me like a mule. It made my 12 ga. feel like a BB gun. I handed it back to him and never want to see it again. That is the only gun I have had such an experience with. Just hated it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Simple choice:

GP-100 for practicality, ease of loading/unloading, choice of double action or single action firing.

Single 7 for nostalgia.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a baby Vaquero in 32 H&R, I love the gun, not interested in any 327 unless shooting reloads. IMO long term use of rifle pressure 48K is going to beat apart any handgun.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Neither one of these revolvers truly fit the "kit gun" category. A kit gun is a somewhat light, shorter barreled (3-4") revolver. The two models you are considering are certainly great revolvers either way, but 35+ ounces on your hip is a lot of weight while bird hunting, trout fishing, etc.
The S&W Kit Gun is a J Frame revolver.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Easy choice I would do the GP100 Half Lug!!! But when you say kit gun there's two other choices a Ruger SP101 4.2 barrel & a Ruger SP101 3 inch both in .327FM The best way to really bring out the real beauty of the .327FM is to reload, good luck!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts