Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just bought a Ruger 10/22 takedown and i have no clue how to clean it. Anyone have a 10/22 takedown who can help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a cleaning kit just a starter it's my first gun. I shot about 500 rounds and i have been searching for any help on the take down for cleaning but i came up with nothing then found this amazing website. Any help would be appreciated :p

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Well, hopefully your kit has patches, a rod or boresnake, solvent and lube.

Everyone has different ways to clean their guns, but basically you want to run patches through the bore from breech to muzzle. Alternate with wet and dry until they come out clean. The TD makes this really easy. Just take it apart to do the barrel.

You can also take the receiver out of the stock, remove the trigger assembly and clean and lube the receiver, bolt and chamber.

Putting the bolt and spring back in is a little tricky, but there are instruction in the manual and a number of good videos on youtube

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do believe i have all that good stuff but any tips would help i have no idea what most of that stuff is but im sure its easy to figure out i was reading articles about all the diffrent kinds of ruger models and how to clean them. Nothing about the takedown but if its mostly the same thing then i hope its easy enough for a noob to figure out. If you have any other tips to make things easy i would love that information. I have never done this kind of thing before i just want to have a clean gun and be able to put everything back together again lol.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Some tips: be careful with the crown of your barrel. Damaging it with a rod can make it less accurate. Qtips can come in handy. I like Ballistol for both cleaning and lube. There are many many products out there that all work. Hoppes 9 is traditional and works just fine.

I like Hickok45 and Armory Channel on youtube for cleaning ingredients vids.

Ruger has some excellent 10/22 videos, too.

Hope you are enjoying the TD.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
there are some good vids on youtube if you search 10/22 cleaning. also, the ruger company website has a pretty decent set of tech vids that tell how to take the gun down, clean, and reassemble. that's where i watched, learned and figured it out-- i could pause it anytime and go back if i needed to understand something better. as i watched those, i found the hardest part to be getting the spring and bolt back into the receiver assembly. it really is a simple set of steps, but watch the ruger tech tip, and do exactly what they say. good luck and have fun!

oh, and if you wind up with any spare parts, watch the vid again. ;-) seriously, i probably watched it in whole and in parts a dozen times the first time around with my 10/22.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I do believe i have all that good stuff but any tips would help i have no idea what most of that stuff is but im sure its easy to figure out i was reading articles about all the diffrent kinds of ruger models and how to clean them. Nothing about the takedown but if its mostly the same thing then i hope its easy enough for a noob to figure out. If you have any other tips to make things easy i would love that information. I have never done this kind of thing before i just want to have a clean gun and be able to put everything back together again lol.
Best advice: read the manual and watch some videos first. :)

One other thing. Cleaning a 10/22 is not really needed all that often. It will often go 1000 rounds and still run fine. You will find though that the majority of folks here tend to thoroughly clean their guns if they as much as think about putting one round through them.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
The manual is a good place to start.
And then there a lot of good vids. on utube.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Ditto on the owner's manual and/or youtube. Also check the Ruger website: They have alot of great videos detailing their products.

You are going to love this gun!

Enjoy,

D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If i shot it a few weeks ago without cleaning it but not shooting it again is that a problem? I dont want it to already have damage :(

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum , we have a 10-22 forum, scan for it or search. World of info just for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is in deed pretty awesome and very enjoyable to shoot at the range. Any idea if i did damage by not cleaning it right away? A few weeks went by and i haven't used it since but i didn't know how to exactly clean it. It's my first gun so any helpful tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Check out Rugers videos.
Ruger Videos

It's under tech tips.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
It is in deed pretty awesome and very enjoyable to shoot at the range. Any idea if i did damage by not cleaning it right away? A few weeks went by and i haven't used it since but i didn't know how to exactly clean it. It's my first gun so any helpful tips are appreciated.
You have not damaged your rifle. You don't really have to clean it ever, as long as it works. Some people never clean their 22's.

However: Most people here seem to enjoy cleaning guns. They were taught by their dad, grandpa or drill instructor to keep their firearms spotless. It's sort of a religion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When i took it to the firing range it seemed like atleast one bullet in the magazine the cartridge casing failed to eject and got caught in the slide. A friend called it a smoke stack. Is it common? Im taking the trigger assembly apart and was wondering if theres a way to prevent this from happening again?

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
It is always a good idea to take a new gun down ,not only to clean the factory grease/oil out of it,but also learn how the gun breaks down and works...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
When i took it to the firing range it seemed like atleast one bullet in the magazine the cartridge casing failed to eject and got caught in the slide. A friend called it a smoke stack. Is it common? Im taking the trigger assembly apart and was wondering if theres a way to prevent this from happening again?
Sure he didn't call it a "stove pipe"?

It's probably not related to the trigger group.

Also, what kind of ammo are you putting through the rifle? Is it "Standard Velocity" or "High Velocity" or "Hyper Velocity"?

Standard usually has a muzzle velocity of about 1050'/sec while high has a muzzle velocity of about 1280'/sec and hyper velocity has even higher muzzle velocity.

When it stove pipes, is it the first or last round in your magazine?

I am going to guess it just needs a good cleaning and some breaking in. In my autoloading rimfire, if it gets real dirty, the bolt won't move properly and I get stovepipes.

DO NOT OVER LUBRICATE.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts