Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were buying today what would be your choice for your first Ruger P-Series pistol and what are the reasons behind your choice?
I am presently wavering between the P-90, the P-89, and the P-345. I am a big guy so please make recommendations with that in mind also.
Thanking you in advance,
peace

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Well, I know a lot of guys on this forum that swear by their P-345, but I just can not go plastic. (Not to mention that internal lock and magazine disconnect!) I have both a P89 and P90 and I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. My P90 is the most accurate .45 ACP I have ever owned. But, it all boils down to what caliber you would rather have, 9mm or .45. The guns are almost identical.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
My first "P" was the P95DPR, a double-stack 9mm 15+1 and 27 ounces... and now, I also have the P345PR, single-stack .45 ACP 8+1 and 29 ounces... Both are polymer framed.

Very light weight. Usally this would produce more perceived recoil for the shooter. However, felt recoil is lighter, compared to their metal-framed counterparts. It seems tha polymer frame "soaks" the recoil, minimizing muzzel flip and makes "back on target time" shorter, for faster follow-up shots... at least for me.

The P345PR is now my choice for CCW. Thinner in width and larger caliber... The grip has front and back strap checkering, and is contoured to fit the hand, with a smooth thumb area...

Your best bet is to go to a range where you can rent one of each. Because we are all unique, you should try them all and find the one that "fits" you. That's what I did.

Whatever you choose, do it before 2008 gets here, so you'll have a "grandfathered" hi-cap semi-automatic. I also reccomend getting a Concealed Carry permit for the same reasons...

I hope this helps you to make an informed decision...

Rick :)

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mentally I can wrap my mind around gunman's selection of a P89 and a P90 as they would fulfill my desire for a both a 9mm and .45 caliber combat and range guns, although the P345 seems to be the perfect carry gun as RNettles has stated. In a perfect world I would get all three. My quandary is which to get first. I thought I would just go with the 9mm P89 first, but I have learned that concealed carry is more responsibility than just a fun gun for the range and my son and many members of this forum make a strong case for the .45 calibers. Still a couple of weeks to work this out. Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
KP90DC....45.....ammo's less than $10 at Wally World...enough power for any CCW situation, recoil is a lazy push instead of a sharp kick, 6 Magazines will be plenty available...I can carry a P90 anywhere I can a P95 or 2" snub for that matter...Stainless tank and not that much bigger than a "more modern" version that has magazine disconnect and trigger lock and a spotty reliability record...I'm just a teeny bit dogmatic about "if only one".....then you can experiment and try others...answer the first question first...defense...then the others....My 14-year-old enjoys shooting my P90 and can hit with it better than I can-young eyes... .45's only rough on the other end of the barrel......and that's a proven fact...only other choice I'd consider would be if I could find a KP97DC-slightly lighter and maybe a tad smaller ...also a real shooter...

·
Registered
842 Posts
peace, due to lack of money, my gun buys are usually few and far between. I've owned a P85(very similar to the P89) for quite a while and like it but after shooting a friend's P95 a lot I really liked it too as it was a bit less bulky and lighter. When I went lookng for a new or at least new to me gun I had a hard time deciding. Looked at a 345 and it really felt good in my hand but I'm a bit put out by the new safety features especially the mag safety. Then I looked at a P90 and loved it but since I mainly wanted a carry gun I finally opted for the P97 because it was just a bit lighter and thinner. As luck would have it mine was one with the slide stop backing out issue but a call to Ruger and I was sent a new slide stop and camblock that fixed the problem. Alas, the P97 is discontinued (although used ones are available) and some 345s have had teething problems althought that seems to be getting better. After all of this ramble I can't really recommend one over the other although I'm very happy with my P97. If I were looking for another or different gun today, I would probably have a hard time deciding between the P90 and 345 for a .45 cal but in 9MM my own personal choice for a carry gun would definately be the P95. Sorry if this post hasn't been much help in your own decision.
Baker

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
From experience, the kp90.
The p90 has a proven track record. In my experience, it is one of the more reliable 45s on the market and reliability is my number one concern. Mine will even feed the old lawman 200 gr "flying ashtray" load that will choke alot of other autos.
The p90 has also been very accurate. I don't buy into the concept of "combat accuracy". I want more and the p90 delivers.
I also choose the 45 over the 9mm as a defense round. Not wanting to start a 45 vs 9mm debate here but to each his own. The 45 is an easy round to reload for. Never reloaded a 9mm so i can not make comparisons there.
I chose the p90 as a duty weapon--period. I currently must carry a sig but given the choice i would have the p90 back on my hip with no reservations.

Since your thread states what would be my choice for my 1st p series, I would have to say the p90 for the above listed reasons. I still have no hands on experience with the p345 but I have researched the weapon over the net. Have read where there were a few problems at 1st with this model, especially people not reading the owners manual creating problems(dry firing with no mag for example). I am not thrilled about the magazine disconnect safety feature either. And i will not disable a safety device on a weapon for liability issues. Seems that i have also read where the 8 rd mags have caused problems in the p345. Seems spotty as others have reported no problems. My 7rd mags have been flawless and that is another plus to ruger for their design. I was real curious about the 345 more for ccw than anything else but i am going to hold off for the above listed reasons.
My next p series handgun will probably be a ruger 9mm just to have a weapon system that has 15rd mags to get ahead of the next AWB. Looking more at the p93 than anything else but then again the p89 probably would fit the leather for my p90. Then again, I probably would not even carry it, why should i when i already have the p90.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well these posts have been helpful in helping me to solidify my decision. I have just one minor point that keeps nagging at me. How do folks handle the idea, that more than likely an armed BG is going to have 17 rounds of 9mm, to a P90 with only 8? I am really asking about the mental process. I know that my first instinct is to go to cover. After cover then what? Does the .45 instill some added confidence. I mean the BG's tactic could be "spray and pray", should I be on "1 shot, 1 kill?"

·
Registered
842 Posts
Rather, "one shot,one stop!! No lawyer problems in that.
Actually, although I carry a .45 most days now, I also feel well protected with a 9MM especially with todays bullets. I even carry a small .38 Sp revolver at certain times.:)
Baker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Noise don't kill...well-placed shots do...that's why you can feel very confident with a .45 against a hi-cap mag...you're going to hit what you shoot at...and most BG's don't-hence their need to fill the air with lead.....he's scared to death and you're....bold as a lion...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
you are responsible for every round that you put down range. you do not want your stray rds hitting innocents. Regardless of your caliber be it 9mm, 40, 45,or 357, you want to end the fight as soon as possible. The confidence that you speak of is in your ability to hit your target to stop the fight.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi peace...I vote for the KP90...proven track record as deputy125 states and a .45ACP is usually more accurate than a 9mm. For a second choice, I would vote .40S&W in the KP944. I know it is not one of your choices on the list, but I personally do not like 9mm. Why have most of the law enforcement departments that carried the 9mm a few years back changed to either .40S&W or better yet, .45ACP? As a big guy, if you also have big hands and do not like the narrower grips of the P94 or P944, you can put P89 or P90 grips on a P944 most of the time. I have had only one time that did not work. I switch grips all the time here for the guys with little hands or big hands. Usually works fine! Sorry to mess your choices up!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
KP97DC, I went to one of the local gun stores today and saw two used KP97DC's one for $319, and the other for $329. Haven't found any P90's used at all. New they are asking 440.00 for the KP90D. I would do it for around four. Is the 97 more or as accurate as the 90's?
I have read that review about six times all ready as I visit Davidson's online site about a dozen times each day. I am pooped out on this waiting period, into six weeks today of whats suppose to be an eight week process. I have a bad case of Rugeritis and somehow a used 10/22 carbine followed me home today. I have to have something to work on. I purchased a Dremel yesterday under the guise of needing it for doing some plumbing around the house. That kept it from being charged to my gun budget. Used it for the plumbing but also polished some actions and other parts.

Ron,
Right now the KP90DC is at the top of my list, would like to find it used though.

btrumanj, there is a warm spot in my heart for a P85 or P89 and I am hoping to fill it also. I can see that I will need at least 3 or 4 P series to scratch my itch.

Deputy and sheepdog, thanks for impressing upon me the need to develop accuracy through practice and reminding me of shot placement and the use of responsible sober judgment.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Generally speaking all the Ruger guns are good. There is a bad one now and then as there with anything. I have 2 P97DC's and they are both accurate and dependable. One has a rough spot on the double action trigger pull. I haven't taken the time to fix it yet.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I agree with KP97DC "Generally speaking, all the Ruger guns are good." Bravo for the idea of multiple P series pistols, peace! That is what usually happens with gunners. First this one, then you find another one, then another...whatever your finances permit. Ruger makes so many quality firearms. I wish I still had some Rugers that I sold. There are more on my wish list too...Some that I feel that I NEED to have. I hope you enjoy many, many Rugers, peace. Regards, Ron.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When I originally went to CCW class, one of the things that the instructor(who was the State Legislator who helped write our CCW law) shared with us was that we would be astonished to know how many NTex ministers have been through the CCW class...that meant a lot to me, as does your resolve, Peace, to become ready and able to be a part of the solution in this way...it's always troubled me to shake a pastor's hand and think I'd grabbed a wet washcloth and to hear the nicey-nice tone of voice...give me one like you anyday who knows what a Godly man really is and will stand up against evil and say "Not on my watch!!!" My pastor is a little fella-but when he gets on the subject of someone hurting women or kids, or terrorists working to destroy our country and homes, his jaw gets hard as a good pocketknife and there is not a doubt that there'd be a BIG trouble if someone tried to run over this "little" man of God to hurt his family...I think you're setting a wonderful example of what we should be when it comes to facing evil...and a great representation of the Warrior God we serve...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Either price on the KP97DC is a great price...and a KP90DC for 440 is excellent-I've got about 506 in mine brand new, plus extra mags(comes with 2) and any one of the three would be...I wouldn't want a blued one for CCW because I sweat all over mine all summer...even get some rust on stainless...have to fondle and clean it regularly...I'm looking to find a KP97DC and DAO as my next two .45s...you can believe anything good you hear and you'd be happy with any of the three...though the DAO is a looooooooonnnnng trigger pull.....

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
peace, check out gunbroker.com and auctionarms.com for a used p90. i carry a 45 as well.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went to a couple of other gun stores in our state today, but as far as Rugers both didn't have any new or used but will allow you to order from gallerofguns.com, so I guess it's to my local guy to put a deposit on the KP97DC. Yesterday I bought my first 10/22 a used 1979 vintage rarely fired, but dusty. Field stripped her and cleaned her up, some mild metal work,added a weaver base,rings and a scope,and then took her to the range today. This one I got for $140 out the door with 1 ruger mag, a 20 rounder and a 30 rounder.

I was going to go by the gun store this evening and look again and maybe put a deposit down, but I thought I would come back here to hear what my brothers had to say about the KP97's first. Thanks for the positive reinforcement.

Sheepdog, I can take no credit for what God has done in my life. He is the potter, I try to stay clay. He has given us great examples, Moses when he defended the Israelite and killed the Egyptian, Joshua, The Lords namesake, as he conquered the Promised Land, David as he smote Goliath, Samson and the Philstines, Elihu when he assassinated the tyrannical king, and many others. Deborah, Esther, not to leave out the courageous sisters, and you too.
Love you guys, warriors all, mighty men of valour, defenders of the faith, protectors of the weak, sheepdogs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts