Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's my own fault...I've removed the front sight from my 1022 so many times
that now the new one from Williams just pops out.
How do you guys shore it up so that stays in? Shims?
Please advise!
Thanks

·
Banned
650 Posts
Try some locktite. Can you just push the sight around with your fingers? If you do not need tools locktite is just a temporary fix. You really need parts if you can move the sight with your fingers. I saw original sights for $9 and up on eBay. If you have Williams peep sights I would ditch them for some Tech Site National Match sights. They cost about $25 more than Williams sights but Tech Site National Match sights will last and they are much more accurate. You can change the sight pin so the pin matches the bullseye at the distance you are shooting. Tech Sites are popular with NRA Smallbore winners.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I've fixed them before by putting a burr on the underside of the sight where it sits against the barrel dovetail. Turn the sight upside down and secure in a small vise, then take a small pointed punch and give the underside of the sight a whack with a hammer and the punch. This will make a small divot on the sight that will grab and hold to the barrel when you tap it back in. I would also use a bit of blue loctite. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Try some locktite. Can you just push the sight around with your fingers? If you do not need tools locktite is just a temporary fix. You really need parts if you can move the sight with your fingers. I saw original sights for $9 and up on eBay. If you have Williams peep sights I would ditch them for some Tech Site National Match sights. They cost about $25 more than Williams sights but Tech Site National Match sights will last and they are much more accurate. You can change the sight pin so the pin matches the bullseye at the distance you are shooting. Tech Sites are popular with NRA Smallbore winners.
Huh? Tech-Sights use a front sight post, not a globe, so "matching" the bullseye is not an option.

Jerry: I hope you have been consistently removing the front sight by drifting from left to right, as the front sight dovetail in the barrel is slightly tapered. If not, you may have altered the geometry of the dovetail. Which model of Williams sights are you installing? As Trigg said, you can use a punch to put a dimple in the edge of the sight base which will expand the aluminum to make a tight fit in the dovetail. I'd do one or two on each side once the front sight is centered.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Reverse problem

My problem is reverse of yours'
I can not get my front sight off mine. I want to replace it with the Williams fiber optic job

1 - 5 of 5 Posts