Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled 2 of my M77MKIIVT's out of their stocks yesterday, and I can't get them put back together correctly. I tightened up the 3 screws on the bottom, but I can't get the floorplate to latch completely. Am I missing something here? What order am I supposed to tighten the screws down to, and is there a specific torque? That's the only thing that I can imagine that is causing my problem??

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Loosen them all up, tighten the two trigger guard screws, make sure the floor plate will close, then tighten up the floor plate screw.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check to make sure the magazine is seated properly. If it isn't in the correct position, it will keep the magazine floorplate from closing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got it all back together and it closes now! I couldn't tighten the front screw in the trigger gaurd as tight as I would have liked though. I've got the magazine box in the only way it would fit. The front lip is on the bottom of the loading ramp though?? It loads and cycles fine, and it wouldn't fit any other way.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to push really hard on the floorplate to get it to close also.......

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone?????

·
Super Moderator
21,482 Posts
My 77 closes pretty easily. No issues there and it is a shooter in 270 caliber.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The owners manual tells you the correct order to tighten the screws. If you do not tighten them in the correct order, you could potentially, and probibly will, open your groups up quiet a bit. I know a couple of time where people have blamed the poor acurracy of there rifles (4-6" @ 100 yards) on Ruger, when it turned out that they took the gun apart, they put it back together wrong.

I posted a request some time ago to get the proper torque values for M77 MKII's. I will post the information below. I wish I could remember who gave me the information though.

Charlie
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Torque M77 MKII For Increased Accuracy
The sequence and torques are:
1. The diagonal screw, torque to 50-90 inch-pounds.
2. The aft trigger guard screw, 30-50 inch pounds.
3. The forward trigger guard screw, also to 30-50 inch pounds.

The torque values will have an effect on barrel harmonics. Ruger uses the upper limits when assembling. But some experimenting may be helpful if you want to tweek the lst little bit of accuracy out of the rifle.

I use a slightly different sequence:

1. Forward trigger guard screw, just tight enough to hold the magazine well in place. Then close the magazine floorplate; this positions the trigger guard properly. Yes, it is possible to get the trigger guard positioned where the magazine floorplate won’t close!
2. Aft trigger guard screw. Tighten to hold the trigger guard firmly in place.
3. Then open the magazine floorplate, and use the torque sequence at the top of this post.

**Sometimes just adjusting the torque on the diagonal screw will make all the difference as far as group size. I usually do it in 5 in-lb increments. Just remember it's 35 in-lbs minimum and 90 in-lbs maximum on the diagonal screw; 30-50 on the trigger guard screws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.