Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved in a new house and in the master bedroom closet was this old non workin lookin 410 shotgun the receiver and barrel have swirl marks its old with small dimpled corosion. Any markings have been intentionaly grinded off minus the words "proof steel". Oddly the serial numbers behind the trigger apear all there. Maybe a forum member has had one of these past or present ????

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
cisco, that looks like an old winchester shotgun, i'm not sure what exact model but it does resemble a model 12, you need to google or bing those serial numbers to find out what it is and when it was made.

bet it could be restored to shooting condition, i know send it to a forum member sharps40 , he does a good job on shotguns , just checkout some of his threads on it.

only other thing is it maybe stolen so becareful on that too.

·
Registered
17,166 Posts
I'm pretty sure sharpshooter's right as best as I can see the pictures.
A Winchester model 12. I think it's also a take-down.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I also believe it is a older model-12 Winchester. If it had been stolen, the serial number is normally ground off. Some bubba may have tried his hand at trying to remove the rust and pits on the barrel and did a poor job and quit.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I'm having a little trouble getting past that 2nd picture where it looks like you're trying to recharge it... :D

If you're a crafty type like some here that looks like it could be a project. I don't have any idea off the top of my head where the serial numbers are on my Mossberg so it might be the guy missed those. The stolen shotgun possibility might be my only (small) concern.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It looks like a Winchester model 12. I looked at a picture of a Winchester model 42, and it looks nothing like yours. A picture of the ejection port side would be helpful for ID.
Nice gun, I'd restore it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If it is a 410 it is a Model 42 anything else is a Model 12 Winchester. No matter what I am hoping some gun butcher rots in Hades for butchering that shotgun up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea i need load another pic of the magazine where it ataches to the receiver it looks home welded. Weird i know. Ill post tonite...

·
Registered
774 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Looks like an Ithica Model 37 Featherlight shot gun. 16 or 20 ga.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it is a take-down model of the Ithica Model 37 Featherlight shotgun.
In either 16 or 20 ga.
The barrel is removed by pulling out the lever and turning the round 'nut' on the end of the forearm. Once that is unscrewed, the barrel can be removed by a simple 1/4 turn and pulling it off.
They used to come with a canvas case to store the two parts in.
That's what it looks like to me, anyway.
Ithica Model 37 Featherlight shotgun.
Looks like a tent stake now.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The forearm appears to be that of a Winchester 12, not an Ithaca 37.

·
Registered
186 Posts
cisco, that is defintly a model 12 winchester, they used the same retaining pin design that the old 97 used.

now i seen the condition of it , i say it's a good wall hanger for display only. whoever did that to that shotgun should've been shot with rocksalt in his reearend. what a waste of a decent piece of equipment.

you could try to save it but you would have more money in it than what it's worth and it might not even fire. but whatever you do with it have fun with it, it's freebie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts