Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello my friends, by way of introduction, I'm a social worker who believes in the 2nd amendment, working for 2 more months as a substance abuse counselor, then its RE-TIRED!!!, and I live along the St Lawrence in northern NY. Army Vet, yada, yada yada...and yes I'm a democrat...

any way been shooting all kinds of things since I was a youngster,archery, some competitive, Black powder, some competition, but lately I've been concentrating more on handguns. Currently have an original Single Six Convertible, a Bisley Blackhawk in .45 long colt, and some automatics, 380, 45, and a Mark I.
This last week I bought this new one, primarily because I wanted a .41, but i also liked the way it looks...but what is it exactly, anyone have an idea. The gun shop says it's nickel plated, I think it's polished stainless, and it's magnaported...shoots nice, put almost 100 rounds of handloads into a 14x20 target off hand at about 40 yards,
I thought I had a pic of the target board but I don't, but anyway...does anyone have any ideas about this Blackhawk. Serial number puts it into the early 90's, 47-36XXX, but thats all I know. here's some pics, I hope.

this one is the day I bought it,
"
this one is to show the ports

this one is to show the new Walnut grips

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If it is nickle plated, it for sure is not factory, and of course the ports are not factory either. No picture is coming through. That would help some.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
One quick way to tell nickel plating is to place it along side a stainless gun. The nickel will have a yellowish cast to it. Very different looking, but sometimes not so noticeable until you see them side by side.

·
Registered
405 Posts
No idea what it might be, but if I saw one like it I just might feel the need for .41 mag. Nice looking revolver and shoots to boot.

A gun-toting NY social working democrat. Must be some interesting conversations around the coffee pot at work.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Mark, a job is a job, as long as YOU enjoy it, thats ALL that matters.......

as for the gun, it has to be "plated" whether nickel or chrome, its hard to say, only as Cary says, when compared to another, the "hue" (color/tint) whitish, chrome, yellow, nickel, will tell you... they never made the 41 magnum Blackhawks in 'stainless' thats how we know................of course the ports were done by 'Mag-na-port' upin Mt Clemens ,Mich, that is their "trade mark style.....all in all a nice gun and probaly a GOOD shooter too.....

·
Super Moderator
21,404 Posts
It looks like a nickel finish to me as well. I like the looks with the wood grips and the magna-porting should help control when shooting with the wood. The best part is it sounds like it's a shooter so enjoy it.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of good useful info here and some opinions that you may or may not agree with.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
question---being a 41 blackhawk, would the grip frame be aluminum? can you chrome or nickle aluminum?

·
Registered
679 Posts
They plated the frames of the SC-6 for Ruger years ago, at Superior plating in Southport, so I KNOW it can be done.......
I've seen other metals plated, as well as anodized in about ANY color one can think of, yes, sonme are even "coated"....as for the aluminum, in the past all I have done is strip it and polish it out, comes out "as shiny" if done right, the issue is will it match "nickel" as well as it does 'chrome'................
look at the new stainless Bearcats from Ruger, they have a stripped aluminum ejector housing,not even steel to go with the gun....?? go figure

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ludwig Drum company has been chroming aluminum snare drums for over 50 years.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
always learning something! gotta love this board!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Somebody's BBQ gun in nickel is my guess. I'll bet it is a shooter, and you made a good deal to boot. Sure looks better with the wood than with those ugly rubber bumpers installed. Congratulations on a neat gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to thank you all for the input so far. Went to a gun show this weekend and looked at a Vaquero that was polished stainless and both me, my shooting buddy and the seller agreed that mine is polished stainless...is there any way to be sure? I know the grip frame is not steel, no magnetic attraction, but the rest of the gun is magnetic also, but then so is Bob's brushed stainless 44 mag. Gonna call Ruger today and see what i can find out...BTW bought a Blackhawk 4 3/4" 45Colt at the show for afeww dollars and a Hsc that i had. pics soon.
thanx,
mark

·
Super Moderator
21,404 Posts
I don't own a Blackhawk (I do have a Super Blackhawk with a 7 1/2" bbl) but I think the 4 5/8" bbl is the way to go. Do you reload the 45 Colts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts