Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a fresh egg when it comes to guns. An incident happened recently on my property that understandably prompt my fiance to get me a gun. He's told me to use his in case of emergency but since I have ZERO experience with guns I have no confidence in me being able to utilize it correctly, let alone I can't rack the slide as fluidly as I believe I should be (he owns a S&W SD9VE)

I was able to check out his dads collection of .22's and .380's, ended up being able to at least shoot a .22 Walther. With a .22 I handled it very well and didn't know what I was so worried about after the fact. I been doing a lot of research for the passed week and a half and I'm still worried about .380 recoil.

Though since coming across the LC380 and the Shield EZ 380 and looking into those the recoil would be greatly reduced compared to a LCP II and BodyGuard from what I gather since they're bigger. My fiance is wanting me to get the Shield EZ but the safety grip rubs me the wrong way. I tend to over think things and come up with potential scenarios one of which being, what if I do need to use a gun and because my grip not being the best it could be on the gun at that moment it doesn't fire when I need it to? So I have little interest in that one.

Sorry for the overly long winded explanation, but now that I've made my decision we're having no luck on finding a LC380. I've looked everywhere online and potential stores, even on Ruger's buy now option and locations its "out of stock". Our last ditch effort is gonna be trying the gun & knife show that is luckily gonna be coming to town next weekend. Hopefully somebody there happens to have at the very least one. *fingers crossed*

Does anybody happen to know whats going with Ruger and the LC380 being out of stock currently everywhere it seems?? I've been doing so much research from hopping around different guns and finally come to one I feel is the right gun for me and end up at a dead end.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,974 Posts
Have you considered a revolver? They are much easier and safer to operate. For home defense, nothing says a gun has to be small in fact small guns recoil more and are typically harder to operate. Take a look at a 4" Ruger GP100 in 357 Mag. You can shoot lighter recoiling 38 Specials for practice and self defense.

·
Exchequer
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of shooting.

I too would suggest that you consider a revolver.

As a new shooter, I think you will find that a revolver is very simple to understand and operate. They are virtually fool proof as long as they are (like any firearm) properly maintained / cleaned.

Before you make any decision, it might be a good idea to find a local range where you can rent a few pistols (revolvers and semi autos) and try them out. See which ones fit you best that you are comfortable with.

Good luck and please let us all know how things go and what you finally decide to do.

·
Registered
968 Posts
At your stage of learning--I definitely recommend a revolver. Rent a few .38s and then make your choice.....just say'n.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
3,079 Posts
Glad you are here. Take the time and get some assistance and practice as much as you can with the current LC380. Get in touch with someone that can help you and try (rent) to find something you are comfortable with. A revolver is a great choice for me and I always used them for carry and self defense. See if you can locate a good local gun shop or range that can rent you different firearms so you can decide for yourself what safely works for you. Welcome to the forum and PLEASE let us know how you are doing. This forum has good people and you can learn from the experience here. Be safe, take care of yourself and all I can add is try to have fun getting used to shooting.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Try Bud's Gun Shop. I have had good experience with them.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/84869/ruger+3219+lc380+7%2b1+380acp+312%22

You will need to locate a dealer near you that charges a reasonable transfer fee. Some of them charge too much, so ask around.

Bud's has this link to help find a dealer;
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/ffl.php

If you find one at the gun show then you could get it quicker obviously. But this could be an option for you.

You can also try Kentucky Gun Co.:
https://kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=95482

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
To say it nicely, don't listen to your significant other when it comes to guns! It will be YOUR gun.
I'd suggest trying to find a local range and get your hands on as many different types of guns as possible and either have some formal training with them, or have your fiance along for assistance and guidance. But again, no decisions from him!
Get what fits your grip, feels good, and most importantly, what you shoot the best.
I'd highly recommend a full size gun to start with. The LC380 is somewhat of a larger gun so that would be ok. My daughter tried every gun imaginable when she was looking for a carry gun. She went to buy a Shield, and ended up with an HK VP9. She absolutely loved the ergonomics and decided to practice with that bigger gun before worrying about a carry gun.
I highly, highly recommend shooting before buying. Have you shot the Smith 9mm of your fiance?
Be patient.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would have said they were all over the place, as I had seen them for $199 to $219 all over the internet. and I bought one for $199 in November and even bought a spare magazine for it.

They do have one California version at Grab-a-gun but they are double the price of a Louisiana gun

Gun broker has a couple new for $249 and up, and one used for $229 with 2 magazines (A magazine runs about $30)

I have ten pocket 380 models including the LC-380. I have to date only shot it 21 rounds, but so far I am happy with it.

If you can't find one, try a Remington RM-380, Easy to rack, shoots everything and is all metal. I like my Ruger's better. but the RM-380 has a lot going for it

I also bought a New Taurus Spectrum and it is a good gun, but I also only have 21 rounds thru it. If you have a range with rental guns near you I would try one.

·
Exchequer
4,804 Posts
Ghoulqueen91,

One other option that might be appropriate for you is a pistol like the Beretta Bobcat or Tomcat. The former is a 22 lr and the latter is a 32 acp. Both feature a tip up barrel where the first round is loaded so there is no slide to rack. I know Taurus makes a lower cost version of the Bobcat. I own one and, though I don't shoot it often, it has been problem-free for me. I will occasionally carry the little Taurus in a pocket when my dress options don't allow for something more substantial.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Hi G.Q.91-
If you follow thru with the LC380 I'll offer some encouragement. Both my wife and daughter learned to shoot with an LC380. A couple years later I was mentoring a young lady I work with and taught her on the LC380. Eventually gifted it to her.

The LC380 was the lightest recoiling small 380 I've ever come across. Buy a rubber grip sleeve and it will be even more comfortable.

Some of the guys recommended a revolver. My wife eventually decided she preferred revolvers over semi-auto and she does quite well with them.

Keep us posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts