Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a orgy of EEzox enthusiasm, I foolishly tore down all my 15 round M1 carbine mags and now can't remember exactly how they go together.
Worse, I want to go shooting tomorrow morning.

I hope some saintly M1 guy who knows the answer to the following question will answer this post.

The magazine's movable metal part that pushes the cartridges upward is called the "follower". The follower has a tapered ramp on one end but not the other.

Question:

Does the follower's ramp go to the front of the rifle or to the back?

Regards,

Hopeful HAM

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
The follower looks like a bullet, one end flat, the other rounded. teh round end goes to the front just like a real bullet would.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much obliged ikar for your timely reply. And a nice way to remember it.
Also, might you also know if there is a right and wrong way for the spring orientation?

Regards,

HAM

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I've never taken out the springs from any clip but I would assume that it shouldn't make any difference. If you have removed the spring, try putting one togerher and loading it. Then peel out the rounds. You can also load the weapon with those plastic training bullets or dummy rounds and just keep pulling back on the charging handle. This should show you if it's right.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've never taken out the springs from any clip but I would assume that it shouldn't make any difference. If you have removed the spring, try putting one togerher and loading it. Then peel out the rounds. You can also load the weapon with those plastic training bullets or dummy rounds and just keep pulling back on the charging handle. This should show you if it's right.
+1

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
In truth clips don't have springs,magazines do. If the follower has a tilt like a 1911 then the spring should be put in with the tilt matching. Clips are what is used in guns like the old M-1 rifle or stripper clips like the SKS

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I, people I have worked with and many others have called them clips for many years and I intend to continue. Back in the day when I was first introduced to semi/full automatic weapons the term clips were used all the time, partly as a holdover from the earlier days and partly because it was a bit quicker to say.

Striper clips were also used with the 1903 Springfield, Mauser, and M-16 to name a few.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts