Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got this surplus slick side M16 upper, or maybe it's a Colt SP-1 upper I'm not sure.......about 7 years ago.....

Built it up on a Nodak Spud lower, and mil-spec parts.

I already have a similiar rifle, an M16A1 repro, that I left pure "GI" so I built this one up to go for the "1980's police SWAT sharpshooter rifle" look.......

The S&W 581 is in the pic just to make a nice early 80's "companion" piece to the AR:)

I got a surplus carry handle Picatinny rail mount that screws into the hole on the carry handle, a 70's-80's vintage 3-9x made in the USA Redfield, with new Redfield rings. Nice glass, it's nice to be able to go from 3x for basically no magnification, but move up to 9x for more precise shooting. I can still use the irons under the scope mount, which is a nice feature so I don't lose that ability.

I would like to track down a new light profile barrel to sock away in case I need to have my trusty smith change it out, and re-mount the 3-prong flash hider........I built this to use as a range shooter. A few spare extractors would be handy too. I'm familiar with the platform from my time in the Army and also built these two AR's from just an upper, stripped lower and a pile of parts......

Now, I need a cheek pad..........I'm looking at either a repro leather M1 Garand lace-on cheekpad that will fit the M16 stock.......a Delta-style cheek piece, or one of the canvas "strap on" olive drap cheek pads that are out there. I don't want anything new or "tacti-cool" but want to stay with a vintage look. Also need a sling, might go with one of the repro black "set belt" style nylon slings or a leather 1917 type.

Any opinions or ideas about this rifle?

Attachments

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I'm studying the picture of your AR. I wouldn't do much to it. It looks pretty good the way it is. I'd find a period sling and add that.

If you're feeling really ambitious, find an A1 lower to match (I see the anodization on the lower doesn't match the Colt grey- not a big deal).

I think you have a pretty nice reproduction.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You:)

It doesn't match, but I waited 6+ months some years ago for Nodak Spud to cough up a "slick side"no fence lower for this thing so I kinda "need" to use it, it wasn't cheap either. The "A1" lower from NDS also took the same amount of time and went on my A1 repro, that my Dad carried in a parade last month. 99.9% of people could care less about small features on the lower and if I just used a Bushmaster stripped lower no one would know, but I would know:) I even paid $100 or more for a Fulton Armory chromed bolt carrier to be "correct" for the early slick side no forward assist M16. I had a repro early style triangle charging handle but I hated it, and took it out of the rifle. It was useless for actual use and I figured I didn't need to go that deep into cosmetics. The early M16's became a mish mash of old and new parts as they went through service anyway, with armorers replacing parts. Some of those old slab side 3-prongers saw use well through the Gulf War era with non-combat arms troops.

I got the idea to scope this with a vintage scope when I read about how some larger city PD's got surplus pre-A1 M16's from the govt. for their SWAT teams, when SWAT was a new thing....as even the National Guard got enough A1's they surplused out the aging "slab sides" to police depts. when all those riots in the 60's and 70's showed some PD's needed better "response" weapons.....my Dad knew a guy who was a retired cop, from Newark NJ......he had stories about driving around during the MLK riots wearing a flak jacket and a helmet, both guys in the car had M16's and ammo cans full of mags......apparently they had to use them a few times he didn't go into great detail because that's not a "PC" subject....

Some PD's also just used plain Colt semi-auto SP-1 sporter rifles. This looks like something that might have been used in the 80's......my efforts so far to find a Pachmayr AR-15 grip have come up empty but I don't think it would look right anyway.

My reason for looking for a cheek pad is that the scope mount is very high, and I need a "chin weld" to get the proper eye relief which doesn't lend itself to good shooting. Since some guys used the leather cheek pads on non-scoped M1 Garands throughout Korea-early Vietnam I could try one of the $25 repros, if it doesn't fit the AR it will go on the M1, or the new Springfield Armory M1A I plan to get at some point.... it won't go to waste.......plus $25 is a drop in the bucket compared to whatever else I spend money on these days.....The "Delta" style is period correct but ugly IMO, but it will serve m purpose and not be "out of place" on the rifle. They snap on and mount easy, people say the lace on leather pads are a PITA...... Those new Blackhawk! canvas AR15 cheek pads are completely incorrect for this rifle.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,045 Posts
I like your idea, and result for your reproduction. I am a BIG fan of the older ar15, m16a1 original, an clones, why I own a xm177 derived clone, and a m16a1 clone I built.they just feel right in your hands, and its the most prized in my ar collection.

As far as a period correct barrel, I would say that fulton armory is probably a good place to look for a correct profile barrel, I used a delton lightweight barrel on my 20", its gas block is a .750 but the rest is correct. Fulton has a .625 gas blocked barrel. I have seen a few others around but they are hard to find. Its actually getting kinda tough to find the a1 handguards, and to fimd nice ones you will lay $$$. I do have experience with the nodak spud colt reproduction lower and upper, they are awesome, but hard to come by due to the wait. I am a loss of words over the cheekriser, i have a carry handle mount, but never used it since I have other ar's that are flattops with scopes. Although I do like your rendition, and interested in seeing it complete. Good luck. Here are my clones, although not perfectly correct to the original, they fit the bill for my tastes, and I really enjoy them. They are also very, very accurate.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love those:)

Like an idiot 5 years ago I sold a bunch of used A1 handguards and pistol grips for about $100, probably should have just kept them.

My A1 clone has pretty much found a home as a semi-annual parade rifle, although I may get into Vietnam re-enacting, since at 35 I'm getting too old to play my former self as an Army Infantry E-5 who got out in 2010:)

I decided to just go with a clone of the Delta cheek piece, the lace on leather pad looks like too much of a PITA and might not even work. The Delta piece just snaps on and is tightened by two hex bolts. It would also be "period" correct for what I'm going for with the 70's-80's era "police sharpshooter" rifle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts