Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to get a 22 revolver or pistol. It will pay for itself in ammo savings and I love my 10/22 for plinking and I think it needs a partner.

I just got a GP100 and love it and it has really turned me onto revolvers. Before that I had all 1911's and semi autos except one J frame. So here I am trying to decide on the "best" 22 hand gun to get.

First I would really, really like to have one that shoots 22wmr for armadillos and such and to be able to shoot 2 kinds of ammo with 1 one gun so the the single six convertible seems perfect. The problem is its SA. Having never owned an SA I wonder if I am going to hate loading/unloading it. I like the idea of being able so shoot DA but like most I shoot my GP100 SA 99% of the time anyone, so loading and unloading is the main advantage of a DA to me.

Of course the 22/45s are much loved and I really, really like 1911s so no brainer there but it only shoots 22lr.

The SP101 is nice and I like thats its an 8 shot and DA but only shoots 22lr as well. I guess I could consider a S&W 617 here too but not sure what those are going for.

Lastly (unless yall have some more suggestions) is the taurus 992. It has it all as far as I'm concerned. 9 shot DA revolver in 22LR and 22wmr. The problem? Its a taurus. I know a good taurus is a good gun, the problem is actually getting a good.

All these guns are close enough in price it wont really matter. The 22/45 COULD me a lot cheaper but I would likely get it in the SS hunter that Davidsons offers so that puts it in the ball park with the rest. Any other the others I would get would be in SS as well.

Any and all info/advice/suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Dont just limit yourself to the Ruger 22s there are a lot of very good 22 cal pistols and revolvers out there to choose from.
Visit your LGS and and see what they have and hold them and see what feels and looks good to you.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Don't let the loading/unloading of a SA bother you. Most SA users, myself, included, actually enjoy the loading/unloading one at a time. It's therapeutic; it's fun; it's nostalgic. If that's the only thing that's holding you back from getting a Single Six, get down to your LGS and get a Single Six, now. From what you describe, the Single Six is the gun you want, anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LGS? Ha, no such thing around here. I have a family member that is a gun dealer (no store front) so I get them for cost. Cant really go wrong with whatever I get as I can get rid of it and still break even or come close.

I am not in a huge hurry to get the gun but I know the sooner I get it the sooner I can start saving on ammo. 45's and 357s are kind of pricey to shoot as you all well know.

n c gal, I have seen your posts about the loading and unloading of SA and has me leaning more and more that way.

·
Registered
655 Posts
To me, the Single Six is the perfect .22 caliber handgun. I too worried about the loading / unloading but like ncgal said, it becomes part of the whole experience and I think it forces you to take your time, focus on each shot, slow down a little and enjoy the whole experience of shooting. It also brings in the "cowboy" thing that I love. It has an awesome trigger and great accuracy. All this and it handles .22wmr AND it's beautiful to look at! I don't think you could go wrong with a stainless Single Six. If you go with a Single Six, next you'll be trying to decide what barrel length to go with!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I would start with the Single Six, and then if you think you just cant live with a Single Action, keep it, sight it in for WMR and get the SP101. Now you got the best of both worlds. Thats what I did...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Get the Single Six! They are bullet proof, accurate, & fun. You'll like it & just might get hooked on the SA.
Frank

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,798 Posts
Broaden your horizons ... you already have a DA revolver and a semi-auto rifle ... why not buy a Single-Six Single Action? Of course a MK III would make a great companion gun for your 10/22. Decisions, decisions ... all it takes is $$$$.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You guys (and gals) bring up some good points. I also have 2 22wmr bolt guns, one of which I keep in one of my work trucks 24/7 so going with the single six makes sense there too.

My biggest problem (other than being indecisive and not having enough money to own all they guns I want all at one time) is the stinking 992 from taurus. It is exactly what I want, except its not made in the good ol USA and taurus's reputation kind of stinks.

I will most likely end up with all of em, its just a matter of in what order.

Thanks for all the advice

PS, IF I got the single six it would for sure be SS and the only barrel lengths I see on Ruger's sight are 5.5 and 6.5. Was planning on going with the 5.5, but not being able to hold or shoot both, what say you oh Ruger forum?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
PS, IF I got the single six it would for sure be SS and the only barrel lengths I see on Ruger's sight are 5.5 and 6.5. Was planning on going with the 5.5, but not being able to hold or shoot both, what say you oh Ruger forum?
That one has been well hashed out on the forum, so just do a search. As for me, I've always preferred the feel and balance of the 5 1/2", but it is entirely a personal preference. I've also had the 6 1/2" and been very happy with it. Head to the gun shop and pick up both.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
Get the Single Six! They are bullet proof, accurate, & fun. You'll like it & just might get hooked on the SA.
Amen brother. That's exactly how it started for me. A used Single Six 6 ½" somehow morphed and multiplied into a stainless Single Six Convertible 4 ⅝", a stainless Single Ten, Blackhawk Convertibles in every available caliber, and a Super Blackhawk .44 mag.

So, I too recommend the Single Six Convertible or a Single Ten. Personally I prefer the 4 ⅝" barrel on all my single action revolvers but, any barrel length single action makes for fun shooting.

Having said all that, the SP101 is a sweet .22 too. I'd like to have a double action revolver to enhance my collection of .22 caliber semi autos and my Single Six and Single Ten. :)

As Lowegan said: "Decisions, decisions . . . "

We're not just talking chocolate and vanilla here, we're talking 28 different flavors. :D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
+100.

I like 5 1/2" barrelled Single Actions ... but I have a 6 1/2" Single Six ... Go figure. Anyway wouldn't trade it for the world.... Accurate and fun. Can shoot .22LR or .22Mag. What more could you want? Was just out shooting it today in fact.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
I have a 6 1/2" Single Six ... Go figure. Anyway wouldn't trade it for the world.... Accurate and fun. Can shoot .22LR or .22Mag. What more could you want? Was just out shooting it today in fact.
Yeah, still working on Div. 1 :D :D :D

I'll be giving it my last effort next Wednesday then posting my results. :D

I now return this thread to it's original content. :)

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I also like the stainless guns. I have a 5.5" stainless Single Ten, and a 5.5" stainless Single Six convertible. I also have a blued 4 5/8" Single Six. I like its balance the best. Lipseys has both, a Single Ten 4 5/8" stainless and a Single Six 4 5/8" stainless. If I were buying new today, thats the way I would go. Both stainless, both 4 5/8"

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
My very first handgun was a 6.5" stainless Ruger Single-Six revolver...and I still have it! It's one of my favorite, and most accurate, little revolvers! Having both the .22lr and the .22 Mag cylinders is awesome!

I recommend everyone have one of those...just to have a fun single-action revolver around to shoot!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
SA is the way to go, Single Six.

·
Banned
163 Posts
What are you using it for? One of my favorites in .22Lr is the SP101. Ruger only made a hand full of them in .22 more in .32 and most in .357. They have started a new run with a 8 round cylinder versus the 6 round one I had, gave it to one of my sons. Built like a tank and fairly accurate. I think the reason a lot of folks are pointing you to SA revolvers is that is the most accurate mode you can fire in, cock the hammer take careful aim and hit the target with one round instead of spraying it. I like both but prefer the DA, like the SP101. You get the best of both worlds and there may come a time when you want to unload all 8 rounds via DA or 6, if you can find one of the original SP101 like I gave away. Either way, based on a lifetime of experience you will like either one you get. Ruger and Mossberg, the Chevrolets of guns.

Reb

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The SP101 is nice and I like thats its an 8 shot and DA but only shoots 22lr as well. I guess I could consider a S&W 617 here too but not sure what those are going for.
Early this year I bought a S&W 617 for $719 (that's before tax). As a Ruger fan I'd rather have gone with Ruger, but I personally found the small frame of the SP101 simply too small for my taste. Though I must say the SP101 is a great looking gun.

Unlike you, I never plan to shoot .22 Mag, so a Single Ten is another gun I seriously considered. Though the slow loading/unloading of a SA simply didn't appeal to me.

There is Taurus as you mention, but like you said, Taurus has a problem: it's a Taurus. I hear from people who love them, then I also read many tales about folks who send them in for repair repeatedly and get back a gun that's still defective. I figure with Ruger and S&W one can reasonably expect that a gun will either work or be fixed properly so that it does.

If you were looking for the most bang for your buck with a .22LR handgun then a 22/45 seems the obvious choice. If you want LR/Mag versatility then a Single Six seems the best choice (not DA, but more importantly, not a Taurus).

I suppose learning to master a DA trigger would be an argument for the 617. It's virtually the same size & weight as "real" revolvers like a .357 Mag. .22LR is about the only affordable way extensively practice DA live fire. Though the trigger is quite heavy compared to what I'm used to on my GP100 (which I never fire DA anyhow).

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you are looking for a good plinking 22 try the LCR22lr, I purchased one a few weeks ago and really enjoyed shooting it, hold 8 rounds and is just a joy to shoot and maintain

1 - 20 of 22 Posts