Ruger Forum banner

Which one?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to buy a revolver and I've narrowed my choices to either a s&w 28 or a ruger security 6. Both are nearly the same price, age, and condition. The ruger might be a little less worn. It'll be a shooter, range time and also probably home defense. Which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
Ruger Shooter
365 Posts
Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum snubbie because I own one and love it:
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Wood
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

What a beautiful specimen and a great shooter with a trigger pull from heaven; accurate, powerful, controllable.

PS If you pass on the Ruger, tell us where it is; if you get it, brag your a** off here.

Good luck - keep shooting.

·
Registered
Love guns
164 Posts
Smith 28..............or even better, a smith 27..........go over to the S&W forum and you are gonna get a different poll response from most. (fyi, I own both of your choices)
I own both also. The 28 is bigger and the trigger in single or da is MUCH better. The Ruger feels better in hand but I guess I could change the grips on my 28 to the original ones.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
You didn't say what the intended purpose of the revolver would be, but having purchased my S&W 28 very nearly a half century ago I would have tended to suggest you choose it. Mine (6") was a little large for carry but did the job in a Bianchi X-15 for many years and while heavy .44s might loosen up a S&W 29 (same "N" frame) over time I don't think you could shoot a S&W 28 loose in .357, at least I haven't been able to.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Well, it's settled. I prefer the Ruger because I have used the 6 in the past and have found it to be a good solid, and reliable weapon. If I ever have a "N" frame Smith again it would be a replacement for the 41 magnum I used to have. Otherwise prefer 'k' frame size pistols.

·
Premium Member
3,161 Posts
I've had both and really liked both. I'm partial to the Security Six, but wouldn't blink if I got a good deal on a Smith Highway Patrolman. BTW, it's an N-Frame and you're not going to shoot it loose with full-house .357s.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts