Ruger Forum banner

Which one?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Not that it stopped me from buying one but Ruger no longer supports the 6 series. I think I'd avoid buying one that's in poor shape/needs repair.
Any gun can break at any time. I don't shoot my sec 6 much because if it does break I may not be able to get it fixed. I tried to break it and blow it up when I first got it and am a little surprised it's still going 40 years later. It's a semi-collectors gun for me. I'll just shoot it every now and again. My first gun and fond memories. First gun my daughter shot too.

I have too many others that I can shoot of more current vintage that I have a better chance of getting fixed if something happens.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The six series was a service /duty revolver designed to compete with S&W's K frame. Both are lighter and more compact than a Model 28 (which has adjustable sights, not fixed.)
Most six Rugers I've shot gave acceptable accuracy for a service gun, but they were really known for their durability. A bullseye target gun they are not. Although there are always exceptions to the rules.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Well, shouldn't have but ended up with both. I'll post some pictures when I finally get them, got both online.
You may have a tinge of buyers remorse now but as time goes on I'm sure you'll be absolutely glad you got them both. It's academic at this point but I never answered the original question. The Highway Patrolman would be the one to get. Maybe I'm a little jaded because I already have a Security Six and am looking for a nice model 28. I find it hard to believe that both guns of similar condition are priced about the same. I would think the Smith would be significantly higher.

I run across quite a few M28's but finding one in good condition at the right price is what I'm waiting on.

Reactions: sandog and Smee78

·
Registered
362 Posts
I know its the ruger forum and all but the 28 is a terrific firearm. Its hard ti beat a big N frame 357magnum revolver, and the ruger isnt the one to beat it.
Why Im voting 28? For one, for your purposes size and weight are not an issue
Two, the N frame with a 357mag cartridge is going to be as strong as the ruger. Yes it will.
Three. The aftermarket options for the S&W are numerous, everything from stocks to sights, internals like springs and things.
Four. The Smith is very tunable. You cant tune a fish but you can tune a Smith.
Five. The 28, especially with a 4" barrel, is a gorgeous girearm. The most beautiful handgun EVER made is a 3.5" model27 and everybody knows it. Not even a Python can compete with that and python owners know it too but cant say it out loud, and a 4" 28 (if thats what it is) is right close in appearance.
So thats why I voted 28.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've owned both, and the 28 was just enough larger than the 6, to make it a bit awkward, and thus, harder to shoot, especially in PPC matches. Hand size, and even body size has a lot to do with the shootability of any gun. The 28 trigger was slightly better than the 6, but the 6 still shot very well. My 6 has over 110,000 rounds through it, 90% target loads. The 28 went in less than a year, I had the 6 for 48 years until it was stolen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am going to buy a revolver and I've narrowed my choices to either a s&w 28 or a ruger security 6. Both are nearly the same price, age, and condition. The ruger might be a little less worn. It'll be a shooter, range time and also probably home defense. Which would you choose and why?
I own both Smith and Security Six revolvers. Go with the Security Six. It will outlast the Smith. As good as the model 28 is, the Security Six beat all the competition in the 60s when the Border Patrol ran endurance tests on different makes of .357 revovlers. The Smith gave out at 14k rounds or so, they stopped testing the Security Six after 28k rounds without a hiccup, as I recall reading. .

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've owned both, and the 28 was just enough larger than the 6, to make it a bit awkward, and thus, harder to shoot, especially in PPC matches. Hand size, and even body size has a lot to do with the shootability of any gun. The 28 trigger was slightly better than the 6, but the 6 still shot very well. My 6 has over 110,000 rounds through it, 90% target loads. The 28 went in less than a year, I had the 6 for 48 years until it was stolen.
Amen. You just made my point. The Security Six rocks!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I own both Smith and Security Six revolvers. Go with the Security Six. It will outlast the Smith. As good as the model 28 is, the Security Six beat all the competition in the 60s when the Border Patrol ran endurance tests on different makes of .357 revovlers. The Smith gave out at 14k rounds or so, they stopped testing the Security Six after 28k rounds without a hiccup, as I recall reading. .
They will both outlast the owner.
I wonder how many local, county, state and federal LEOs used Security Sixes, vs. how many used S&W revolvers ?
A good bet that 99.9 % carried the S&W.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The BP conducted the 357 tests with the Ruger and the Smith and Wesson model 66.
Not the 28, Totally different animal.
And it was 1980/81, not "in the 60's".

21 - 40 of 63 Posts