Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LGS has a black SR22 with Crimson Trace light installed, NIB for $381. That seems like an outstanding price considering the light normally retails in the $110 or $120 range. Frankly, I have no need to run the light on the .22 pistol, as I keep my SR9c for home defense / carry purposes. I have been wanting a good light for the SR9c so I would install it on that.

Now for the dilemma: The new 4.5 bll SR22 that came out. I'm interested in becoming a more accurate pistol shooter.

I did rent an SR22 for the range, and I was shooting that pistol WAY better than the SR9c Ive had for two years. I think that it's just the grip fits my hand like a glove. For a guy, I have small hands. But I was on target and easily making 2 1/2" groups at 7 yards with relative speed. I've never done that with my SR9c I don't know why....but the sight picture on the SR22 was considerably better for me. The dots seem bigger/ more visible on the SR22 than my SR9.

Maybe I am overthinking this whole thing, but I really enjoyed the SR22 and how well I was shooting it. I've always struggled with the front sight post visibility on the SR9.

Sorry if this post is all over the place. Here's my question: As a new(ish) shooter with about 3 yrs of experience. Do you think the 4.5' barrel will help my accuracy considerably over the 3.5 barrel?

Can any of you provide some feedback on why I might have been shooting the SR22 so much better than my SR9C?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After re-reading my own post, I realize that none of my thoughts were coherent.

So the question really is: does anyone think that the additional 1" barrel length will be noticeable for me, as a newish shooter?

Or, should I jump on that bargain price SR22 with the light? I was needing/wanting a light for my SR9c anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bummer. No interest in my post I guess. I've read many of the threads about the SR22 vs. the 22/45 Lite....and have many of those conflicts about those two pistols too. I guess for me, I really prefer the simplicity of the SR22 field strip. I'm certain that the takedown process for the 22/45 would be too frustrating for me.....and I'm not too interested in heavy modifications to a new pistol to avoid that experience. Maybe it's easier than I am making it out to be.

At any rate, I would also be open to hearing thoughts on the cost and procedure for kits to improve the takedown of the 22/45. I'm still keeping that pistol as a possibility. Everyone says it's a more accurate gun with a better sight picture and trigger. I like to keep my guns cleaned regularly though, so I don't want that to be an intimidating task.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a SR9c, my carry gun and a SR22. I love em both. The SR22 is really fun to shoot and the ammo is less expensive. But if you want to improve your accuracy w/the SR9c, shoot it often. The more you shoot it the better your accuracy will be. As far a purchasing the SR22 w/the Crimson Trace, I think the price is good. It's a great little gun and fun, fun, fun. It doesn't care what ammo you shoot, it'll eat it all w/no problems. That's my take.

·
Viceroy 🟩🟩🟩
3,251 Posts
I will note that the general functionality of an 22/45 or Mark III is more along the lines of your SR9, i.e. safety on vs. off direction and consistent trigger pull as opposed to the DA/SA action. Maybe something to consider.

I would not get freaked out about disassembling a 22/45. I never found it to be a problem.

Maybe a Mark III hunter model or something? Very good sights on those.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. The more research of the takedown on 22/45 that I do, the less intimidating it has become. I'm sort of enamored with the looks of the Lite model, and really enjoy a red dot sight on my 10/22 Takedown, so that's beginning to appeal to me.

For some reason the reverse direction of the SR22 safety doesn't bother me that much. Right now, I'm not prioritizing training for Self defense all that high. I'm still not comfortable with concealed carry, although I have my CC permit. In South Dakota, why not get the permit? I think it was $15 and a couple day wait to find out the check was complete....and done. No class, no test, no hassle.

I also like the 22/45 as a pistol my wife and I could share for cheaper shooting. She's got a Commander size 1911, and the platform/ergos of this would transfer over pretty well I think.

I really think the SR22 is a great little gun. I shot it well. Maybe I'll have to go rent a 22/45 to make the decision before buying.

More input is great, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
112 Posts
i have the sr22, my brother the 22/45. i like 22s. he likes 45s. i fastidiously clean my pieces after each shooting session. he not so much. i absolutely love the sr22, which seems to be a better all around plinker. the 22/45 seems to be an understudy for a 1911 45. that said my love of 22s is having me lean to get a 22/45 and install a takedown kit, red dot optic, etc. do i too am interested in learning more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jstert: it's a hard decision. The SR22 was a blast to shoot, and it shocked me how accurately I shot with it for my first run of 50 rounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have both the original 3.5" SR22P and the original gold 22/45 Lite. If I was to choose one 22 cal gun of the three: the 3.5" SR22, the 4.5", or the 22/45 Lite, considering accuracy and ease of shooting tight groups, resulting in my overall satisfaction (i.e. not thinking about the other one I did not purchase for a while) and fun factor, I would go with a 22/45 Lite. It would be an easy decision for me.

The 22/45 Lite is so much more accurate and comfortable to grip and hold for me than the SR22. And there is so much more that can be added or modified to the 22/45 Lite to make it even more accurate (and fun to shoot).

I have added the Bushnell TRS-25 red dot (69.99 at Cabellas now), the Volquartsen trigger kit, new target grip panels from Majestic Arms, rubbery Pearce finger groove grips on the front of the grip, the TK slingshot mod, the mag bushing change, the TK extended mag, etc., etc.

The thing about 22/45 mods is - they are numerous, they are available, you can do them as you want to and when you want to, as you don't need to do them all at once. Shoot the gun as it comes out of the box for a while.

But mods are available for the 22/45. All I did to the SR22 is to replace the front sight with a Hi-Viz fiber optic sight, and replace the plastic recoil rod. Not much can be done to improve the trigger, kind of stuck with that (absolutely no comparison to a fine Volquartsen trigger and Ruger's SR22 trigger). You can add some grip tape to the SR22 grips and do the TK mag extension (losing the mag loading button), but that won't affect groups or accuracy much for me.

My opinion if I had to choose one, then it would be a 22/45.

·
AT1(AW)
1,234 Posts
I have and SR22 and a 22/45. I enjoy shooting them both, they are both very comfortable and fun, the 22/45 is getting easier to clean. There are some after market parts to make the assembly easier but mine are all stock.

I'm with gawgt if it could only be one, then the 22/45.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the 3.5" vs. a 4.5" SR22 comparison, I'm waiting for someone who owns both to compare the sensitivity of ammo selection with each. My 3.5" SR22P just does not like anything with the name Winchester on the box (includes Super-X, M22, Wildcat, bulk 333, etc.), but likes CCI and Federal and Rem. Golden Bullets. The 22/45 does not have the Winchester issue like an SR22 does.

Unfortunately, the stores near me seem to have a lot of Winchester available for hv 22 ammo. I am wondering how the longer barrel with longer slide but the same recoil rod & spring handle ammo like Winchester. My guess is that the sensitivity will be the same for the 4.5". Winchester seems to have thinner brass cases than other brands, as I can see that the flat case face is dome-shaped after firing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For the 3.5" vs. a 4.5" SR22 comparison, I'm waiting for someone who owns both to compare the sensitivity of ammo selection with each. My 3.5" SR22P just does not like anything with the name Winchester on the box (includes Super-X, M22, Wildcat, bulk 333, etc.), but likes CCI and Federal and Rem. Golden Bullets. The 22/45 does not have the Winchester issue like an SR22 does.

Unfortunately, the stores near me seem to have a lot of Winchester available for hv 22 ammo. I am wondering how the longer barrel with longer slide but the same recoil rod & spring handle ammo like Winchester. My guess is that the sensitivity will be the same for the 4.5". Winchester seems to have thinner brass cases than other brands, as I can see that the flat case face is dome-shaped after firing.
I bought a MK III 22/45 target but was an expensive mistake. It caused me to want a real 1911. I got a full size 1911 in 9mm and it ruined me. I love to shoot it and the 22/45. They feel, aim and shoot almost the same (with 9mm recoil). Neither one is hard to field strip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nDefvB1Io

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the additional input. My reference point for field stripping this pistol is that it is a LOT more involved than my SR9c or an SR22. While I haven't done the field strip on a 22/45 myself - it's clearly a much more involved process than those two. Fortunately, if I decide on the 22/45 Lite, I at least know what I'm getting into and would hopefully become intimately familiar with it based on these video tips before diving into one.

With all folks who own both pistols weighing in for the 22/45........you all have me leaning in that direction now.

I already have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on my 10/22, and love it. That sounds like a good compliment to this pistol.

How does the STOCK 22/45 trigger compare to the SR22? I used a rental SR22, which might have had a lot of rounds through it.....but that one was pretty smooth. I think it was much better than the trigger on my SR9. My SR9 is still really heavy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The stock 22/45 trigger is better than the SR22 trigger. An option that I use when trying to decide on a gun is to rent first. A range in my area offers a rental of $15 for all the guns you want to try, just buy their ammo, and they have a large selection of rentals. I did an SR22 vs. their M&P 22 Compact comparison last month.

Regarding field stripping a stock 22/45 - I also have a Mark III, had it for several years, and the Mark III is more difficult to take the barrel off the frame and to put the barrel back on - still takes a couple pops with a rubber mallet - than the 22/45. The polymer frame of a 22/45 attaches to the barrel easy without a mallet, just put the muzzle down on a piece of carpet I use on the table to clean guns, and press down on the grip, and the barrel pops onto the frame. Polymer is easy compared to the steel against steel of a Mark III.

Still need to do an insert of the mag at various times. Thus we have the 22/45 bushing mod available. It is an easy process to field strip a 22/45 after you have done it once, and there are the Youtube vids for that first time. I would not let that strip get in the way of buying one for anybody.

I see using my SR22 as a personal challenge, where I try to shoot the SR22 as accurately as my other 22's. But if owning only one (SR22 vs. 22/45), I would go for a 22/45.

·
Banned
3,356 Posts
I like the feel and fit of my SR22, 22/45 Lite, and my Mark III Hunter. The fun factory for me is the SR22, and the 22/45 Lite for the weight and ease of use.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I ended up with the SR for a 22 pistol to complement my 10/22. Here are a few of the reasons that I chose the SR....

1. It fit my hand well. I have large hands and was surprised how well the SR fit my hand. I have 1911's so the 22/45 was the easy choice but with the large grip on the SR, it fit well. I also have the option of switching grips quickly and easily. My wife likes the smaller grip and it will probably be good for kids etc...

2. Sling shot reload when changing magazines.

3. Drop free magazines. Not huge but all my other pistols drop the mag. when I hit the release.

4. Easy field strip.....to a point at least. It is easy to break the gun down to do a general cleaning but if you get into the trigger group, it gets more complicated. Very few mods though.

5. Without a laser, it will fit in my Glock 26 and 43 holsters. With a laser, I found and inexpensive Blackhawk that works well. It's smaller and easy to carry.

6. Accessory rail for laser etc...

7. Two magazines and threaded adapter come with it. The gun is light and I'm going to add a compensator/flash suppressor/muzzle weight to see if it changes its shooting characteristics. Nice to have the option to take it to a heavier gun.....we'll see.

8. Can be dry fired as much as I like (so can the 22/45 but I like this feature in a 22)

I guess that's a few of the reasons for the SR. The trigger is not target grade but don't judge it at the store. It does improve with use and both the single and double actions are predictable and easy to get used to. I thought that the "backward" safety may take some getting used to but it really isn't an issue. On the plus side a young or inexperienced shooters hands are strongest when closing the hand. The safety also acts as a decocker and it has a stiffer motion when decocking(pushing down) than when deactivating the safety. A young person or someone with less hand strength more than likely will not have to move thier hand to use the decocker. Probably a good thing on a gun that will more than likely be used by first time shooters.

HTH, Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you all have me heavily weighted toward the 22/45 Lite at this point. I have my challenging pistol to shoot - for me the SR9c. It has a heavy trigger pull and I really struggle with the sights.

I agree that renting the 22/45 is a must before purchase. I already rented the SR22 and was having a blast. I shot it much better than the SR9c. I think primarily the lighter trigger pull in SA mode and for whatever reason the sight picture was more clear for me. Oh and the grip was just right. (Actually now that I type that out --- that makes for a pretty good combination of three primary features for shooting a pistol well, huh?)

Will rent the 22/45 and SR22 side by side the next time I am at the range and let that be the definitive decision.

Really thankful for forums like this one to aid in decisions. It helps tremendously to hear from folks who own or have at least used both pistols. Overwhelmingly people are saying if it can only be one....then it's the 22/45. Gotta go test it out for myself. I guess if it doesn't fit my hand or have a clear sight picture for me then I already know how much I liked the SR22.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up with the SR for a 22 pistol to complement my 10/22. Here are a few of the reasons that I chose the SR....

1. It fit my hand well. I have large hands and was surprised how well the SR fit my hand. I have 1911's so the 22/45 was the easy choice but with the large grip on the SR, it fit well. I also have the option of switching grips quickly and easily. My wife likes the smaller grip and it will probably be good for kids etc...

2. Sling shot reload when changing magazines.

3. Drop free magazines. Not huge but all my other pistols drop the mag. when I hit the release.

4. Easy field strip.....to a point at least. It is easy to break the gun down to do a general cleaning but if you get into the trigger group, it gets more complicated. Very few mods though.

5. Without a laser, it will fit in my Glock 26 and 43 holsters. With a laser, I found and inexpensive Blackhawk that works well. It's smaller and easy to carry.

6. Accessory rail for laser etc...

7. Two magazines and threaded adapter come with it. The gun is light and I'm going to add a compensator/flash suppressor/muzzle weight to see if it changes its shooting characteristics. Nice to have the option to take it to a heavier gun.....we'll see.

8. Can be dry fired as much as I like (so can the 22/45 but I like this feature in a 22)

I guess that's a few of the reasons for the SR. The trigger is not target grade but don't judge it at the store. It does improve with use and both the single and double actions are predictable and easy to get used to. I thought that the "backward" safety may take some getting used to but it really isn't an issue. On the plus side a young or inexperienced shooters hands are strongest when closing the hand. The safety also acts as a decocker and it has a stiffer motion when decocking(pushing down) than when deactivating the safety. A young person or someone with less hand strength more than likely will not have to move thier hand to use the decocker. Probably a good thing on a gun that will more than likely be used by first time shooters.

HTH, Scott
Scott, thanks for the contrasting view. Funny, I thought because I have smallish hands for a guy that was the reason the SR22 fit me so well. I'm not even sure which grip the range had on that rental to be honest. Maybe it was because it had a larger grip on it that I liked it better.

I don't find myself using the manual safety. I guess it's because I don't currently carry either of my pistols. I guess if I ever make the decision to conceal carry then I better train with them the way I will carry.

My wife and I will be sharing this .22, and her primary is a 1911 S&W Commander size. I think that the 22/45 would transfer over pretty well to her...and as mentioned by another member for me on the SR9c.

I just looked on the website for my local indoor range, and they also rent the 22/45 Lite.......so a head to head comparison some day will probably make the decision. Love all the feedback as it helps me weigh the pros /cons that I would not have considered on my own.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ok, the way I see it opinions are like belly buttons,,,, everyone has one. So here's mine, I just like the way the sr22 felt in my hand. Not that the 22/45 felt bad, just not as good as the sr22. I really like that sr22.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I did rent an SR22 for the range, and I was shooting that pistol WAY better than the SR9c Ive had for two years. I think that it's just the grip fits my hand like a glove. For a guy, I have small hands. But I was on target and easily making 2 1/2" groups at 7 yards with relative speed. I've never done that with my SR9c I don't know why....but the sight picture on the SR22 was considerably better for me. The dots seem bigger/ more visible on the SR22 than my SR9.

Maybe I am overthinking this whole thing, but I really enjoyed the SR22 and how well I was shooting it. I've always struggled with the front sight post visibility on the SR9.
The SR22 was a blast to shoot, and it shocked me how accurately I shot with it for my first run of 50 rounds.
The right gun seems to have already found you...the SR22.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts