Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
quote:Originally posted by Heavy J

Well,........today me and my new (to me) Ruger P97 that I paid $250.00 for got busy. I put alot of lead down range. After about 150 rounds the magazine would not stay in the pistol. I pull the triger and the gun goes "BOOM" the mag would hit the dirt. I thought some how I was hitting the mag release but I checked it and I was not hitting the mag release. I gave the gun over to my friend and he shot it and the same thing would happen to him, after every shot the mag would release. We took it into the house and sat at the dinner table with the gun trying to figure out the problem. I grabbed the box and was look at the instruction book and found a plastic bag with 4 mag release buttons and 4 springs. This tells me someone had a problem with the mag release. Has anyone had a problem like this before?? What can I do to fix the problem and what is the problem?? Any help would be nice. I really like the way this Ruger shots, feels, and looks...But I need a pistol thay works. My friend was surprized that a Ruger was doing this due to he has had Rugers before and he states that they are a solid weapon.
This is what I posted over at "Ruger Pistols" on this forum. I should have posted here, I'm sorry. I have a couple of guys that has already gave me some ideas. What I have found is that what looks like to me that the mag spring got weak and pulled itself out of a hole on the right side of the frame. Is this where the sring goes on the frame?? I replaced the old spring with one of the new springs that I found in the envelope with the instruction book,and put it where I think it goes (the small hole) on the right side of the frame. It seems to work, and the mag release seems to be stiffer. But, before I test fire this puppy I need to know if this is where the spring goes. NEXT.... Does anyone know if this is an on going problem with the P97, why would the spring have gotten weak so fast and why would there be extras in a plastic bag. Please forgive me I'm new when it come to Rugers, I'm a Glock man but want to be a Ruger man as well.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Heavy, that is not a regular P97 problem. Iowegan might have some ideas, but a trip back to Ruger might be in order. They are good to repair defective guns.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the weapon needs to go back to Ruger, what is the process in doing that?? Also an aprrox. cost in all of the process??

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,369 Posts
I suspect your gun was subjected to "Rambo" techniques of slamming the magazine in real hard. If replacing the spring doesn't fix it, it probably needs a new magazine latch and possibly new magazines.

Yes, you can expect the mag latch to be much stiffer with the new spring. Check your magazines for wear. There is a notch where the mag latch snaps in to the magazine. If the magazine has been abused, the notch will be rounded instead of a sharp edge.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mags look good, as a matter of fact, one mag is brand new, never used. Other one was lost in a gun show travel and was replaced with brand new one (with an orange sticker). I'm hoping the new spring will do the trick, looks like the part that goes in the hole (if it's really goes there) should be a little longer. If that is the reason it is coming out it might stay in better if longer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts