Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruger fans...a friend has offered to sell a "stainless single six, plastic grips, with very little wear made in the 50's or 60's". I've already got a nice old 3 screw SS, but am thinking about getting this for my grandson, since the price seems very fair ($275). I'm assuming no box, but that's ok.
What should I be looking for to make sure it's ok? Is the quoted price ok? I took a look at Ruger's website and found that they made aluminum framed SS's???
I'm a new member here, and have really enjoyed all the great info. Thanks for any comments/input.

Kcace

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,479 Posts
Ruger never made a 3-screw Single-Six in stainless steel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Iowegan - after looking at the ruger.com site, I suspect it's an aluminum frame, not stainless. If so, what are the top 2 or 3 things to look at to make sure it's ok? The things I would look at would be...
- making sure both cylinders fit/function ok
- trigger and hammer work correctly
- bore is clean/bright
- finish blemishes

If it actually is an aluminum frame 3 screw, is $275 a fair price? thanks again for your commments.

Kcace

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,479 Posts
kcace, Aluminum frame Single-Sixes were called "Lightweights" and were made from 1956~1959. Only 12,500 were made so considering the low production numbers and age, these guns bring quite a premium. $275 would be a steal, assuming the gun was in decent condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, Iowegan. I'll let you know what it is when I finally get to see it in a few days. I notice by your post that you're in Blair NE. My wife and I grew up in Omaha and get back there a few times a year. Hope you're doing ok in all the lousy weather lately.

Kcace

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Most blued Ruger single-actions have aluminum grip frames, if that tells you anything. The main frames are steel.

There are a few blued single-actions that have steel grip frames, like the square-back trigger guard Super Blackhawks and a couple of others.

There are stainless steel New Model single actions, but not Old Model three-screws as IOWEGAN points out.

:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts