Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am looking for advice on my first ruger... I am reading a lot left and right and there is so much info that I am drowning... I am new to firearm none of my friends or family can give me advice. As I say I am looking to buy a ruger 10/22 but I don't understand the difference between the Ruger Tactical , the Vleh and the Target. I just don't get the difference. I am looking to do target shooting and learn how to shoot with this gun. Thank you very much .....

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
A big welcome to the forum from Wisconsin!!

Don't worry. Start simple with basic 10/22. Learn the mechanics of shooting and then customize. That is the great thing with the 10/22 with all of the stocks, trigger groups, and barrels etc available.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
Welcome from Brooklyn, NY.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA!

·
AT1(AW)
1,234 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NW Ohio, and I have to agree with MeagerHair. Start with the simple 10/22, I was going to to the dressing out of my 10/22 and never did, its fun and at 100 yards I'm happy with it stock, for now....

·
Pony Soldier
8,641 Posts
Greetings from Nebraska.
Agree, you won't go wrong with a basic 10/22.
You can learn and enjoy it, and then consider your next upgrade!!

Greg

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Central PA.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Welcome from Florida

You can't beat the price for a 10/22. It's a great rifle and an easy way to learn about upgrades or modifications you might like.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Welcome !

Don't stress too much about the flavor of a 10/22.

I would suggest a Sporter model to get a decent sized stock and iron sights.

Of ALL the semi-auto .22 rimfire rifles on the market the 10/22 stands head and shoulders over the rest. They are simple, reliable, durable and accurate. Buy a basic model and learn to shoot it.
After you've been in the 10/22 game a while you realize that what you're really buying is a receiver. Just about everything else can be swapped out. Avoid changing anything on your rifle at first. Shoot it. Get to know it. Bond with it.

Later........much later...if you want to change something, you can. Frankly the more you shoot a stock one the more you realize that it's fine the way it is. If you get to the point that you are better than the rifle then you can start modifying it to take it to the next level. Cross that bridge when you come to it.

A few things that new users sometimes miss:
The stock 10 round magazine is WAY, WAY, WAY better than you think. They almost never fail.
Every .22 rimfire rifle will show a preference for one type and brand of ammo. Find what your rifle likes and you can shrink your groups. Once you find that best ammo, buy a lot of it and never look back.
Heavy barrels look cool and help with a steady hold but the stock barrel is pretty good. The way the chamber is cut helps a lot and some barrels have better chambers than others.
The trigger group on a 10/22 can be improved but again, the stock one works just fine.
If you get to the point that you think the trigger is holding you back you can address that issue.

Bottom Line - buy a basic model and learn how to shoot it.

Good Luck !

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum joker1979, im new to the forum myself and im enjoying all the info
as for your thinking about purchasing a 10/22 you wont be sorry, its a great rifle, i recently bought my second one after giving the one my dad bought in the 70s to my son. i dont know if you can wear one out. Mr. Ruger brought out the 10/22 in 1964 the same year my mom brought me out(coincidence i dont think so lol) buy one, shoot it, and have fun

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Welcome from Utah. You will be happy with the 10/22. You have received a bunch of very good advice. Just enjoy the gun.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.