Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a SR9 stainless last week and put 200 rounds through it a couple of days ago. Before firing, I cleaned and lubed the gun. The mag release was stiff but seemed to loosen up toward the end of the shoot. After shooting, I field stripped and cleaned the gun. Now, the mag release is very difficult to work and actually clicks in and out, similar to the feel of the safety. I have not disassembled anything other than the doing a basic fieldstrip for cleaning. Have I done something wrong? Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
see I have the same problem (lefty) but someone told me it should loosen up after a while...but my mag release is not real hard to press, but its harder that other guns tho..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called Ruger this afternoon and they offered to send me a new release mechanism. After a little discussion the lady took my name and number and said that a technician would call me. Maybe the tech will call with some advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How long before You had a problem? I shoot Mine for the first time tonight but had no problems. I want to keep up on any problems. Was Your 9 a new or older one[last year]?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran into the problem after 200 rounds on the first shoot. I was preparing to shoot again today and noticed the difficulty with the mag release. My gun left the factory 1/24/08. I really like the gun. Hope I don't have to pay to send it to Ruger and not get it back for 60-90 days.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does it really take that long to get the firearm back from Ruger??
I don't know how long it takes. I spoke with Ruger today and they are sending a whole new mag release mechanism, free of charge. They briefly described disassembly and replacement and offered to provide live step-by-step assistance next week when it is supposed to arrive. Shouldn't be a major gunsmithing job to replace. Great service and help from the factory.

I've been wondering if something (metal shaving or burr) might not have jarred loose and is hanging up somewhere in the mechanism.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
That's cool, biologicole. If you think of it, you should type out that step by step replacement here on the forum so if someone has the same problem they might come across it with a search.

For the record, my SR9 mag release was quite stiff just at the beginning. But very quickly loosened up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts