Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently purchased my first 10/22 rifle. I am NOT impressed. A little background:

Approx 3 months ago, I picked up a 10/22 sporter 18" for my wife. She's brand new to shooting. After swapping out the factory wood stock, that had too long a pull for her, with a plastic ATI strike force, and dropping a Leupold 3-9X40mm scope on it - she is able to put 25 rnds thru a 1-1.5 hole at 50 yards (rapid fire). Totally stock rifle in every other way, with the exception of a trigger over travel stop screw I added to the rear of the trigger guard. Nice and accurate, what I would expect out of a quality .22, esp shooting federal bulk .36g bulk hollow points..

Now then.. With all that said, I purchased an identical model of rifle, mine had the synthetic yukky stock. I set mine up the same as hers, ATI stock, trigger stop screw, except I chose a Tasco 6-24X42mm scope. Best I can do is 3.5" at 50 yards. Now, this is a brand new rifle, with brand new barrel, not sure how much effect that’s having. About 300 rounds thru it so far. I have since started modifying her original wooden stock to use on my rifle: free float the barrel, and possibly bed the receiver and barrel (the first 3 or so inches of it at the bore end). I even tried some CCI segmented (same results as fed bulk).

Anyone have any idea why the huge diff in accuracy between these two identical models? I have been shooting for most of my adult life, and am ex-military... I know how to shoot.. Its very dis-heartening that things are going so poorly.. At some point, I will look for an after market trigger and bull barrel, but for now, I have a larger amount of time than money...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Chris

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
far from an expert here, but how have you gone about sighting the two rifles in? i'm a bit of a novice, but so far most of my accuracy issues have centered around an improperly sighted or mounted scope. once i figure out where i'm off, i can usually compensate and get accuracy, but that's just making allowances for a misaligned/mismounted scope. possibly same problem on your end??

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm not an expert either but you say everthing is same except scope. Maybe its the Tasco. or its mounts?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Leupold vs Tasco...I'd bet the lower end scope may be the problem, although I've had a few Tascos that were surprisingly accurate. But I've shot others where the internals where so sloppy any power change would through my shots/groups way off. Just my .02 worth! Good luck!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
far from an expert here, but how have you gone about sighting the two rifles in? i'm a bit of a novice, but so far most of my accuracy issues have centered around an improperly sighted or mounted scope. once i figure out where i'm off, i can usually compensate and get accuracy, but that's just making allowances for a misaligned/mismounted scope. possibly same problem on your end??
arg0naut22: not sure I understand what your saying? Both scopes are mounted using the same rings, bore sighted with a lazer bore-sighter, then fine tuned on the range.. I would think that if one was off due to something I've done, they'd both be off?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'd start with the obvious - scope mount/rings and make sure everything is tight. If that checks out and you have another scope, I'd try another scope, though the odds of it being a scope problem are fairly low, but it does happen.

If that isn't it, I'd turn to the stock. Does your synthetic have a barrel band? On my carbine with the barrel band, I have to keep it just tight enough to keep from slipping off, but no tighter than that. Too tight and accuracy suffers. In fact, I know some shooters that leave it off, altogether. Serves no real purpose other than looks.

Same with the action screw. Too tight or too loose and accuracy can also suffers a bit. I usually tighten just enough to keep things from rattling on all my 10/22s.

The barrel can also be loose in the wedge.

Let us know how things progress for you and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
- she is able to put 25 rnds thru a 1-1.5 hole at 50 yards (rapid fire)
Seems obvious....let your wife shoot it..............I'm sorry I couldn't help myself :)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I'd start with the obvious - scope mount/rings and make sure everything is tight. If that checks out and you have another scope, I'd try another scope, though the odds of it being a scope problem are fairly low, but it does happen.

If that isn't it, I'd turn to the stock. Does your synthetic have a barrel band? On my carbine with the barrel band, I have to keep it just tight enough to keep from slipping off, but no tighter than that. Too tight and accuracy suffers. In fact, I know some shooters that leave it off, altogether. Serves no real purpose other than looks.

Same with the action screw. Too tight or too loose and accuracy can also suffers a bit. I usually tighten just enough to keep things from rattling on all my 10/22s.

The barrel can also be loose in the wedge.

Let us know how things progress for you and good luck.
what she said... especially with the scope mount and rings, i've had everything go kafluey when screws were even a little bit untight. had that very problem with my 10/22 takedown yesterday. everything was low and right.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Seems obvious....let your wife shoot it..............I'm sorry I couldn't help myself :)
No, actually, that's an excellent point. The OP said she is able to shoot 1.5 inch groups with her rifle while he is getting 3.5 inch groups with his. Seriously, try having her shoot it and see if she does better.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife liked your post SilverRider..lol As far as the stock: no barrel band, the ATI does have a top cover, but it doesnt touch the barel that I can tell. I also shot it with the Ruger factory wooden stock minus the barrel band.. no change.. I just rechecked the v-block screws, one was slightly looser than the other, but I dont think enough to cause the wildly random shooting I'm getting..

The scope couldnt really be that bad at 50 yards, could it? Next trip to the range, I'm gonna get my wife to shoot my rifle, see if its me sucking..lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
try see if theres anything loose on the mounts or the rail on the receiver,if there is nothing loose take your wifes scope and mounts off her rifle and put them onto your gun,if it groups well your tasco is the problem,also check the trigger pull on both guns mine has a 4lb pull my mates is near 8lbs i get much better groups with mine.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
My wife liked your post SilverRider..lol As far as the stock: no barrel band, the ATI does have a top cover, but it doesnt touch the barel that I can tell. I also shot it with the Ruger factory wooden stock minus the barrel band.. no change.. I just rechecked the v-block screws, one was slightly looser than the other, but I dont think enough to cause the wildly random shooting I'm getting..

The scope couldnt really be that bad at 50 yards, could it? Next trip to the range, I'm gonna get my wife to shoot my rifle, see if its me sucking..lol
just bear in mind that if you're tightening or loosening anything you're going to need to bore/laser sight it in all over again. my regular 10/22 is laser sighted for 50 and i was able to fine tune it. having all sorts of issues with my takedown. both my scopes are cheap-- one is a cheap burris, the other is a tasco.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
we both have simair stock 2-tonne trigger pulls, for now..lol they feel the same to my finger...

·
Registered
210 Posts
dont get your wife to shoot it to see if its you sucking!!if it is you she will never let you forget it!!:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha! Jake, she's allready convinced she's better..lol

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Oh, yeah, it definitely can. All it takes is a tap or bump on the scope when something is loose inside to send a flyer off the paper. Have had it happen even at 50 feet with a bad pistol scope. Forgot to mention, too, that you may be having some parallax issues, as well. if you're using a big game scope without an AO. If that Tasco is such a beast, take a bit of care to line up your eye directly behind the scope and keep the crosshairs in the center.

·
Registered
210 Posts
both our guns were stock aswell,his felt a littleheavier than mine but i never guessed it was 4lbs heavier,also the scope could suck that bad at 50yrds if its defective!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm hoping that I can make a custom target stock out of the factory ruger wood stock.. added a but pad, removed the part of the stock the barrel band slid over, and if I can work up the nerve, bed the action... Then re-finnish it all smexy..lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
that is a good fun project i reworked mine badly,but enjoyed the project,espeicially winning a comp,with the stock i reworked and my totally stock gun apart from an auto bolt release against guys using semi custom kidd guns!

·
Registered
210 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts