Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped my SR 40 for cleaning, reassembled and dry fired 3 times to make sure it worked. Racked slide, pulled trigger clicked. Repeated 2 more times. Same results.
Took it out the next week and when I inserted a loaded mag, sling shot the slide and it hangs up a little. In a brain dead stupor I don't look, I just tap the back of slide to close it and then try to rack it again like a tactica-cool fool. I can't move the slide an bit and the trigger is dead. Now here I am with a live round in my chamber and can't get it out. I finally got the slide to move 1/8 inch to the rear but no further. Can't send it in to Ruger until I get the round out. Never needed a gunsmith before but will they look at it with a round in the chamber?

I'm sure I've just got the RSA jammed up...as sure as I can be without getting it apart and looking. Any other ideas would be appreciated but I'd rather spend the money on the smith than spend hours jacking around with it only to be in the same spot but if anyone knows of a quick fix I'll try it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you tried gripping the slide from the top with your weak hand and then driving your strong hand into the back of the grip? May want to put a leather glove on your weak hand. I have had several pistols lock up on me like this in the past, usually from an out of spec reload. I’ve always been able to clear them using this method. Remember safety is always paramount. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you put the recoil spring assembly in BACKWARDS? It's possible, and it locks up the gun totally. Ask me how I know! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Because I did it, once, when I first got it. Actually, it was my SR-45. I thought I had messed it up for good. Took me forever to get it back apart. :(

·
Registered
636 Posts
Put the edge of the front of the slide on something non-marring and push hard. It will usually go back.
Make sure the mag is out and keep the fingers away from the trigger.
I have done this with multiple brands of semi auto pistols.
You would be surprised at how many folks get a stuck slide.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I haven't replied back. Got in the middle of replying 4 hours ago then got interrupted and forgot to hit send.

Ok here goes all the replies.

835mag: thanks for the suggestion, tried it after you suggested but it didn't help.
gonerydin: with the SR40 and a few other Rugers after cleaning I reinsert the mags then dry fire, drop the mag rack the slide insert mag and repeat. The only ones I don't do it with are without the mag drop safeties.
Nomadic Paladin: yep always clean with the mags dropped.
Kreuzlover: That's a good question and as soon as I get it disassembled I'll let you know :).
dwarren123: I'll try that again when I get back. I wasn't really jamming all my weight into it but what's it going to hurt?

Thanks and sorry to have ghosted everyone.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Have you resolved the problem yet?

I actually got my SR40 out broke it down/reassembled it several times. Don't know if it is good or bad, but I could not duplicate your issue. Sorry I cannot offer any advice, but still interested to find out what is going on with yours. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, haven't solved it yet.

After pushing it against a table and really laying into it and getting no where I stuck the slide into a vice and and only managed to push the 500 lb work bench back into the wall. Slide no move. I'm going to see if my LGS will take a look at it. Probably be a couple of months before I have time to take it down to them. A backyard gunsmith down the road wants nothing to do with it until I get the round out. Told him by that time I don't need you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First thing you should do when you get it back apart, is to remove that damn magazine safety! It's so easy to do. First thing I did on my SR-45, and then on my Sr-40. I HATE those things! Why I got rid of my Browning Hi-power so many years ago. If you lose the magazine, all you have is a CLUB. Ruger went with that silly idea on their latest .22 auto pistols. It's a really stupid idea. And please don't give me the old "if it saves one child, it's worth it" bull-crap! Keep your guns in a SAFE when not using them.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Been there, done that. Point it downrange, grip the slide very firmly and slam your hand into the grip. Might take a few tries to get the right combination.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't think I can get much more forceful than Sunday without busting something. Had the slide in a vise. Had 2 banker boxes full of magazines between the muzzle and the wall, pointed in a direction if it did make it through the boxes & wall it would have to get through 1/8 miles of dense trees before leaving the property. Then I took a block of 2×4 and set behind the grip and beat the hell out of it with a 3lb. hammer. No go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's been a few years since I jammed my SR-45 up, by putting the recoil spring assembly in backwards, but seems like I forcibly knocked out the disassembly pin from the right side, with a punch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a somewhat similar occurence. It was a high dollar custom gun. I used a musket leas bullet extractor, threaded the screw part into the bullet and yanked the bullet out of the chamber. Poured the powder out, and poured oil into the empty casing. It worked and I sent the gun in for repair. Might not be best choice, but after it not budging with a hammer. I had little choice.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a somewhat similar occurence. It was a high dollar custom gun. I used a musket leas bullet extractor, threaded the screw part into the bullet and yanked the bullet out of the chamber. Poured the powder out, and poured oil into the empty casing. It worked and I sent the gun in for repair. Might not be best choice, but after it not budging with a hammer. I had little choice.
High pucker factor but I was thinking same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts