Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 1x4 or 1x5 or 6 non illuminated scope in the $299.00 to 399.00 range. I have looked at the Leopold VX2. Help. I need suggestions. The gun is for self defense and some informal target shooting.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
In the 1-4x, you are pretty spoiled for choice. There is the Nikon Monarch, or Vortex Crossfire II, Burris, Bushnell, Millet, Leatherwood, all sorts of 1-4x scopes out there. Though that VX-2 is light! With rings it would hardly weigh more than the other scopes do bare.

For a 1-6 in that price range, I don't think there is anything besides the Vortex Strike Eagle or Primary Arms. Supposedly they are both made by Optisan, with the main differences being the reticle and who backs the warranty.

I will say, for the self-defense use, it does seem that a 1-4x scope, all else equal, will have a much larger eyebox on 1x than a 1-6x scope does. So if the extra magnification is not a big deal, that may be of interest.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Primary Arms sells a 1-4x scope for $119 that gets great reviews online. I'm very tempted to get one and try out, since my AR is just for target use and home defense if needed.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
Self defense where? Inside your home, or defending your property? Huge difference.

Also, at what distances will you be doing target shooting?

I'm just wondering if for the tasks you specify whether you might be better served by a red dot sight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Primary Arms sells a 1-4x scope for $119 that gets great reviews online. I'm very tempted to get one and try out, since my AR is just for target use and home defense if needed.
I have one of these on my AR and the only complaint I have is it is a heavy bugger. Other than that, it is nice and bright and looks awesome. For the price, I payed just above what you quote, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Self defense where? Inside your home, or defending your property? Huge difference.

Also, at what distances will you be doing target shooting?

I'm just wondering if for the tasks you specify whether you might be better served by a red dot sight.
I've been thinking that myself about the red dot. Most of my target shooting is up to 100 yards, nothing really more than that. Home defense I prefer handgun, so my AR would be more property defense or varment take down.

I could get a red dot and use my iron sights for distance........decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The Primary Arms house brand seems to get great reviews from pro reviewers like Military Arms Channel (aka Mac).

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I've been thinking that myself about the red dot. Most of my target shooting is up to 100 yards, nothing really more than that. Home defense I prefer handgun, so my AR would be more property defense or varment take down.

I could get a red dot and use my iron sights for distance........decisions, decisions.
Well, a nice red dot works well for hitting steel at 100 yards. So do iron sights. If you're looking to shoot groups on paper, then a magnified scope really helps.

For close distances, iron sights and red dots, and possibly a 1-4x or 1-5x scope will work.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well, a nice red dot works well for hitting steel at 100 yards. So do iron sights. If you're looking to shoot groups on paper, then a magnified scope really helps.

For close distances, iron sights and red dots, and possibly a 1-4x or 1-5x scope will work.
I'm leaning towards a Primary Arms 1-4x, low rings, and an add-on rail on my carry handle. That way I can still have the iron sights functional, and have the scope. I won't have to remove the carbine gas block since that's another added expense I don't want right now.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
823 Posts
I haven't had mine very long, but I like my Bushnell AR/223 Series 1-4X.

I found it on fleabay for around $150.00.

Aqualung

·
Registered
458 Posts
Not a whole lot of info on this one, but I have it on my Stag model 2, it is the Nikon P223 in 1.5-4.5x very handy little scope, light, and perfect close range and out to 200yds easy! Bdc goes to 600yds but have yet to attempt that.. Paid $180 for it ..$100 more will get you the m223 but I honestly couldn't see a $100 difference..

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
The Vortex Crossfire 2 1-4x is also an excellent scope however that one is needs 30mm scope rings. Great warranty with Vortex products

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not a whole lot of info on this one, but I have it on my Stag model 2, it is the Nikon P223 in 1.5-4.5x very handy little scope, light, and perfect close range and out to 200yds easy! Bdc goes to 600yds but have yet to attempt that.. Paid $180 for it ..$100 more will get you the m223 but I honestly couldn't see a $100 difference..
How does the scope do with the front carbine sight?
That's my concern with removing my carry handle and mounting on the flattop, the front carbine sight will be right in the line of sight, unless I get high enough mounts to clear it.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Aqualung,

Nice looking setup, but I have to ask. Have you ever hit yourself with scope when shooting?

We each have our preferences and that is what makes the AR platform great, but that is about the the furthest back I have every seen a scope mounted.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Aqualung,

Nice looking setup, but I have to ask. Have you ever hit yourself with scope when shooting?

We each have our preferences and that is what makes the AR platform great, but that is about the the furthest back I have every seen a scope mounted.

I agree, I would flip the mount around and move it forward, however if it's working and it's comfortable then there really is no wrong way.. Personally I like easy access to the charging handle.

·
Registered
458 Posts
How does the scope do with the front carbine sight?
That's my concern with removing my carry handle and mounting on the flattop, the front carbine sight will be right in the line of sight, unless I get high enough mounts to clear it.

I have the standard ar mount "high rise" set up, if you look closely it does not clear the front sight completely but somehow it does not interfere with the scope.. This scope is not a true 1x and I hear a lot of scopes claim to be true 1x but are not.. At first I was really hoping to co-witness to use irons as back up, but looking through the scope at 1.5x the front sight is not even visible.
For home defense the 1.5x power is low enough so I can walk around my house looking through it without running into walls or and stuff.. The 4.5x is strong enough to hit 100-200 yd targets easily. Another plus for me is how light this scope is.

Attachments

·
Rifleman
1,630 Posts
I have the illuminated AR223 Bushnell. Also not a true 1x. But close enough. Works at night, which is important for this rifle. Slight fish eye can be detected. Heavy!(18oz I think). This rifle is(was) pretty light otherwise(no forward assist, no dust cover, Daniel Defense pencil barrel, etc).

Really liked the 2x8 M223. Awesome glass. 2x works reasonably well for fast target acquisition. 8x is plenty when needed. Very light for what it is. Just no low-light performance.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have the standard ar mount "high rise" set up, if you look closely it does not clear the front sight completely but somehow it does not interfere with the scope.. This scope is not a true 1x and I hear a lot of scopes claim to be true 1x but are not.. At first I was really hoping to co-witness to use irons as back up, but looking through the scope at 1.5x the front sight is not even visible.
For home defense the 1.5x power is low enough so I can walk around my house looking through it without running into walls or and stuff.. The 4.5x is strong enough to hit 100-200 yd targets easily. Another plus for me is how light this scope is.
Right, the standard Nikon P-Series mounts.

There is a local guy selling a Nikon P-223 3x32 with the mounts, and I'm tempted but I think I want the variable power scope instead.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,711 Posts
MeagerHair, I was going to make the same exact comment. Here's where eye relief is optimum for my Nikon 3x32. A good 2" farther forward than Aqualung's mount.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts