Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked & searched high & low on how to use the dust cover on my new 556. It stays open all the time unless I hold it closed. I haven't been out to fire it any; so could I be missing something there? :confused:

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
It sometimes needs significant pressure to close. Make sure the bolt is forward (chambered) and then close the cover. It should open when you pull the charging handle.

It may need a good smack... or perhaps it needs to be sent in for repair.

Do you have pics?

How about a knowledgeable friend who could assist you?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
When mine first came out of the box it was difficult to get it to latch closed. After I cleaned and lubed it, it did close. I pulled back the charging handle, and it opened as it should. After doing that a handful of times it worked fine. It may just be a little stiff when new.

If you just can't get it to work properly, I would call Ruger, but I would probably try to get them to send a replacement. Not sure if I would send the whole thing back just for that.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
I have looked & searched high & low on how to use the dust cover on my new 556. It stays open all the time unless I hold it closed. I haven't been out to fire it any; so could I be missing something there? :confused:
It is supposed to stay open unless you close and snap it shut. The cover has a spring to hold it open as the bolt goes back to push it open to eject an empty case. Make sure the rifle is unloaded, pull back the charging handle fully and release it to close the bolt, push up the cover and snap the cover shut. There is a small pin at the top of the cover that will hold it closed if you push the cover shut completely. If the pin is not working it could have some trash under it or it's just stiff and may need a drop of oil to loosen it up. It may take a small amount of force to close the cover a few times but it will loosen up.

You can take a flat head screwdriver and push the pin in to make sure it's working and to work the oil in and around the pin. It's located in the middle of the dust cover.

Also before you fire your new rifle, read your manual on cleaning and lubing and field strip it, clean it, lube it and reassemble it or you may have a very short first outing with your gun. Just because it's new does not mean it's clean and lubed properly. These rifles are made on and assembly line and in a hurry sometimes and things can get left undone. Doing a proper cleaning and lube will save you issues at the range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts