Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I m beginning to pick up an interest in rifles but am green in that area, what kind of rifles would you guys recommend to an amateur? thanks

Moved to Broad Rifle Discussion, RNettles 09-23-07

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Any quality bolt action or single shot rifle. They are simple, easy to understand, and reliable. If you have never shot many rifles I would start with a .22 and work my way up.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
+1. the .22 is always a good place to start. The ruger 10-22 is the most popular and durable trouble free semi on the market. Or you can go with the cz, ruger, marlin or ahost of others bolt actions if you would rather stay with that action type.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If your looking for a centerfire, the .223 sigle shot SBII Handi-Rifle by NEF are a good first gun...223 ammo is relativley cheap compared to most, and the guns are pretty acurate. Plus, they have a barrle accesory program to buy a barrel in just about any caliber you want for about $100. For a little bit more money Savages are great bolt guns for the money...Of course you can play the "For a little bit more money" game forever.

For target and Varmit the .223 is hard to beat. If it's for white tail sized critters, then you want something a wee bit bigger. Good Luck, let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
quote:Originally posted by EVL VIII

thanks for the recommendation guys. Any of you guys have the AR15s or M4s?
Yes, I have a couple of them. You know, it took me 20 years before I ever even considered an AR, so I am hesitant to recommend one for a first time rifle, but the more I think about it, if you don't want to start with a .22 rifle, they are pretty easy to learn to shoot well with, and seeing as how you don't have 20 years of other rifle experience messing you up with the ARs manual of arms, it might just be a good idea. The .223 is a very mild cartridge that should not induce the very bad habit of flinching, it is accurate in an AR platform as well. So, yes, I can and will recommend an AR for your first rifle, like I said, if you are dead set against a .22. I will always and forever say that for handguns or rifles, everybody should start with a good .22 and work their way up from there.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've shot M16s before, just never owned one i know there are differences but i think i should be able to handle it. Do you happen to have pics/specs on yours? You can also pm me if there are any info you wish to include such as price,etc. thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You didn’t mention what you are going to be using the rifle for; caliber and action is largely dependent on the intended use of the rifle.

What is its intended use?

·
Registered
758 Posts
For anything from prairie dogs to deer sized game, .243 is a great choice for an all around caliber. Combine that with a bolt action from any reputable manufacture and you have a hunting rifle that will serve you and your descendants well for many years. The refinements and prestige of your choice will only be limited by the amount of money you wish to spend.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If you are gonna hunt deer, I would suggest a larger caliber than .223. I know it can and has been done, but I honestly do not recommend it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

If you are gonna hunt deer, I would suggest a larger caliber than .223. I know it can and has been done, but I honestly do not recommend it.
thanks for the advice. i went to the range today and thanks to luck there was a guy with AR15. He let me shoot a couple of rounds and i love it. However, he told me to get 768 i think if i m not mistaken.
Does anyone know where i can get a pretty decent price for a Bushmaster AR15?

thanks for the info again guys, keep the advice coming :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts

thanks for the advice. i went to the range today and thanks to luck there was a guy with AR15. He let me shoot a couple of rounds and i love it. However, he told me to get 768 i think if i m not mistaken.

You sure he did not say 7.62? That is .308 in civilian ammo. I bought my Bushie for a tad over $800 plus tax. You can build you one at least a couple hundred dollors cheaper than that. It is not difficult. I would suggest you buy you a armorer's DVD and go from there. I bought my rifle kit from Del-Ton, and it comes with everything you need to build a rifle except the lower receiver. I bought my lower from Centerfire Systems. It is a Double Star. I have been completely happy with both guns. Here is my Bushie with DPMS heavy barrel, free float tube, extended charging handle, etc.

And here is the one I built. (I guess you could say I half built both of them, as I put the barrel and things on the Bushie.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah its prob 7.62 hahah, me and my forgetful mind. Gunman, those are nice rifles. When are you selling me one of those ??? Thanks for the info, this is good stuff, keep em coming.

By the way thanks for the pics, makes me want one now

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You sure he did not say 7.62? That is .308 in civilian ammo. I bought my Bushie for a tad over $800 plus tax. You can build you one at least a couple hundred dollors cheaper than that. It is not difficult. I would suggest you buy you a armorer's DVD and go from there. I bought my rifle kit from Del-Ton, and it comes with everything you need to build a rifle except the lower receiver. I bought my lower from Centerfire Systems. It is a Double Star. I have been completely happy with both guns. Here is my Bushie with DPMS heavy barrel, free float tube, extended charging handle, etc.

And here is the one I built. (I guess you could say I half built both of them, as I put the barrel and things on the Bushie.)
sent you a pm thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
There is no way you could go wrong with a good bolt action. You mentioned hunting. For deer a 243 Winchester or 260 Remington at a minimum. For anything larger you need a 30-06 class (270 Win, 280 Rem) or larger. You don't what to be under gunned with a .223. Even the 7.62X39 is underpowered. Part of hunting is being responsible for clean kills. The .223 and 7.62X39 might do well on human targets but a deer is harder to bring down than a man, adrenalin I guess. Very seldom will you get a second shot if you don't hit with the 1st. Having an assault looking rifle may make you look macho but I have never seen a factory assault rifle that could shoot with a good bolt action. And I love my Garand M1. The smallest I have ever used for deer is a 25-06, other calibers are 30-06, 308 Winchester, 270 Winchester and 280 Remington.

Read some hunting magazines and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thx for the input. I actually had the chance to shoot a 30-06 while i was at the range. It has some kick to it. not too bad actually.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts