Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the look for another revolver today, namely a S&W model 64-65, pre-lock, round Butt, 3". While I did find such beast, I also found three other cool guns. I found a Ruger GP100, 4 inch, fixed sighted, .38 special (only) with a half-lug.

I never liked the full lug on revolvers so this one almost perfectly fit my "Combat Revolver" idea for a CCW piece (4 inch barrel not withstanding).

The other I had seen before but cant find any information on it and it also almost perfectly fit my revolver needs. It was a blued GP100, 3 inch (looks allot like a 2.5" to me) barrel, adjustable sighted revolver. It had a half-lug too.

I cant find much information on any of these. The Blued 3 inch adj sighted on is particularly vexing. I don't want a blues gun but its so nice.

Any help guys?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
A 2-3/4 inch barreled Ruger Security Six .357 with adjustable sights is one I would put on top wants for the list of guns you mention!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hmm, I'll be curious to hear what the experts say. I have a 3" blued 38 fixed sight and a 3" stainless 357 adjustable sight, both full lug. I'm not aware of the configuration you mention.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A 2-3/4 inch barreled Ruger Security Six .357 with adjustable sights is one I would put on top wants for the list of guns you mention!!!
I like the speed/security/service models but both were GP100. They were quite strange.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I'll be curious to hear what the experts say. I have a 3" blued 38 fixed sight and a 3" stainless 357 adjustable sight, both full lug. I'm not aware of the configuration you mention.
Yea its a bit confusing. Both of the guns had half-lug which I prefer since it keeps weight down. The 3 or 2 3/4 inch one had a half red ramp front sight on it. I'm guessin they are older model GP100. I'd really like some help before somebody buys em up.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
On the blue 3" GP did the adjustable sights look the same as on other Rugers? A number of gunsmiths add adjustable sights usually using Smith & Wesson by milling a channel in the top strap and drilling and tapping for the sight. If it is a Ruger sight it should have "ears" on the top strap on the sides where the front pivot pin goes through the front of the sight.

The gun sure sounds like a 2.75" bbl. Security Six to me. Perhaps, you could get a picture of the gun.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a blued half-lug 4" .38 GP with fixed sights. It seems they made them for security companies or something. There are a decent number of them out there. The 3" half-lug with adjustable sights is one I've never heard of. The only half-lug adjustable sight model I'm aware of was the 6".

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I was on the look for another revolver today, namely a S&W model 64-65, pre-lock, round Butt, 3". While I did find such beast, I also found three other cool guns. I found a Ruger GP100, 4 inch, fixed sighted, .38 special (only) with a half-lug.

I never liked the full lug on revolvers so this one almost perfectly fit my "Combat Revolver" idea for a CCW piece (4 inch barrel not withstanding).

The other I had seen before but cant find any information on it and it also almost perfectly fit my revolver needs. It was a blued GP100, 3 inch (looks allot like a 2.5" to me) barrel, adjustable sighted revolver. It had a half-lug too.

I cant find much information on any of these. The Blued 3 inch adj sighted on is particularly vexing. I don't want a blues gun but its so nice.

Any help guys?
I am a HUGE GP100 fan. I have a blued, 6". However, I would never consider the .38 special only. While I use .38sp probably 95% of the time, I would NOT want to be limited for those rare occasions I choose to use .357 magnum and/or need the increased round in the field.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I picked up a half-lug .38 blued fixed sight GP-100 about two years ago from a LGS for $275. It was a security company trade-in. Carries nice in a Galco Summer Comfort IWB holster. I hope to work up some 38-44 equivalent handloads for it.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
No the Speed Six & Security Six ARE NOT a GP100 design they were the Security Six design that came out several years before the GP100 came along!!!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I just noticed OP in is Puerto Rico. That might lend credence to the special order theory. Hmm,anybody know the transfer laws between PR and mainland US? :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just noticed OP in is Puerto Rico. That might lend credence to the special order theory. Hmm,anybody know the transfer laws between PR and mainland US? :D
It works just as any other place in the US...other than price.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a HUGE GP100 fan. I have a blued, 6". However, I would never consider the .38 special only. While I use .38sp probably 95% of the time, I would NOT want to be limited for those rare occasions I choose to use .357 magnum and/or need the increased round in the field.
I personally don't mind. Here in PR a box of .38 special range ammo runs about 18.99+ 12% tax so I shoot some gunshop reloads that are 14$+ tax. I will probably never fire a .357 in any gun I own until I move to the free nation of the good ol USA.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the blue 3" GP did the adjustable sights look the same as on other Rugers? A number of gunsmiths add adjustable sights usually using Smith & Wesson by milling a channel in the top strap and drilling and tapping for the sight. If it is a Ruger sight it should have "ears" on the top strap on the sides where the front pivot pin goes through the front of the sight.

The gun sure sounds like a 2.75" bbl. Security Six to me. Perhaps, you could get a picture of the gun.
It looked factory. Even had the factory red insert on the front sight. I did not take a picture as I thought it was just another GP100 variant. The rear sight was also as you described the factory sight would be like. Sort of like a Colt MKIII type sight.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I wish I could remember where I read it but that configuration (4 inch half lug blued GP100) sounds like it was for either the Brazilian or Argentinan police. I'll try searching and see if I can find some info.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wish I could remember where I read it but that configuration (4 inch half lug blued GP100) sounds like it was for either the Brazilian or Argentinan police. I'll try searching and see if I can find some info.

I think you read it wrong. The 4" fixed sight, half-lug GP100 is a Stainles model in .38 only. The 3" is blued with adjustable sights.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
It sounds like you're lusting over something shiny, but it also doesn't sound like you really have application for it...? There's not a lot of gap between any of them, but there's enough for me to think the first step should be for you to make up your mind.

Do you want fixed sights, or adjustable?

There might not be a lot of change between 3" and 4" revolver in my personal preference, but for other people, that might matter. Half lug definitely makes a difference in balance and handling.

Do you want blued or stainless? It sounds like you prefer stainless revolvers, so while it might be ok to lust after a pretty blued revolver, why would you really consider buying blued?

38spcl only vs. 357mag is a pretty big consideration. It might not matter much to you as the shooter, but if you ever intend to sell the revolver later, the 38spcl will be less marketable for resale.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It sounds like you're lusting over something shiny, but it also doesn't sound like you really have application for it...? There's not a lot of gap between any of them, but there's enough for me to think the first step should be for you to make up your mind.

Do you want fixed sights, or adjustable?

There might not be a lot of change between 3" and 4" revolver in my personal preference, but for other people, that might matter. Half lug definitely makes a difference in balance and handling.

Do you want blued or stainless? It sounds like you prefer stainless revolvers, so while it might be ok to lust after a pretty blued revolver, why would you really consider buying blued?

38spcl only vs. 357mag is a pretty big consideration. It might not matter much to you as the shooter, but if you ever intend to sell the revolver later, the 38spcl will be less marketable for resale.
I honestly don't care about resale values. I'm not thinking of buying a gun with the thought of how much I will get out of it. I prefer stainless but I've always loved adjustable sighted snubbies and there are not many here. In the US you guys have mostly simple CCW laws but here it can cost up to 1k$ for a CCW permit and new guns are super expensive so me buying used guns is not just because I like them but because its what I can afford. I love revolvers and don't mind how may I accumulate.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
The gun of real interest here is the one described as a blue 3" 357 Mag with factory adjustable rear and standard removable front insert. If such an example existed it would be catalogued as a GP-330. Unfortunately the RENE Reference does not list such a catalog number or corresponding model number. A photo would be helpful otherwise it's hard not to be skeptical that it's a factory original. There are other possibilities of course. A good gunsmith can shorten a 4" or 6" GP100, recreate the front insert sight milling and even change the barrel profile to resemble the partial shroud barrel. So what you saw may be a custom gun.

The factory partial shroud in a 3" barrel is subtle and often goes unnoticed. Here's a photo of a stainless 3" GP100 with the partial shroud barrel for reference. This is a fairly common KGPF-330. If what you saw was factory it would have the same style rollmarks on that side and the "bill board" warning on the opposite side. There's not a lot of barrel to create the partial shroud.

I believe there are other differences in the shape of the barrel between the fixed sight partial shroud and the front insert full shroud. If I was gonna bet on this I would go with a custom GP100 and not factory. If the bluing is really nice then I would be inclined to vote custom as well for that. Not that it matters - could be an excellent find on a beautifully executed custom GP100. Lots of nice GP100s created beyond the palace walls in Conneticut and New Hampshire.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts