Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
What did you just buy you ask? Looks like you bought a sweet ol Blackhawk man!!!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
It's pretty, but it has some "problems", as mentioned in the link to the "other" Rugersite.

First and most obvious clue is the unfluted cylinder, along with the XR3RED grip frame & panels.

I'd call it a very nice "shooter".

:)

·
Registered
805 Posts
I once owned an old flattop 44 and mine and every other one I have seen had a fluted cylinder. I am certainly not a Ruger collectible expert but that does not look original nor does the blueing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any chance it's legit?

I thought you couldn't get a non-original replacement cylinder from Ruger.

Why would anyone replace grips and cylinder and reblue?

Isn't that a lot of work, just to resell?

If they were trying to deceive, it assumes buyers have very sharp eyes?

Or am I just being hopeful.

Also, they advertised wrong year production (it's a '58 right?).

Should I hope and get letter from Ruger?

Assuming this is a put-together, what is it worth, did I pay way too much?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Super Blackhawk cylinder is a drop-in swap and you can find them anywhere.

They likely started with a "beater" and fixed it up to sell.

Yes, 1958.

Too bad, all around.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not really, generally as long as they fit the timing is not usually an issue as the cylinders are machined to blueprints that spell out the clocking of the notches and chambers..

As far as price, if you are happy with it.. That is what counts in the big picture.
However it takes researching the fine points of different models and understanding the variations past just the Ser#.
These days with all the information avaliable on the webs you can learn alot in a shorter time.. Especially with sites like this one and others.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Don't new cylinders have to be timed with the gun, or is that easy to do?
It is my understanding that cylinders are matched to the revolver at the factory and once the timing and gap tolerances are achieved, the cylinder is stamped with the last 3 digits cooresponding to the frame serial number...at least with the newer models...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I personally think you paid too much, but if you're satisfied with the gun, fine.

It is a handsome gun, and likely a great shooter. I've bought guns for much less than you paid, but then turned around and spent much more to have the gun just the way I want it.

Don't cry over spilled coffee!

Bob Wright

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree with Bob, for what it is you may have paid alittle much.
However.. I have a Nickel 4-5/8" .45 i paid $350 for... Between "UnConverting it with a Super Blackhawk set, Stainless OA gripframe, new OldWalnuts, Stainless Ejector Rod Housing, Stainless Crecent ejector rod, etc.. I am over $800 in it..but it is my FavoriteShooter..

Bob also posted a picture of one of his guns awhile back, and It forced me to spend money building one almost exactly like it..:)

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is my dads .44 1957 unmolested (by Ruger) 4 digit serial number that he bought new for $75. I put the gold anodized grip frame and Jay Scott grips on it. Still have the original varnished grips and frame.
The finish doesn't look like an original blue from the time period and the XR3RED grip frame and unfluted cylinder. Hopefully a letter from Ruger will make it all clear. Great looking Blackhawk even if it turns out to be non-original.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Super Blackhawk cylinder is a drop-in swap and you can find them anywhere.
Don't new cylinders have to be timed with the gun, or is that easy to do?
Not really, generally as long as they fit the timing is not usually an issue as the cylinders are machined to blueprints that spell out the clocking of the notches and chambers.
It is my understanding that cylinders are matched to the revolver at the factory and once the timing and gap tolerances are achieved, the cylinder is stamped with the last 3 digits cooresponding to the frame serial number...at least with the newer models...
To end this little banter - Ruger large frame cylinders are all almost perfectly interchangeable, with only the rarest of rare opportunities for mis-matched cylinders not fitting. Yes, most of them are marked for serial number matching these days, but no, that doesn't mean they won't fit and function properly and safely in other revolvers.

I used to make a living - literally - refitting Ruger Vaqueros, Blackhawks, and Super Blackhawks for SASS/CAS shooters, all of the Vaquero shooters wanted non-fluted cylinders, the SBH shooters all wanted fluted cylinders. I swapped dozens and dozens of them back and forth. I've down over a dozen of my own original Vaqueros too that I've converted to SBH cylinders, as I'm a 44mag Vaquero fanatic, and ardently favor non-fluted cylinders in them (which account for about 1/3 of my 44mag Vaquero collection, currently).

Non-fluted cylinders are regularly available from a number of sources. None are "factory new," they're all take-off parts. The supply chain is never really "stable," but it's never taken me more than a day or two to find a cylinder when I want one. I'd venture I've bought 40-50 take off Ruger SA cylinders in the last 20yrs? There are a couple on ebay for sale right now...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Varminterror:

Thank you for the info.

So now I know there can be Frankenstein Rugers out there with incorrect cylinders!

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Ok Ruger confirmed with the serial # built in 1958?? If so from what I am assuming then the unfluted cylinder & XR3RED grip frame have been added. Am I getting this story correct or not?? If so ok you won the auction but have you sent the necessary funds in yet to start the shipment of this Ruger to you?? To me you have been miss led but I haven't read anything in another Forum. I did look at this gun on GB this revolver looks like its too good to be true thing to me......but I am in no way knowledgeable on a Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top Model. Personally I feel this is a beautiful gun but man I hate to see some one taken advantage of! So if you bought this as a legitimate collector & it's not I wouldn't buy it & report this to GB as possible fraudulent sale......but you the OP should also know what you are buying or want to buy before you placed your winning bid. It still doesn't make things right for you I hope you can get your questions answered & problems resolved good luck!!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Varminterror:

Thank you for the info.

So now I know there can be Frankenstein Rugers out there with incorrect cylinders!
The Non Fluted cylinder is a popular modification...I have done a couple of mine the same way, I like the way it looks.

Some of us kinda like that the parts interchange it makes for some interesting combinations...like yours, it is a good looking gun, and will be a great shooter..and will serve you for many years to come.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gqucool-

You are correct.

Highly unlikely this is original parts.

Yes, I should know what I'm buying. Dougan's first Ruger book was unclear as to exactly which Blackhawk Rugers were sent with Super cylinders. So I thought there was a chance, however his second book indicated serial number ranges (which I discovered subsequently).

At any rate, this gun was specifically advertised as a 1957, which I now have written confirmation from Ruger that it was in fact built/shipped 1958.

Thus, I am not going to complete the sale for a gun which I did not bargain for.

I did not know at the time I bid that Ruger's website allowed one to check.

At any rate, it was theoretically possible Ruger website is not 100% correct, thus I acquired written confirmation.

Bottom line: no sale due to factually incorrect date if manufacturer.

The rest of its issues are "caveat emptor".

Moreover, I will note that the seller expressly denies an inspection period.

This was a very red flag I chose to ignore, but that doesn't mean I have to honor my bid for a 1957 Ruger when In fact it is not.

Hope this clears up the story.

As an aside, I don't believe Ruger numbered their cylinders to the frame back then.

Thanks everyone, this was a great learning experience, which thankfully I do not have to lose $1301 over.

The experts here can opine on the true value of a Frankenstein Ruger, but as a virgin wanna be collector, the value of such a gun is zero to me.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts