Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone from newbie.

I was cleaning my Mini-14 and I noticed that the guide rod had gone through the spring ie. the recoil-spring had engulfed the "toungue" of the guide rod. I managed to use a plier and loosen it off and it seems that it is fine but wondering why that would happen. I managed to put it back together and there seems to be enough tension on the spring. The bolt and the slide seem to be working fine, but wanted to check with more knowledgeable before I take it out to the range again.

The rifle was being cleaned after about 500 rounds but do not think that has anything to do with it. Also this has never happened before and the guide rod has always slid out perfectly. Thanks in advance for sharing any thoughts/views.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve had one slip like that before. I did eventually replace mine with the Wolff “extra power” one to eat up some of the recoil and it seems to be a little more tightly wound. YMMV.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was inserted on the tight end. Otherwise it would not go in, in fact I tried it again after I managed to get it out. I’m just wondering if there is just too much pressure on the slide assembly that the spring cannot take. Maybe I messed up, but have done cleaning many times.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Welcome to the forum, sin. I've seen a lot of over gassed Minis but never saw the guide rod go inside a recoil spring.
If that happens with the tight end of the spring, it's time to order a new spring. Factory recoil springs are fairly cheap, I have a couple spares in the parts drawer for when my two Minis need a new one. Have fired around 1500 rounds in each, the springs they came with will probably still be going strong after 15,000 more.
If you call Ruger (depending on who you speak to) they might just send you a new spring for you to try.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Not having cleaned it for 500 rounds should not have been the cause of the recoil spring issue.
I have no problems myself anymore going 350 rounds before giving the Mini a good thorough teardown and cleaning.
I know guys that have gone a lot longer than 500 rounds.

Make sure you scrub the chamber with a brush as well after that much shooting. I bought several of these Flux brushes at a plumbing supply house for about $4 each. Bend the handle 90 degrees to the brush, shove it into the chamber, and the soft bristles conform to the chamber. Just insert and twist back and forth. I keep one in the range bag, one in the bug out pack, and one in the at home cleaning kit.
The brush above the gun had bristles that were way too soft, the one in the chamber is the heavy duty plumbers one.

So is your Mini fairly new, or was it bought used with round count unknown ?
How far does it eject the brass ? If it chucks it more than 20 feet you can tone down the excess gas by going to a smaller gas bushing. Many of us do that and still have 100% reliability.

Make sure when you reassemble to get that pointy tip of the guide rod facing up when it goes into the steel cylinder Ruger calls a buffer. If you get it in there tip down, your Mini will cycle roughly and not open all the way.
What we call "buffers" are the blue thing you see on my guide rod.
I also run one on the front, around the gas pipe. It cushions the op-rod slamming against the gas block.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought it brand new less than a year ago, and have about a couple thousand rounds through it. I use good ammo as well - aguila, IMI and norma. I have used the Norma frangible too.

It chucks brass probably within 20 feet. As for the steel cylinder (called buffer) I was careful about it. My understanding is if you have the direction of the 'tongue' inverted it just won't cycle. In any case I checked it and double checked when I put it though post cleaning. I never felt any issue (before or after) with the operating rod or bolt cycling, feels and sounds just right. And before I cleaned it, the gun was pretty darn accurate as usual.

I have given it to my gunsmith to look over. It is possible the recoil spring was faulty (?) or maybe I just put the guiding rod at a slight angle (?) to cause pressure. Even then my understanding is that the operating rod/bolt won't cycle properly if the spring is faulty or not sprung straight.

Anyway I will probably order a recoil spring and guiding rod from Ruger. I cannot seem to find the parts on shopruger.com. Anyone have a part number handy, I am sure I can find it someplace.

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with Ruger as well today, even they were surprised. I have to say, it is always a pleasure to deal with their customer service. They even offered to have the issue reported to the manufacturer so that at least they know of this issue. I ordered a new guide rod/recoil spring anyway.

Meanwhile I had my gunsmith look it over, he felt the gun was just fine. I cycled 125 round through it today, and will strip it down sometime this week to see if the problem is replicated. At the very least I am replacing the guide rod and/or spring. Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I stripped the Mini 14 after 125 rounds of Norma Frangible 51gr ammo. These are the pictures of issue. The guide-rod had gone through the spring like last time. You can also see the size of spring old vs new. I am relatively new to this, but seems like that spring (from factory) could not handle the pressure. Ruger too could not understand and I will send them these pictures.
  • Ruger asked me about ammo I use - I only use good ammo and has only see Fiocchi, IMI, Norma, very small quantity Federal (which my gun did not like)
  • They asked me about higher pressure due to heavier bullet - I have not used over 55gr so far
This is quite perplexing and no one seems to have encountered this. I will keep everyone posted if any updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The way the spring/rod is set up you cannot put it through the “tight end”. Second, if you put the rod upside down then generally the bolt won’t cycle. Ruger generally does a good job on those two. Appreciate the advice, but am pretty sure I did both those right.
And yes, I replaced the rod/spring set. The bolt is cycling fine and probably will put a few rounds through tomorrow. Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm. That is strange, because in both springs the rod only goes in from one end. That is what my gunsmith and ruger said too. Is your spring after-market ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got a brand new spring/rod from ruger. It only goes through one end, just as ruger says it should

1 - 20 of 21 Posts