Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a MKII 22/45 that is giving me problems and I wondered if anyone might have any advice.
I bought this gun new and it has been having an occasional failure-to-fire from the very beginning. An average of about one round out of every clip will fail to fire. When this happens the round will show a very light firing pin strike. It does it with every type of ammo I have tried and with every different clip. It might happen on the first round, the fifth, or the tenth.
I have had the bolt out several times for cleaning and cannot see anything wrong. I used to think it just needed "breaking in" and would get better with time, but this has not happened.
Has anyone seen anything similar? Thanks.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
I'll let one of our Gunsmiths answer your questions, but Welcome to the Board. If you get a chance go by the New Member section in the Lobby and introduce yourself. Our members like a chance to meet and welcome the new members. :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Wick, There are 3 things that could be the problem. If you have the adjustable target trigger, the overtravel adjustment may be set too tight. This will cause the sear to drag on the hammer.

Next is the firing pin stop. It is a 1/8" pin that is installed in the bolt. The purpose of the pin is to limit firing pin travel so when you dry fire, the firing pin won't damage the chamber mouth. If the pin gets bent from repeated dry firing, it can limit the firing pin from striking the case rim.

Last is the hole in the lower frame for the hammer pivot pin. The polymer hole may get enlarged or distorted. This will make the hammer pivot slightly off "square" and will drag on the sides. This is the most likely cause of your problem. Ruger did a bad job on this pin. In the standard MK II, the pin is secured by the left grip panel however in the 22/45, the sear spring is supposed to hold the pin in position. The hammer pivot pin should be centered in its hole (visible from the left side, on the top edge of the grip panel). If it is off center, the hammer will bind up.

I'm emailing a copy of my MK Series IBOK and hope it will help you isolate the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Iowegan;
Thank you for your reply. I will check out the items you listed tonight. If this had been one on my Garands I would have known just what to do! I just have no experience with this pistol. :(
I will send you an e-mail so you can send me copy of your manual.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Iowegan. I just bought a MkIII 22/45 target in SS bull barrel. Please send me info on how to obtain your book. Thanks in advance. George
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts