Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Been moving my dad out of his old house of 50 years and found an old Ruger 22LR auto in the dresser drawer. I believe it to be an old Mark I but it is probably at least 40 years old. Only markings are "Storm Ruger & Co.", "22 Cal Long Rifle Automatic Pistol", and a serial number "234717". Is this an old Mark I and any idea how old it is?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,671 Posts
TNCarters, Yor Ruger was made in 1962 and is a "Standard" model. Standards were also made in a target model called a MK I. If it is a MK I, it will have that roll marked on the left rear of the receiver and will have adjustable sights.

Lots of confusion ... all MK Is are Standards but only Target Standards are MK Is. This changed when Ruger introduced the MK II. All models (including target models) were roll marked MK II. Same with MK IIIs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys.

I do not see Mark I anywhere on it and its not in the best of condition with several bad spots in the finish. Chrome on trigger and magazine are also in bad shape. I've been wanting a 22LR for cheap shooting so will probably just clean it up and use it for that. It seems to have an extremely light trigger so someone may have done some work on it.

How similar is this "Standard" to a Mark I internally if I need a part?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,671 Posts
TNCarters, The internal parts for a Standard and MK I are identical. Even many of the MK II parts are the same as your old Standard. Pistols in this age group aren't really valuable to collectors unless they are in like new condition and have the factory box, papers, etc. They are great shooters and that trigger pull is probably factory.

MK II magazines will work in a Standard if you reverse the loading button. The Standard magazines are 9 round and the MK II mags are 10 round and don't have the chrome base.

I would be glad to email you a copy of a book I wrote for the MK Series pistols. Send me an email if you are interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mag ?

MK II magazines will work in a Standard if you reverse the loading button. The Standard magazines are 9 round and the MK II mags are 10 round and don't have the chrome base.
Not to hijack the thread, but is this any Mark II magazine or is it the new ones that are being made? Does the MKII magazine stick out of the bottom of the Mark I or is it a flush fit? Just curious as I just ordered a MKI magazine and have MKII magazines on hand.

Edited: Pulled them out of the safe and found out it does work. The new Ruger Mark II magazine is now a Mark I magazine. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts