Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking for many rears i found a number one in 280 cal 1983 i believe. I bought rings and mounted my old gold ring 3x9. at one hundred with winchester 140 ballistic tips it is a inch or under with sand bags. my problem is that at age 75 my eyes must be changing and i am shooting out of a small picture on the scope. no big deal on the bags but not for hunting, i have read around and am confused at all of the many remedies. i want the gun to look like a number one and dont mind buying a another scope for it but i need quite a bit of eye relief short of cutting the stock off i need help please

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
How are your eyes... at 69 my vision started failing, a good eye exam revealed glaucoma was taking my sight ... all I had left were bits and pieces
" I am shooting out of a small picture on the scope" this sounds like what is happening to me.
Have you had a good eye exam lately and what did it reveal . Glaucoma takes small pieces of the picture away...it will eventually take all of your sight but is easily treated with eye drops. Won't restore sight but you keep what you have left.
Prior to glaucoma I suffered from detached retina's in both eyes .
So what's your eye story ... I've been through a lot of eye problems and might can give advice that a person with 20/20 vision doesn't have a clue about .

Welcome to the forum
Gary

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
jamesrodneybookout , there is something you can do that I think will help. Ruger makes offset rings, (google “Ruger offset rings”). Since you’re running a 3x9 scope I’m going to assume it’s a 40mm objective. Ruger makes offset rings, specifically #4’s, which will allow scopes with up to 42mm objective to be mounted. Since yours is a #1 you would need two #4’s, maybe one offset and one standard or possibly two offset. This should allow you to bring the scope back to you, providing you with more useable eye relief.

I’m not guaranteeing this will solve your issue but it may be worth looking into.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It sounds like you have the scope either too close or too far away for the proper eye relief. Either one will shrink the apparent field of view. Don't cut the stock, just move the scope in it's rings until you get a full field of view.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
It sounds like you have the scope either too close or too far away for the proper eye relief. Either one will shrink the apparent field of view. Don't cut the stock, just move the scope in it's rings until you get a full field of view.
GP Fan, this problem is common with #1’s. Due to the falling block design, Ruger put the ring mounts forward. This makes it extremely hard to get proper eye relief with a short tube scope....it can only go back so far. A person has two choices, offset rings or a scope with a longer tube. There is a third option, cut the stock, but who’d do that, right?

If the OP is considering shortening the stock, that tells me he can’t get the scope back far enough to get the needed eye relief and still be in a repeatable/comfortable shooting position. Moving it forward would only make it worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
all of myt scopes are leopold varx3 fiftys so if i need a new scope the locals have not been any help it would seem that an number one is right there with bigfoot

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
could you recommend a scope please with a longer tube?
There are so many out there to choose from it may be easier for you to do an on line search of scopes that appeal to you. Most have a spec sheet that will provide you with numbers from the turret to ocular and turret to objective.

If you can’t find it on line call the manufacturer, I’m pretty sure they’d have that info.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
jamesrodneybookout, is the length of the scope tube NOT allowing you get the scope back far enough for a natural shooting position and obtain the proper eye relief?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
after talking to ruger i have ordered both offset rings and have decided on a 40mm scope since a fifty will not work with the rings ruger offered, i will try that out, put a out of production 40 conquest 3x9 on it and it was close with standard high rise rings thanks for the help it may not be the end , waiting on ups.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
after talking to ruger i have ordered both offset rings and have decided on a 40mm scope since a fifty will not work with the rings ruger offered, i will try that out, put a out of production 40 conquest 3x9 on it and it was close with standard high rise rings thanks for the help it may not be the end , waiting on ups.
I think running both rings offset should make it work for ya.

·
Registered
92 Posts
jamesrodneybookout

I have had a similar problem plus now a cataract in my right (shooting) eye.

A number of years ago, when I seriously started fooling with #1's I went through the same thing as far as eye relief. I fiddled with several sets of rings and also considered custom mounts and rings. I ended up with the double off set #4's from Ruger. With some tuning (sliding the scope back and forth) in the rings I was able to get them (all my scopes) set exactly where they needed to be.

It can work..... Good luck.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
James, I recently took my Leopold 3X9X40 Rifleman off of my Ruger #1 RSI in .243, and placed a Vortex 3X9X40 Diamondback on it as it has at least 4" of eye relief. Now I get the full field of view when I pull it up to my shoulder. Note I had cataracts removed from both of my eyes, and had a new lens inserted, in place of the astigma.(spelling). Any way I've used the #5 rings which are just the standard high rings used on the Ruger #1's. BTW I'm 72 so I'm not that far behind you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I used these: Burris Ruger to Weaver Scope Base Adapter Ruger #1, 77/22, 77/44, Redhawk Gloss, Burris #: 410991. I also used Millet Angle-Loc dual extension rings to get the scope where wanted. The scope I used was a Burris 6x mini compact scope with at least 5 inches of eye relief. It adds a bit of steel to the gun but the scope is easier to the use. I'll try to get a picture in the next couple of days.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts