Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 10/22 will fire, and chamber the next round, but it won't fire that round, it just clicks. I am using cheap ammo, and I took it apart to clean it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I would first inspect the unfired rounds for strike marks...if the strike marks for the spent cases and the unfired cases look the same then try loading the failed round and hitting it again...that will at least tell you a few things about what is or isn't happening...

If the gun never did that before with same ammo until it's recent cleaning maybe you got grime and/or oil wedged in the gap where the firing pin comes out of bolt...

How clean is the head space...

If you can't figure it out from there maybe you should take the bolt apart...

Not sure how old/used your gun is...but you can buy a stronger hammer spring for harder strikes...it might cause stove pipes with weak or subsonic rounds if you use an extra power hammer spring...

You can try a new firing pin...they sell titanium ones that supposedly strike harder...

You can also buy a brand new factory bolt assembly for around $35...

Go to midway usa and search for ruger 10/22 parts...firing pin...hammer spring...at least you will see what parts are there and how much they cost...

Odds are your bolt needs to be thoroughly cleaned...as in taken apart, cleaned...put back together...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I could not get the bolt out when I cleaned it, I am new to it and was afraid to mess anything up. Also, on the second round, there was no mark......like the pin never hit it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Try changing ammo, rem and win sold here in NM have had bad reports of non fireing. I use federal auto match not the reg bulk, also CCI stingers work good

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
There a plenty of knowledgable 10/22 owners here (I'm not one of them) who will walk you through this issue. Welcome to the forum; you came to the right place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts