Ruger Forum banner

Henry 45-70

21K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  JVogler 
#1 ·
comments from anyone who has experience using a Henry 45-70 would be appreciated

#2 ·
I don't have one (yet), although I do have a Henry .30-30 and a Henry .22. The Marlin Owners Forum has a pretty active Henry section. You can also try the Henry forum (henry firearms.org). The latter, while very friendly, is still small and slow.

Do you have any specific questions about your Henry .45-70?

#3 ·
our family has always enjoyed lever action rifles .... we currently own two, a Winchester Model 94 30-30 that as been passed down through the family and a Browning BLR 308 that was purchased in the mid 60's .... we are now in a position were we can do so and are considering expanding our collection (last firearm purchased was in the early 80's) .... we have friends who live in one of the states where they now allow rifle hunting for deer with straight wall cartridges .... the 45-70 has a rich history and we are considering it

#5 · (Edited)
The Henry H010 .45-70 is a fine rifle, and should be an excellent choice for deer hunting. What you can expect if you buy one is a rifle with excellent build quality. Wood to metal fit will likely be really good. It will likely come with a very smooth action, as well as a good trigger.

Some shooters, used to shooting Winchesters and Marlins, object to the lack of a loading gate (Henry rifles are tube loaded, just like a .22 lever gun). Yes, it's different, but it works just fine.

Henry rifles come with a lifetime warranty. In the unlikely event of an issue of any kind, Henry has the best customer service in the business.

If I were looking for a .45-70 for deer hunting, I'd also consider a Marlin 1895. I'd be very careful about buying a new one, though, as the ones now being made in NY by Remington have had some issues. A better bet is looking for a good used "JM" stamped Marlin made in Connecticut.

I really like my Henry .30-30. It has pretty wood, and the action is just as smooth as my 1982 Marlin 336. The trigger on my Henry is better than the one one my Marlin.

#6 ·
its good to hear such positive comments from people who actually own/use a Henry .... in looking at their both their 44 mag and 45-70, it appears that the 45-70 hits a bit harder and has a longer useful range .... not that there is anything wrong with a 44, I've never seen a deer fight off a well placed 44 round

#7 ·
I do not have a Henry 45-70 but do own a Big Boy. 357 and I absolutely love that rifle. I bought the Henry because it is all American made AND I do believe they have the best warranty in the business.
I actually sent mine back because of feeding issues when I first got it. Upon return, they not only made the action the smoothest I've ever felt, but also replaced the forend free because they thought there was a flaw on it.
I was actually wavering on the lack of a loading gate, but have come to appreciate the tube load. It saves the thumbs, and unless you are shooting SASS or something will you need more than 10 rounds? The weight of the gun is also a plus. It holds on target and dampens recoil.
I would not hesitate to get that Henry 45-70. I thinkit would be a great addition to your collection.

#8 ·
I second all the Henry praise. I have no experience with the 45-70, but I do have the .22 and my son-in-law has a 44. mag and both are just excellent quality rifles. Action is smooth and they are sturdy and well made. I have a .357 mag on my short list.

#11 ·
I have 2 Henry .22 lever action rifles & love both. I would also consider a Henry or a Marlin 1895 in 45/70. The build quality when Remington first bought out Marlin was rough. But there is no way I would be afraid of a new Marlin right now top build quality. Now yes finding a JM Marlin 1895 you will pay for the JM markings & well worth it. To me the Henry 45/70 lever action copies the Marlin other then how the rifle is loaded. The Henry today is a really very fine rifle beautiful wood used & Henry stands behind their product. My only question if I was to consider either a Marlin or a Henry is the way each gun is loaded yes the Henry loads like a lever action .22 tube fed. Nothing wrong with either rifle it's a matter of personal taste. Personally I would stick with a traditional cross hair scope, good luck!!!

#14 · (Edited)
excellent point .... realistically a 45-70 isn't a long range cartridge .... for me, setting it up for use within 100 would be realistic .... historically our family has used Nikon scopes, we would probably look for one of theirs

I don't know if it was the weight of all those big bullets in the magazine or a weak latch but it would drop the lever open. You could latch it shut but the slightest bump or inertia would cause it to become unlatched again and the lever would drop about an inch. I sent it back to Henry but when they returned it it still did the same thing.

I did a little research and it was a known issue affecting some of the center fire rifle caliber Henrys (30-30 and 45-70).

Henry CS was responsive and prompt but after they returned it the first time they weren't too interested in looking at the rifle again. Like I said, thankfully the gunshop was willing to refund my money.
info most certainly appreciated .... was your Henry equipped with the standard or large loop lever .... how long ago did you have a Henry with this problem ....

#13 · (Edited)
I owned one briefly. Fit, finish and action were all fine. However, it did have a problem that Henry was unable to resolve. When the rifle was fully loaded the lever wouldn't stay closed. I don't know if it was the weight of all those big bullets in the magazine or a weak latch but it would drop the lever open. You could latch it shut but the slightest bump or inertia would cause it to become unlatched again and the lever would drop about an inch. I sent it back to Henry but when they returned it it still did the same thing. Fortunately the gunshop refunded my money and they dealt with Henry directly.

I did a little research and it was a known issue affecting some of the center fire rifle caliber Henrys (30-30 and 45-70). It wasn't a problem on the pistol caliber Big Boy rifles. Not all rifles had the problem but it wasn't unique to my particular gun either. The rifle I'm talking about is the matte blued 45-70 with the ghost ring sight mounted on the receiver. The 30-30 version had reports of the same issue.

Henry CS was responsive and prompt but after they returned it the first time they weren't too interested in looking at the rifle again. Like I said, thankfully the gunshop was willing to refund my money.

To be fair, I own two other Henrys. A 22LR and a 22mag. Both are great rifles and I heartily recommend them.

FWIW, after my experience with the Henry 45-70 I bought a RemLin 1895GBL. Excellent rifle. I liked it so much I traded for similar one (1895GS). I still have both of them and I've never had a problem with either one. I also own a JM 336 and the newer RemLins are just as good IMO. YMMV.

#31 ·
I did a little research and it was a known issue affecting some of the center fire rifle caliber Henrys (30-30 and 45-70). It wasn't a problem on the pistol caliber Big Boy rifles. Not all rifles had the problem but it wasn't unique to my particular gun either. The rifle I'm talking about is the matte blued 45-70 with the ghost ring sight mounted on the receiver. The 30-30 version had reports of the same issue.
just to confirm, so far as you know, the 44 Henry Big Boy Steel isn't known to have the lever issue

#15 ·
I have the large loop on my Henry Big Boy 357 and like it.

Not sure if you are dead set on a scope or not, but I have Skinner peeps and front blades on my Henry Big Boy .357 and Buffalo Classic 45-70 and love them, especially up to 100 yards. Just throwing that out there.

#17 ·
I'd prefer open sites (specifically a smaller peep site) but the reality is I'm pushing 70, wear trifocals, and my vision isn't anywhere near as sharp as it once was .... low light (dawn/dusk) conditions magnify the need .... a good light gathering scope would be most helpful

#16 ·
I have the Skinner barrel mount peep sights and a 3 x 7 scope on my Henry. Son-in-law just has the factory sights on his .44 mag. An Aimpoint would work just fine. The "traditionalists" will cry sacrilege, but if it works for you for your intended purpose, go for it.

#18 ·
Speaking to tube fed lever actions, the Hornady LEVERevolution plastic pointed
projectiles allow the .45-70 (and the other .45's) to move closer to being a true long range rifle. 325 grains leaving the muzzle at 2000+ f.p.s. leaves a mark.

At 100 yards it nearly equals the energy of .30-06 but at longer ranges it falls off by comparison pretty quick. You're looking at nearly a 30 inch drop out at 300 yards.

#19 ·
we hand load all of our ammo .... when I was looking for 45-70 components, I saw the Hornady plastic pointed bullets and wondered about them .... most every firearm I've ever touched is capable of making shots at much greater ranges than I am .... I've been doing some reading on the 45-70 and its most certainly an impressive round

#21 · (Edited)
that's hard to say .... I'm pretty sure there will be opportunities at distances greater than I'd be comfortable shooting .... historically, most shots I've taken have been under 100 yards .... that said, my favorite hunting rifle is a Remington 700 BDL chambered in 300 WBY topped with a 4X12 Nikon with which I've taken deer at much longer ranges .... as already indicated, our prime motivator is being able to hunt with friends who live in a state that has recently changed its rules to allow rifle hunting with straight walled cartridges .... the 45-70 is the strongest straight wall round in the Henry line, hence our interest

#23 ·
"to hunt with friends who live in a state that has recently changed its rules to allow rifle hunting with straight walled cartridges .... the 45-70 is the strongest straight wall round in the Henry line, hence our interest "

That's a great reason. You will definitely find a load just right for what you need. Have fun with it.

#32 ·
OP, Henry does in fact have outstanding customer service. You can call them during regular business hours and they will be happy to answer your questions.

Also, Henry does have some excellent instructional videos on their website that you should watch. There is one in particular that demonstrates the correct method for loading their lever guns. Following their procedure prevents having an issue with a lever popping open.

Also, I forgot about pistol caliber lever guns. A .44 magnums is in fact a straight walled cartridge that can be effective for deer hunting. I was at an LGS the other day, and they had a beautiful Big Boy Steel in .44. That might be a choice to consider. (Personally, though, I think I'd prefer .45-70).

#33 ·
OP, Henry does in fact have outstanding customer service. You can call them during regular business hours and they will be happy to answer your questions.
took that advice and gave them a call .... the rep I spoke with acknowledged the problem and stated that they have made some internal changes to deal with the issue .... he said the problem was more pronounced with the 30-30 than with the 45-70 .... he said that with the 45-70 if you rotate the "Inner Magazine Tube" as you slide it in place and if you don't use plastic tipped bullets (specifically recommended against using Hornady MonoFlex or Nosler Ballistic Silvertip 45-70 Govt. 300gr BT or any other such bullet ) .... he said that with plastic tip bullets the chance of a problem is much greater, with regular lead or solid brass bullets the problem is extremely rare .... I can't explain it, just relaying what I was told

#38 ·
I have had two Henry .45-70s. The first was the older peep sight model. The lever would pop open slightly when you load 405 grainers unless you held it closed with your left hand. Other than that the rifle worked flawlessly. Fit and finish were very good but I never liked the rear peep. I ordered a set of smaller apertures and eventually found one small enough to get fairly good accuracy at 100 yards but was concerned about the sight picture being too small at closer charging bear ranges.

While researching a .357 Magnum Henry lever gun, which I ended up buying, I noticed my .45-70 now was shown with a rear semi-buckhorn sight. Something I had always preferred and thought more period authentic. I contacted Henry and asked if I could have mine upgraded to the new sight and they told me sure, well do it under warranty and they sent me a call tag. Warranty? Wow! I tracked the rifle back to them and within two or three days of it being signed for at Henry they called to tell me it couldn't be fixed and they were giving me a brand new rifle. A few days later I got a brand new .45-70 with the semi buckhorn rear I had always wanted with a different style barrel band that secures the magazine tube to the barrel. I could not for the life of me figure out how I had gotten so lucky to get a new rifle free, but have since discovered there were issues with the original, plastic if I remember correctly, barrel band binding on the magazine tube and sometimes loosening under heavy recoil. The new barrel band does neither and the semi buckhorn sighted model no longer pops the lever open when loading. So, they def. "fixed" the problem. Amazing customer service, fast quick response. A beautiful rifle, both of them. I think I mentioned I bought the .357 magnum Henry and could not be happier with it as well. I would not hesitate to buy another Henry.

#39 ·
I contacted Henry and asked if I could have mine upgraded to the new sight and they told me sure, well do it under warranty and they sent me a call tag. Warranty? Wow! I tracked the rifle back to them and within two or three days of it being signed for at Henry they called to tell me it couldn't be fixed and they were giving me a brand new rifle. A few days later I got a brand new .45-70 with the semi buckhorn rear I had always wanted with a different style barrel band that secures the magazine tube to the barrel.

So, they def. "fixed" the problem. Amazing customer service, fast quick response.

OUTSTANDING .... your personal experience is truly appreciated .... would you consider putting a scope on your 45-70 ? .... how would you access the recoil ? .... have you tried any Hornady MonoFlex Bullets ? ....

#42 ·
Yes, that is the new tubular magazine mount and yes mine is blued thus the recoil pad. I shot a friends .45-70 with no recoil pad and that was brutal from a rest.

My .357 magnum has the brass receiver and brass butt plate but the recoil is much less in that caliber. Brass however is a pain to clean, lol. You clean it and oil it and then wipe it down to put it back in the safe.....but then you can't seem to stop polishing it. Eagle One "Nevr-Dull" Wadding Polish works great on the brass. But with the blued .45-70 a quick clean and wipe and your done.

#44 ·
JEBar I am making a comment after much has been said, but I would prefer first to get a Marlin 1895 45/70 over the Henry because simply I have more expercence with the Marlin vs the Henry. But I wouldn't turn either rifle down. But I did see a You Tube video on a fellows Henry 30/30 that the rifle had a tendency of the action locking up due to the lever slipping down after a cartridge has been chambered! He had sent his Henry back for repair and his Henry was still doing the same thing. Maybe Henry has resolved this problem. I like the Brass receiver but its too darn pretty to take out and get it scratched up. If I was going to buy a new Henry I would get a Steel Receiver vs the Brass. Plus the steel is stronger and looks a ton better if you want to mount a scope! But the 45/70 has a vicious kick or recoil to it make sure you get a recoil pad installed so you do not get your should hurt!!! The 45/70 is a great round will kill any animal you might run into. I do wish you good luck!!!

#45 ·
thank you for taking the time to respond .... I saw some of the same issues listed on YouTube and the lever dropping down on both the 30-30 and 45-70 concerned me as well .... according to talking with a rep at Henry and folks who have them, they have corrected the problem .... I'm probably going to phrase this wrong and if I do, I'm sure someone will post a correction .... its my understanding that the problem was with the magazine and the way it put pressure on the internals .... they have changed the way the magazine is attached to the barrel .... from all I've heard, like Ruger, they are standing by their product and fixing or replacing any sent to them .... I'm told that the recoil pad that come standard on the steel 45-70 is a good one .... there are other things that can be done to assist in recoil reduction if the pad isn't sufficient for our likes

#49 ·
Here's my H010b (45-70). Picked it up just before Christmas and have not yet been able to shoot it. I had my local saddle maker make me a sling for it (which I think I will wind up dying now seeing it on the rifle) and when I went to put it on the rear clasp wouldn't lock in.

I called Henry after the new year and turns out they shipped some of these out with the wrong size rear swivel stud. I just received a (free of course) full swivel replacement kit from them today (took about 10 days to get it) and installed the proper rear stud.

Where I shoot I have a small hike into the woods so I need it with a sling! So I'm cleaned up and ready to head out tomorrow. Will post back how it goes after the weekend.

Sorry for crappy phone pics :( They do not do this rifle justice. It is a beauty - smooth, and clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.