Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a search, but nothing really current comes up.
Does anybody have any recent experience with the Henry Big Boy in .357 / .38?
I'm very interested in acquiring one of these beauties and have heard nothing but great reviews, however, none of the write ups seem more up to date than 2011. Plus the majority focus on the .44 Mag version.
An added bonus is that the Henry is manufactured not just in the US, but less than 45 minutes away in scenic Bayonne, NJ!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can't speak to the Henry's, but I have a Marlin in 357. Absolutely fantastic gun to shoot, and with my reloads, quite capable of taking the small deer we have in Alabama.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I haven't been able to find one for sale, or I'd definitely take a serious look. The only thing I don't care for is that it wasn't offered w/ a blued receiver. I know a lot of folks like the classic brass look, but the glare bothers me. At any rate, there's no use pining for a rifle which doesn't exist when the version which does is (apparently) so scarce. It's a shame. I LOVE my Henry .17 HMR, & would be more than happy to own another of that company's rifles.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have owned a henry big boy in 45 long colt smooth operation and reliable I traded for something else but go ahead and get one it is reliable and available unlike marlin lever actions in 357 44 and 45.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
With Henry production stopped for God knows how long, due to the flood damage from the Sandy-Hurricane, prices on Henry's are climbing...not like the AR prices but higher than I have seen them before. AND like many other gun-related items, inventory seems low (or back ordered) at many retail outlets.

I have two Golden Boy 45LC and one 44 Mag NIB and a Blue 22 LR lever gun also NIB that I may sell sometime down the road, but for now they make an absolutely beautiful scene in one of my gun cabinets.

I did recently part with a Marlin 357 lever gun. it was a lot of fun to shoot !

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've emailed Henry a couple of times RE: the availability of certain items, & they have been fairly consistent in sighting late March as the time when many of their firearms will once again be shipping. The company did take quite a hit from Sandy, & the current gun hysteria isn't helping matters any (at least from a consumer perspective).

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Get the Marlin. proven for 100+ years, and much better looking IMO. Iv'e heard though, that since Remington took over Marlin, quality control has gone down somewhat. I'd look for a used Marlin rather than brand new. No shortage of used Marlin's in .44 mag, .45 Colt, or .357.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have noticed the increase in price on the Henry's...not just the 'Panic reaction buying', but the MSRP and Gun Digest lists are showing the BIG BOYS at $900 each. That's a $200 jump over the prices in last years publications.
I did sell a nice Marlin 357 short-barrel lever-gun for $600 early in December, but haven't tracked the prices since then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts