Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt as a companion to my Vaquero. It sure is purdy! :D
I'd like to pull the bolt and give it a good, first cleaning before I head out for some plinking. The instruction say to remove the lever screw, drop the lever and slide the bolt out. I tried that, but the bolt won't clear the fully cocked hammer. Am I missing something? If I have to break it down any further, I'd rather wait until I've had it for a while.
Anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just got a Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt as a companion to my Vaquero. It sure is purdy! :D
I'd like to pull the bolt and give it a good, first cleaning before I head out for some plinking. The instruction say to remove the lever screw, drop the lever and slide the bolt out. I tried that, but the bolt won't clear the fully cocked hammer. Am I missing something? If I have to break it down any further, I'd rather wait until I've had it for a while.
Anyone? Thanks!
Here is a how to video on the Big Boy ...

Henry Repeating Arms | Fine Rifles Made in America and Priced Right

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I can't say how to tear apart the Big Boy, I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. We've got two of the .45 Colt Big Boys and they are AWESOME!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.
I did a good bore cleaning from the muzzle, put a little oil on the bolt, and headed to the woods. The gun looked pretty clean out of the box, anyway... Just an old habit.
This thing is sa-weet! I'll add a little field report this evening. :cool:

·
Registered
488 Posts
yer just bein too gentle, son! :p

i get it. my henry big boy kinda had me stuck for a second with the same issue. in the end, i knew it should come out and had to give her just a BIT of a "jerk" to get the bolt out.

its no big deal. the nest time it'll come out easier. sometimes, you have to get just a little bit rough....even with the beautiful ones! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone? Thanks!
You need to hold the hammer down, then slide the bolt out. Using your thumb, etc. is sometimes problematic. I use a Velcro strap or nylon string and tie it down. Bolt comes out easy-peasy! Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts