Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made time to shoot my Henry lever action and its everything they promised. It cycled all my 32 h&r hand loads and some factory Federal’s 327 rounds to boot. Man what a pleasure it is to shoot, my wife even enjoyed shooting it.

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
I’ve had two Henry guns both in .22. The first was a Golden Boy and it fired first time, every time, and was very accurate. A bit heavy as compared to other .22 rifles. I ended up giving it to my oldest son (40 ish) and he really like it too.

I then had a flashback moment to the ‘50’s and bought a Henry Mare’s Leg That is modeled after the gun used by Steve McQueen in Wanted Dead or Alive. It’s not a replica, but similar. Great quality as you expect from Henry. Takes some getting used to as it’s not a rifle and it’s not really a pistol although it is classified as a pistol. First time I took it to the range they told me I couldn’t shoot it as it a sawed off rifle. I had to explain to them it’s a pistol by definition and they said fine. (They had never seen one) Not a good choice for conceal carry though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice looking rifle. No doubt Henry makes a good looking gun.

I've been considering one in .327/32 as a companion to my ss 32. I have a henry .22 with octagon barrel that I like. My hesitation on a big boy is the weight. If I could find a big boy carbine with the 16 inch barrel it would help me decide.

Enjoy the new rifle.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Glad to read that this gun shoots the 32 H&R too. Personally I like to have one in a case colored receiver with an octagon barrel. I enjoy Henry products and I'm glad to see they finally started making rifles with a side loading gate. Hope this will happen soon to the Big Boy line of rifles such as this one.

·
Premium Member
13,888 Posts
The Henry's are an amazing gun for the price. If they made a side loading one in 54 Colt.....it would be in my safe. After I get a new safe that is.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Henry is made in Nj believe it or not. I drive for Uber and I think I have driven past their plant. They do not mark it as a gun manufacturerer for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had to have my local gun shop order this one and could of picked anyone of the big boy models. But my intentions are to use it as a brush gun and didn’t want to worry about scratching up one of those beautiful golden boys. Gonna pair it up with my single seven 327 to hunt jackrabbits in South Texas after deer season ends.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Henry is hard to beat. I always add a larger lever to mine.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bwinters, interesting observation. Wonder if its due to political reasons or security practices? Maybe both? Damn shame they can’t show there presence and advertise like every other company in America. Crazy ???

Dddrees, what a beautiful Henry you have there. I would like to someday get one like that too. I understand they are beginning to offer a side gate on some of their models now. But I’m good not having one on mine. I will probably appreciate having the tube fed setup when I’m loading and unloading it in the field.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
bwinters, interesting observation. Wonder if its due to political reasons or security practices? Maybe both? Damn shame they can’t show there presence and advertise like every other company in America. Crazy ???

Dddrees, what a beautiful Henry you have there. I would like to someday get one like that too. I understand they are beginning to offer a side gate on some of their models now. But I’m good not having one on mine. I will probably appreciate having the tube fed setup when I’m loading and unloading it in the field.

Thank you sir. But since this is a replica of The Henry Rifle I'm convinced they will never do so on this particular rifle. Side Gate that is. But yes they are starting to do so on some of their other rifles.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
But the Big Boys and such, except for the actual original replica are not Henry copies they are a European design that emulates an American lever rifle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I own 4 Big Boys, I love shooting them, I have the 22lr, 38/357, 44spl/44mag and the 45 colt. Yes they are a bit heavy it helps with recoil on the 44mag. It is a well built weapon, fit and finish is good. I take care of my guns I don't baby them, they are built to shot and I shot them if the get dings and scratches is becomes part of the character of the gun.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
henry.

Thank you sir. But since this is a replica of The Henry Rifle I'm convinced they will never do so on this particular rifle. Side Gate that is. But yes they are starting to do so on some of their other rifles.
If the building is the one I thinki it is it is next to a highway onamp so security and anti gun sentiment which is high in many parts of nj.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts