Ruger Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Very nice looking rifle. Tempted to pick up the big loop short barrel version of that in the 41 magnum flavor.
The larger loop is much more comfortable to cock if you have larger hands or are wearing gloves. Especially in the larger calibers. Smaller loop works good in the 22 calibers. Grandkids are a little more comfortable shooting them, but mine don't mind the larger loop.

·
Registered
63 Posts
An update....

I just tried something today with my Henry carbine (had the day off after another out-of-town trip), and am very pleased.

I had seen a comment on the S&W forum about another forum... Levergun Scoundrels.
That sounded like a fun place, so I registered there... and found a couple of posts from 2016 and 2018... the former when Henry was just announcing the .327 chambering in their rifles & carbines, and the latter after some members had bought them.

Apparently, the early advertising from Henry claimed it could fire .327 Federal, .32 H&R Magnum... AND .32 S&W Long!

Two or three guys who had bought it also confirmed that it could fire .32 S&W Long... so I had to try that.

While the carbine holds 7 .327 Fed or .32 H&R rounds, it holds 10 .32 S&WL.
I fired Aguila 98gr lead roundnose, PPU 98gr lead roundnose, and Magtech 98gr lead hollowpoint. The hollowpoint is about 1/8" shorter than the round-noses.

All three types functioned well, with the only problem occurring when I had the carbine on its left side while slowly closing the action - the round's tip fell a bit to the left and caught, I pulled just a bit on the rim and it popped right back into proper place. That was the first round (Aguila), I held it upright with only a little tilt to either side for all subsequent rounds, which loaded and fired perfectly.

In all, I fired one 10-round string with each ammo type, and mixed 8-round and 7-round strings with all 3 types in each string (a total of 15 rounds of each type, 45 overall), and everything worked perfectly.

The mass of the carbine meant that I could just barely feel the .32 S&W Long rounds going off - it felt like I was firing .22LRs in a lightweight rifle.

However, as the Aguila is available at $22.95/50 rounds at Sportsmen's Warehouse, and the Magtech hp at Impact Guns for $29.95/50 rounds (compared to $33.00 & up for .32 H&R and .327 Fed), I have a low-cost ammo choice for plinking and casual shooting!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Big Boy carbine with brass receiver in 45 and my wife and I both have 22 carbines. We both love shooting them and never have had a single malfunction after several thousand rounds.

I enjoy my BBB so much I’d like to have a 357 carbine with brass receiver too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Another big fan of the Henry Big Boy Steel. Mine is in .357

Also, for those that are interested, revolverguy.com did a couple really good, objective reviews of the Big Boy:

41 - 45 of 45 Posts