Ruger Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
I figured but was not certain. I wonder if the real Mr. Henrys ghost feels ripped off yet again!
Henry rifles were originally made/sold by the New Haven Arms Company which became Winchester Repeating Arms Company.
I guess you would need to buy a Winchester lever gun to have a direct linkage to Benjamin Tyler Henry.

That being said, I love my Henry H001 .22 lever gun.

I doubt Benjamin Henry would feel ripped off, by a company that makes quality rifles in the USA which bears his name.

Henry rifles were originally made/sold by the New Haven Arms Company which became Winchester Repeating Arms Company.
I guess you would need to buy a Winchester lever gun to have a direct linkage to Benjamin Tyler Henry.

That being said, I love my Henry H001 .22 lever gun.

I doubt Benjamin Henry would feel ripped off, by a company that makes quality rifles in the USA which bears his name.
Yes I did not mean Henry is ripping off Mr. Henry. When I read the closer details of Mr. Henrys life, it seems he felt they (Winchester) tricked him into selling his patent too cheap. Even though they paid him quite well. (About 2 million in last years money, and about 3 million this years money). So my guess is his ghost is going to feel salty even if he has a statue built in his honor someone tears down in a few hundred years....🤣🤣🤣
Henry is a great company and I want a lever. Something I do not have.

Well here's Henry's own history from their website. Wikipedia has them being used in limited quantities during the Civil War.

"One Confederate officer is credited with the phrase, “It’s a rifle that you could load on Sunday and shoot all week long.”

I once read that that quote was attributed to the Spencer .52...

I got to say Henry makes a darn fun little .22! Works perfect every time. Puts a smile on our faces every time. Mrs. Yucca loves it! ;)
Revolver Hat Cap Gunshot Air gun

Just as an aside on old west guns, I had always thought the schofield was a rifle. After I learned to look into things before I assumed it turns out it was actually a smith and wesson .45 cartridge mostly used in pistols. And here I was thinking a schofield was a a scoped western style break action single shot. I have no idea why I thought that. Maybe one too many sketti westerns?

I really, really want to like Henrys and own a Big Boy lever action, but here's why I don't.

Back in December 2021, I bought my first and last Henry, an AR7. Normally, I inspect the barrel bore before buying a gun, but not this time (I don't know why, but lesson learned). I always clean and lubricate my guns on getting it home; I noticed a linear scratch in the same direction as the long axis of the barrel. I was unable to remove it despite cleaning the barrel bore several times. I have to credit Henry for repairing it quickly and paying for shipping both ways, but their communication about updates was poor.

I don't think I'm a complainer or a fussy, perfectionistic owner; I own three Rugers, three Glocks, three Mossbergs, and two Smith & Wessons, and have not a single problem with, much less a complaint about, any of them.

Back to Henrys. In January 2022, an acquaintance at the gun store where I bought that AR7 returned his Henry lever action back there to have it shipped to Henry for repair (he bought an extended warranty from the gun store to have them take care of shipping). I asked him what was wrong, though I didn't ask him for the model or caliber of the lever action. He said that there were two problems: the loading gate and Pic rail mount both fell off not while he was firing it, but either while he was doing the initial cleaning or dry firing (I can't recall which).

Finally, as someone mentioned about, the consensus in Cowboy Action Shooter (CAS) forums is that the Henry Big Boy lever action guns are being limited to either rapid fire or firing reliably, but not both. They call the guns "cheap" and "jam-o-matics," particularly when shot quickly. I didn't see one positive comment about them in the forums.

Ahh, Love my Henry's- All 14 of um. Levers, Single shots & Shot guns. Beautiful products, well made, 100% sourced & manufactured right here in the good ole USA. Great craftsmanship and just good people. Now I can't wait to add to my collection of existing Marlins with the new Ruger Marlins. Hoping Ruger can match the Henry's when they start releasing more models. Until then Henry has my Heart.

I have been thinking of getting a Henry 22 or 22magnum or maybe even a 357 magnum someday. I had my Grandfather's Winchester lever for a while until I had to hand it down to another family member for a period. It would rotate through the family that way. It was used by my Grandfather for deer hunting after his shift in the PA coal mines during the depression. It had a long octogon barrel and was marked 30 WCF and expressly for smokeless powder. Oddly enough the patent date was my birthday but back in 1894. Last I saw it was still in great shape but my wife would never let me take it out for some range time.

I remember some years ago watching a show where they were visiting the site of a battle with the locals of the time and found some 41 Henry rimfire rifle casings still sitting in the desert. There's probably all sorts of things left there but access is restricted by the military. I think it was on a weapons range not being used at the time.

I bought a Henry AR7 7 years ago. No complaints. New shooters love it.

I gave my grandson a H001Y last year for his 8th birthday. It recently developed an issue where it will not eject a spent round on an empty magazine. Haven’t figured that one out yet. Grandson loves it anyway.

My Octagon Frontier 22 Magnum had a loose front sight right out of the box. I fixed immediately with Loctite because I am impatient sometimes but Henry did promptly send me a new sight. It’s my favorite long gun for varmint control and to plink with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned something today about Henry Repeating Arms ... they have only been in existence for 25 years. Henry rifles have always been held in high esteem and I just always thought that they were older than 2 1/2 decades.
The original Henry rifles predate Winchester. If I remember correctly, Winchester worked for Henry and designed some of the Henry rifles, most of which were brass framed in the 1800's, before starting his own company. The current company has no real connection to the original, other than the name.

I learned something today about Henry Repeating Arms ... they have only been in existence for 25 years. Henry rifles have always been held in high esteem and I just always thought that they were older than 2 1/2 decades.
Funny timing for me on this topic. I ordered the Golden Big Boy .357 20" Octagonal last week, it's currently in transit. In the process of determining what I ended up getting, I never came across anything negative about Henry Rifles. They may not have the tradition/nostalgia like some others but sure look to have extremely great quality and craftsmanship.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.