Discussion Starter #1
my uncle gave it to me.
9mm speed six.
anyone care to tell me about it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well the Speed Six and Security Six have been discontinued for some time now and parts (which you'll rarely, if ever, need are getting pretty short). That's the bad news.

The good news is you have a great gun there. I have one in the same configuration but w/adjustable sites, probably not much of a feature in such a short barrel gun.

Some say they have Ruger's best DA trigger ever made. Many were used for Police and security use which was their target market.

They're very reliable and you should cherish it. There's nothing out there new or old that is that much better to make you trade.

You can trace the SN on Ruger's website to find out when it was made. There are no significant production changes.
Many have centered their collection around the Security/Speed six line.

Nice piece, I hope you keep it.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Speed-Six in 9mm...gettin' into the rare side of things there! Pretty cool actually! Those were made when 9mm was just getting big in the US (late '70's and early '80's) and several manufacturer's were making 9mm revolvers to woe buyer's!

If you wanted to carry that revolver, I would recommend an XS Sights Big Dot Tritium front sight and (if needed) a set of Hogue grips! Just grab moon clips whenever you see them and enjoy! I doubt there's a 9mm round that it can't handle! I know a few guys who buy only the Winchester Ranger +P+ 9mm round for their Ruger 9mm Revolvers (they have SP101's) and they love them!

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Moon clips?

Speed-Six in 9mm...gettin' into the rare side of things there! Pretty cool actually! Those were made when 9mm was just getting big in the US (late '70's and early '80's) and several manufacturer's were making 9mm revolvers to woe buyer's!

If you wanted to carry that revolver, I would recommend an XS Sights Big Dot Tritium front sight and (if needed) a set of Hogue grips! Just grab moon clips whenever you see them and enjoy! I doubt there's a 9mm round that it can't handle! I know a few guys who buy only the Winchester Ranger +P+ 9mm round for their Ruger 9mm Revolvers (they have SP101's) and they love them!

Enjoy!!!
If I recall correctly, moon clips were not required with the Ruger 9mm revolvers. The 9mm cartridges' extractor groove engaged a spring extractor attached to the ejector star. A pretty neat setup.

The 9mm Sixes (Security Six, Service Six and Speed Six) are highly prized. I would love to have one myself. Congratulations.

Lost Sheep

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I think Lost Sheep is right on the Six series 9MM - no moon clips needed. Called the Pilorget ejector - here's the patent drawings:

Patent US3982346 - Cartridge or cartridge case ejectors for revolver cylinders - Google Patents

SP101 9mm does use moon clips like most other revolvers.

bobski - that old Ruger you have is really worthless and of no use to you shooting clays. I'll send you my addess so it won't trouble you any further and you'll have more room in your safe for shotguns.... :D

Wave

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Saw some Ruger 9mm moon clips yesterday at the LGS, but I don't know for which model....

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a 9mm speed six and half moon clips are required or you can use a dowel to push out the shells, as explained on the sticker on the original box.. Some earlier ones did not require the clips. Don't think there are many that don't require the clips.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i wont be putting lipstick on this gun. i'll just use it the way it is....
sitting in a drawer loaded.

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts
Sounds like it is in the right spot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'de love to see a pic of THAT
Thanks to Waveform for the patent drawings. I do not have a picture of a 9mm revolver and in truth have never seen one, but have read descriptions in reviews of the Ruger 9mm Six revolvers when they were first produced.

The Medusa revolver also has a similar ejector system. The cartridges also headspace on the extractor system, allowing use of 9m Luger, 9mm Makarov and 380 Auto in the same gun. I have not seen one of these revolvers, either, but the system is ingenious.

Lost Sheep

·
Registered
707 Posts
If I don't misunderstand the omission, that would be a shame. This gun deserves (and your marksmanship practice, too) to be taken to the range and exercised.

Lost Sheep

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
nehhh, i have others to wear out and ruin. this ones in the shape its in because it wasnt taken to the range. my uncle must have known something.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
It looks very nice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts